Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#305191 04/07/14 10:32 AM
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Looking at the fisher manual said they use f.s 614 to seal ends of windshield rubber seals where they meet at end of the lower seal.and should i run the lower seal all the way across and bring the side seals down to it,or should it be the other way around. it is on my 31 4dr sedan special.

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

oboy #305199 04/07/14 01:11 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
For my '31 Coach, I ran the new bottom seal full length, but about 1/8" short on each end, and filled that gap with silicon caulk. Then I shaped the bottom ends of each side rubber to match profile of bottom seal (and accomodate curve at bottom of windshield post)and to fit snug to bottom seal, while not worrying about a water tight fit as lower seal was already water tight.
Once bottom of side pieces was a good profile, I put in place and cut any excess off top of these pieces (they are supplied a bit longer than necessary). Finally, at the top it seems they need a little of the flanges trimmed inside and out to fit the shapes of the window frame/channel and the eventiual trim piece which goes on inside.
Once you have the pieces cut to a good fit, install for a trail fit of windshield and ensure glass unit rises and lowerws easily before securing things in place.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks thats what i'm doing now is to prefit everything,just ordered the side metal pieces from Mr. wallace he had sent 1/2 wide side channels had to have them reworked to fix 1/4 glass so i'm trying to get it all prefitted,before i glue it all the channels to the glass.

oboy #305217 04/07/14 07:38 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I had a new windshield made for mine using the old glass as a pattern. When the glass company glued on the side channels, they had not measured carefully the original completed windshield (before they removed the side channels), and so did not put the side channels on tight enough to the edge of the glass. So of course the windshield would not fit in the car, about 1/8" too wide. So I had to take it back to them and have them remove both side channels (siliconed in place, not easy to remove without breaking the glass) and reglue them to exact dimensions I gave them (it differs top and bottom!). It was difficult to figure out the perfect dimensions once the original windshield had been disassembled, so I erred on the short side and it is about 1/16" narrower than it should be, but fits in channel rubbers pretty well. So my lesson, if you are changing the side rails, it is critical to have the over all width as close to perfect as possible, otherwise you get too tight or too loose a fit.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I can see what your saying,it would be nice to nail the metal side rails to the wood and let the glass slide inside the metal channel.Would anybody know?

oboy #306003 04/17/14 09:52 AM
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Glass sliding in a metal channel is sure to result in breakage or chipping the edges. It will also not produce a good enough seal to prevent air and moisture leaking past the edges.

The metal protecting the glass sliding in a rubber or fabric channel will result in a better seal and less chance of damage.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My thinking was to put felt in the channels to keep it from chipping,the glass is now safety glass.and the felt would work like our new cars,keeping the wind out,you must realy half to lube that rubber up good, or you will have a lot of drag on the windshield reg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.