Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#303190 03/11/14 08:29 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
My Parts are ordered from Billy Possum and I'm raring to go! I've done some searching and have struck out on resource material. I would like to check Tolerances if Guide to these is available. Thanks, Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Al,
I have looked and can't find my notes for when I rebuilt my transmission a couple of years ago. I'll offer some disjointed comments, and hopefully others will join in.

My most recent tranny rebuild was on a 1931 transmission.
The shifting was very sloppy and extremely noisy.
After I opened it up, I found the main shaft to be worn as well as the primary drive gear. Found new ones of both.

Now -- here's where the fun begins... I can't remember the clearance that I was striving for, but it seems to me to be about 4 or 5 thousands... This is between all of the spaces on the main shaft... When I initially measured, mine had over three times that amount!!!

Once you add the thicker (newer) spacers, the shifting becomes much "tighter". And with a new shaft - and bushings - the entire assembly is so much more stable/steady/smoother/quiet.

I remember having to finally make one of my spacers... It seems that the only ones that I could find didn't quite fill in the void enough. And, off the top of my head, I don't remember, but it seems that there may have been three of them in there.

I'll keep looking for my notes and photos... If someone else has more information, please jump in.
stressed

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
You should be able to get the bearing shaft and housing fits from the net.Just enter the bearing number it will give you the major bearing sizes in mm.Another chart will give you the fits in inches.You should get some inside and outside mikes. To get acurate dimenshions.Rule of thumb for bushing clearances is .001 per inch of shaft diamiter.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thank You for the replies. I'm well equipped with past experience and tools. It's really good to hear from those who have done this before. Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.