Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
37ryan Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Need to move the radiator 1/2" forward from original position to allow for fan belt removal using a 261 in a 37 sedan. Bought Patricks shortshaft waterpump kit and the "Adapter plate" but found each one needs the 1/2". From what these old eyes can see peeking thru the crooks and cravases around the radiator it looks as tho it is dooable if the radiator fill neck clearance hole thru the cowl is elongated, and 1/2" is removed from the sheet metal air deflector at the bottom of the radiator. I hope the radiator support bracket can be left alone with the radiator being shimmed forward or the mounting flange attached to the radiator altered to get the 1/2". I'm trying to psych out the work required before rolling up my sleeves and delving into this and was wondering if anyone has been thru this or has knowledge of what I'm getting in for. Thanks in advance for your input.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I am having the same issues with a 57 235 in my 37 p/u,I have a 54 water pump on the adapter and only have 1/4 between the fan and radiator and I would be screwed if I had to change the belt on the road. I have been doing some research on different fans I seen on ebay and this forum and have found what looks to be a original 37 truck fan that should give me a extra 1/2 inch from what I have with the present fan,it presently has a 49 to 54 car fan which looks to stick out further then a original. I have found that the fans various vendors sell is the 49 to 54 car style which was probably the replacement from the dealer way back when since its the last design fan for those motors,if you do not have the original 37 fan I think the fans up to one from a 41 car might leave a little more space. I am going to go to a local old junkyard if its nice this weekend to see what I can find if the fan I have coming does not work.

VCCA #45194

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.