Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I test-drove and bought a '48 Fleet yesterday.

From about 20 mph on up to 45 or 50, the entire vehicle shudders violently. I mean the doors are bouncing and all kinda weird stuff. It certainly doesn't seem like simple tire balancing issues.

Could this be a driveshaft or axle issue? I grabbed wheels and rocked for bearing slop, checked for loose components and whatnot, just can't imagine what would cause this.

This car is still in Seattle, and I'm in the San Jose area, so I can't work on it or see it at the moment.

Thanks for any wisdom in advance!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Does it have old bias ply tires, and was it sitting for quite a while, and was it was kinda cold in Washington?

Older bias tires get what we used to call "flat spots" from sitting around - especially when it is colder out, especially when they get older. When you start driving on them, it can feel like the whole world is falling apart, magnitude 9.3.

How we used to deal with this is by driving at lower speeds for a couple of miles. Once they get warmed up from road friction, they will smooth right out, and life is good.

Or maybe it's something completely different. But from what you describe and the checks you made, it's a good bet you have just learned about Flat Spots.

Chevy Guru
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yep, skinny bias plies, cold in Seattle, certainly sitting.

You know, flat spots crossed my mind, but there are no cracks in the tires, and they felt quite soft and pliable, so I didn't give the flat spots any further thought.

But I bet you're onto something.

I guess I will probably lift the car when not in use so I can avoid these issues down the road.

Can't wait to get the car in-hand and get to the bottom of someof these issues.

The tappets seem quite noisy too, so I'll check adjustments and see if they get any quieter.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
You normally can't see Flat Spots - but you can definitely feel them for the first few miles.

Chevy Guru
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

You might want to check to see if a spark plug wire has come off.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
FF,

Jack it up.

Hand spin the tires to see if the fronts have any out-of-round or blance problem. The balance will manifest itself by the tire going back and forth until it settles down. Rock the wheel in and out to check the king pins, etc.

As to the rear wheels make sure the car is SECURE and run it in gear to turn the rear wheel(s). Notice any shaking. Observe for any out of round condition. You may have to block the dominant right rear tire in order to check the left (rear).

You can tell a lot about the car's shudder by going through this simple test. You can do this test one wheel at a time if its more convenient. It may even be safer to do so.

Ray is right on if the shudder is coming from the engine.

Good luck,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Speaking for myself...I've left my car sometimes for years at a time, and never experienced flat spots...Bias ply, and pretty old...The only issue I worry about is if these old tires might fly apart at higher speeds...A loose plug wire you'd probably notice even at idle...Maybe check the harmonic balancer...?

But, I would suspect the drive line...Like a bad u-joint...Might try getting up to speed and push in the clutch and "coast"...See if that makes any difference...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes, I did the 'coasting' thing, and it still shook.

All plug wires connected, she purrs for the most part, save for what is probably a valve adjustment needed for some clickety tappets. Are these solid lifters or hydraulic on these ol' 216's?

Flat spots on all four tires would definitely cause the wild ride that this thing is exhibiting. The doors sound tight when it's going down the road, but they literally flex in and out rapidly while the whole body shakes! It's quite the sight.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Solid...Flat spots I would think would give you "bumpy" ride, rather than a "shaky" ride...

It also sounds like maybe front wheel alinement...When you get it look to see if all the tires are the same brand...Maybe someone nailed a curb or bent something in the past...

Last edited by kevin47; 01/27/14 04:07 PM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Kevin, you're not too far from me (a few hours).

Let me know if there are any shows you go to where I can get a look at your car!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Don't forget the torque tube bushing, although 20 mph seems a bit slow for this to show up. From poor memory, as a 13 year old, seems this shows up 45 to past 65. They can shake you pretty hard.

Luck to you - - -

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Check the wear pattern on the tires, too. That might give some indication...If it's worn front end parts...King pin slop is pretty obvious to see..

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Back in the 60's I used to have trouble with flat spots on bias ply tires in cold weather, even on the "modern cars" I was driving at the time. Like previously mentioned, they usually smoothed out after a couple miles. I would imagine that on the '48 the shocks are low on fluid and that makes the situation even worse. Bad King pins combined with no shocks and flat spots will give you quite a rough ride!

Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (m006840, beachbum, kaygee), 75 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,061
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.