Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#298620 01/13/14 11:08 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can someone advise me on how to repair the dented roof on this PU. I have attached a photo link.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/tnadams/slideshow/

Terry

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
turn in upside down on a hard flat serfice and walk on it, this will make it flat and then turn right side up use body hammers to round out.
Al

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I've seen fenders that were badly dented and repaired using heat only and they came out perfect. I would suggest looking for someone that has that talent if not to do the work at least to offer advice. You are wise to get as much information as you can before attacking it with a hammer and perhaps making the job more difficult.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Al and Steve6 for the tips. I viewed a video where they used a 2X6 and a tall jack to push up the roof on a van. Thought about it and if I tried it I would put a sandbag on the 2X6 to eliminate the sharp corners and give it some curve … but not sure if I want to take the chance of creating a dunce cap roof though. Right now the doors and front window frame fit, so there doesn’t appear to be any damage there. I am not in a real hurry to get this done so I have time for more advice and suggestions.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I had a Dodge van that had a caved in roof from too much wet snow on it. I laid down on one of the rear bench seats, put my feet on the underside of the dent, and then gently pushed the dent out.

This technique might just pop it back into place.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If you don't have a port-o-power the jack and sandbag idea can work. As bad as that looks keep in mind that what's holding the dent are the buckles around the edge. The metal is work hardened. As you push up with the jack go slow. At some point most of the dent will pop out but the buckles will remain. At that point use a large face body hammer to lightly strike the buckles while maintaining upward pressure with the jack. Keep in mind that too much pressure can result in stretched metal and additional problems. Some moderate hammer and dolly work should get you close enough for filler. If you've never done body work I would recommend consulting with someone who has. This really isn't a beginner level job. Good luck with it.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the information. I also have two doors needing skins and will take them to a shop for repair - will also get a quote on the roof.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Frank T. Sargent wrote a book about Metal Bumping about 50 Years ago. It's available through Martin Tools. Basically what you need to remember is "first in, last out" as far as the dent goes. Take your time; do some research on the sheet metal working sites, ask some questions of the pro/hobbyists there; check with your local community college about a night class, as well.

'33 MASTER PARTS WANTED ~ ESPECIALLY SHEET METAL! RADIOS & "TRINKETS; TOO.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
A long time friend just loaned me Frank's book. He's a sheet metal hobbyist who is presently resurrecting a '32 Brand X roadster for a customer. He recommended the book, as he refers to it occasionally while working on a project. The book is entitled: "The Key to Metal Bumping" by Frank T. Sargent. Subtitle - An Instructive Manual Of Body And Fender Repair Practices. Think I'll have to order a copy for my "library"! That'll make the old '33 Five Passenger Coupe look a bit better, I'm sure!!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the information - just ordered the book from Amazon.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi 37 Chevy Pickup. Wondering how you are doing with the roof repair on your Pickup? Any update or photos available? Let us know - what about the Metal Bumping book - I found it to be very informative. Thanks very much.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.