Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#297548 01/01/14 12:00 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I would like to reproduce the electrical harness I have with the best replacement wire in today time. Would it be best to get a roll? What Gauge? There should be two gauges... One from the starter to the dash and then all the same throughout the rest of the car. What about the best Idea to splice off to add a second break light? 1930 3 window coupe.
Steven

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you aware that complete authentic wiring harnesses are already available for your car? You can also purchase a harness that is set up for a second brake light as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ya its like $450.00 or so. Cant I make it for a lot less?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
It all depends. If you count your labor time and the cost for the wire.....and if you want to make the harness exactly like original, the answer is no. The cost of wire has sky-rocketed in the past few years. I just bought a 100 foot roll of 14 gauge wire and it was $27. You will need various gauges of wire and the original wiring harness was wrapped in a woven cloth. Also, the original individual wires were cloth covered as well.

If you do want to make your wiring harness like original you are better off purchasing the wiring harness already made. However, if you just want to do a non-original wiring harness with modern plastic wire, crimped fittings and etc. then no doubt you can do it a lot cheaper than the cost of the reproduction wiring harness.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well I just payed for the head and still have to pay for the short block and then there will be a new wood kit so saving money would be a good idea. The one I have has some frayed parts in it and I am afraid that the car might burn down.
Steven

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yep....you are finding out that these old cars are not cheap and that the hobby is getting more expensive every year. At any rate, if you are worried about your car catching fire with faulty wiring I would recommend going with a quality reproduction wiring harness.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It depends a lot on what your time is worth. As an old retiree, mine is not worth a lot but I still opted for the pre-made harness from Rhode Island Wiring. Pretty much a one day install is all it took.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I agree, if your trying to make your car as close to original than a RI or Y&Z's wiring harness is your best bet. You can also find some of them on Ebay now and then for less then you can buy them. That is how I have bought mine. I've gotten them for about half.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Y&Z has a turn signal/warning flasher box that they sell and they will construct the wire harness to adapt to it. Then with a LED light bar with turn signal ability that sticks to the rear window you have a second brake light, turn signals (that flash the parking lights too), and a warning flasher function. The turn signals are controlled from a toggle switch mounted under the dash so you don’t need a turn signal lever mounted on the steering Colum. I installed this wire harness with the turn signal box and light bar in my 29 (3) window coupe and am quite happy with it. Buying the harness pre-made is worth the cost!

Bill
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
For my '31 Special Sedan, I bought 150 ft. of 16 ga. from Ynz's for all my main wire and 10 ft. of 12 ga. for the generator to ammeter to starter wire. This included enough wire for my new turn signals and 3rd brake light too. The wire is authentic looking and works great. Cost with some fittings, etc was about $130. The harness is easy to make if you can copy the original. I'm retired too so my rate is zero! Solder all connectors! A smart guy on Chatter said to get an orange glass paint pen at the hobby store to color the light bulbs in my cowl light to make turn signals; that was a fabulous idea!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
A smart guy on Chatter said to get an orange glass paint pen at the hobby store to color the light bulbs in my cowl light to make turn signals; that was a fabulous idea!

That is a great idea!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.