Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#285208 07/31/13 07:38 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi folks,
After several months of not working on my 31 pickup because of medical problems.Iwas evaluating my next job on the pickup when I noticed a small puddle of heavy oil under the rear end. When I installed anew gasket last year I did not use loctite on the bolts. Should I use a mild or medium stregth loctite on the bolts. Thanks for your response.
Lee

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It should not be necessary for the cover, but it would be ok for the front mtg. bolts. I would recheck the cover bolts to be sure they are snug-they don't need to be to tight as I believe the cover gasket is cork. Good to see you back on line and hope your medical problems are behind you.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Try using some Loctite 515 Gasket Eliminator.It's a red to light claret colour,and if you wipe a smear on the bolt threads,it will stop any oil from seeping out along the threads.You can also put it on both sides of the gasket,and it will seal up really well.By itself without a primer,it will seal up to a 0.020" gap,if there's any distortion in the cover.

CJP'S 29
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Never used the Loctite product but have used Permatex No. 2 (non hardening) for over 40 years. Continue to use it as I have found it is an valuable asset to leak elimination.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Steve CJP and Chipper for the suggestions. Looks like a project for this fall.
Lee

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Chipper
Never used the Loctite product but have used Permatex No. 2 (non hardening) for over 40 years. Continue to use it as I have found it is an valuable asset to leak elimination.
I agree!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by chevy1937
Originally Posted by Chipper
I agree!

I agree

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Same here.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Crikey,talk about putting a bloke down just because he makes a suggestion! bonk

CJP'S 29
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Don't worry about it CJP's 29.

Its very regrettable that you try and help someone and come away from the experience wondering why you bothered in the first place

Luckily there are a few of us here in OZ that know you don't have to live in the USA to be a Chev "expert"

Sadly these guys are not aware that you have forgotten more about Chevs than some of them will ever know.

In the early days I too would post numerous replies to help fellow Chev owners, and again the same feeling.

Now, stick with the photos, most appreciate them, low frustration factor, every body happy.

Regards from a friend of CJP's 29

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I also made a post to add another possible option. I surely didn't intend to put you down, just state the fact that I had never used the locktite product but did have many years experience with the Permatex. If you interpreted otherwise I apologize for being unclear.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have used and sold many Loctite and Permatex products and both items listed would be good for the situation listed. I do however believe the question was related to using Loctite to keep the bolts tight rather than a sealing compound. CJP29 makes a good point however regarding sealing the bolts as that's possibly where the leak is originating.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
That's what the original post was about-if people bothered to read it properly,oil weeping out along the threads of the rear cover bolts,or between the housing & gasket or cover & gasket or both,and that's why I suggested using the Loctite 515 Gasket Eliminator.We used it at work on very large electric mill rolling motors to seal between the bearing pedestals & the bearing caps,and never had any leaks at all.But it's patently obvious that there are a few people on this site who seem to think Australians know SFA about working on,and finding solutions to problems that arise on old Chevs,whether they be 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder models. bonk

CJP'S 29
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I don't believe that any of us are suggesting that the Loctite product will not do what you claimed. I (and I suspect the others that posted) have years experience that Permatex No. 2 will also eliminate or reduce leaks. That presents an alternative to the Loctite particularly since Loctite products are not as widely available in the USA.

In fact if only sealing threads Permatex Aircraft Form a Gasket No. 3 has been used to both lubricate and seal head bolts and oil pan bolts and even recommended in Chevrolet literature. There may be a similar Loctite product of which I am unaward.

Last edited by Chipper; 08/04/13 11:13 AM. Reason: added info

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Lighten up!! Nobody is trying to 'put anybody down'. We are merely offering suggestions and opinions which is what this forum is for.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by VCCA13
Lighten up!! Nobody is trying to 'put anybody down'. We are merely offering suggestions and opinions which is what this forum is for.

I agree to the purpose of a forum, but part of the deal is people listen, and consider what others have to offer. We all remember listening don't we. That's what we do when we stop talking. Everyone has the right to express an opinion, and we should at least listen to what others are suggesting.

Time and again I see ideas that I would have given an arm and a leg to have known 40 years ago, swept aside as the main stream thinks something else.

As an after thought guys, think of the guy you go to for help and assistance in your town of state when the old Chevy stumps you with a problem. Well, this is one of our problem solvers in OZ that is telling us he feels like he is being put down.

Loosing knowledge like that from this site would be a great loss to the movement.

Just my penny and dimes worth.

Lighten up, yes! And listen to others yes!

Cheers

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I do agree that listening is important, however I will reserve the right to make my own decisions. Not having any experience with a product does not mean that I do not appreciate the feedback from someone who has. The best reference on most things is from someone who has first hand experience. That does not mean that other opinions and experiences should not be expressed.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi everyone:
I was just going through my e-mails concerning the "strength of loctite to use on the rear end" that I originally posted. It seems I have created a controversy by me not being more specific.

I had tightened the cover bolts before and thought they were loose again. My intention was to put loctite on each of the cover bolts to keep them from loosening again.
Now I intend to put permatex as a sealer and use loctite on the threads.

I am sorry if any misunderstanding occurred.

I am very new at working on any motor vehicle, but since retirement from working on CAT Scanners, I have enjoyed learning more about my 1931 Chevy pickup which I obtained two years ago.

Please accept my apologizes if I misled anyone.

I'm in a long learning curve with a short time span.

I enjoy reading the posts on here and learn a lot from them and I will continue to do so.
Lee

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is no reason for you to apologize.
Just that every one likes to get in their 2 cents worth and at times the facts get lost in the process.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you have split lock washers on the bolts there should be no reason to use loctite. If you still decide to use a thread locker make 100% sure to only use the minimum strength. Any stronger will be very difficult to remove if you want to take off the cover. Also make sure the threads are clean as oil and grease and probably Permatex will effect the bond.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. I will be following Chippers advice when I complete the job. The bolts have split lock washers on them but are still coming loose. Maybe new lock washers also as these appear to be flattened out.
Thanks again, Lee

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

hello,just a thought from a true rookie---I had a problem years ago with split,or,lock washers allowing screws to loosen...I was advised to purchase NEW lock washers,as the old ones may have lost the "spring" in them which is what causes them to lock the screws from loosining....guess what...IT WORKED !! GOOD LUCK !!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Flattened lock washers are worse then worthless. They must have the spring to dig in and resist backing out.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi everyone,
I would like to thank chipper and jay32249 for solving my problem of oil leaking from my differential. It seems I was trying to cover up a problem by using loctite or permatex when the actual problem was flattened lock washers. On your recommendations I replaced all the lock washers and re-torqued the bolts. When I went back to recheck the torque after a couple of months it was the same as when I installed the washers. Before the bolts were coming loose.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I never heard of replacing lock washers until several years ago when my rear end locked up on a tour. on opening the banjo I found that a lock had broken, half dropped out and fell in to the gearing, locking up the ring and pinion and imprinting its image on both gears. now I have a stock of locks and when doing anything always replace them.

they don't make em like they usedta
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.