Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#287611 08/26/13 03:29 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Note: This is another of my long, blah, blah postings. Open at your own risk.

Having driven the Interstate some with one or two of the 41s I have owned over the years and back when the speed limit was 55, I have found that it wasn't too bad. I drove from Fort Rucker, AL (Near Dothan) to Fort Bragg, NC (Near Fayetteville) both ways several times in my 41 town sedan. (It's long gone.)

I didn't seem to hold up traffic all that much and going along at about 50 mph meant that the closing rate of other motorists on my rear was sufficient for them to make plans to go around me without getting upset or having to throw on brakes and all that negative stuff that could result given the particular circumstances of traffic load.

Now a-days out on Interstate 95, it seems that some of those cars are going 15-20 MPH (80-90 or so) over the speed limit and thus would have a much shorter closing rate on me and the 41 a-chugging along at 50 or so. (I know that I could probably go faster but not fast enough and, besides, that is not the point here. I DON't want to go that fast and, at the same time I don't like feeling that I'm holding someone up. I robs me of what little joy there is in driving/touring whatever).

Even driving my more modern vehicles at the posted speed limit and about 5 MPH or above, most of the other drivers make me feel like I'm standing still. You know what I mean. If they are from FL they can't wait to get back to NY. If they are from NY then they can't wait to get to Disney World or Key West or whatever. Only drivers that seem to not be in a hurry to get back north are those with Canada license plates. I wonder why that is? Agrin (Brewster, I just had to do it.)

Given the above, I can understand when our clubs choose back roads to tour. Problem there is that such touring vehicles tend to back up traffic. Even there. There generally is not enough space between the participating vehicles for other motorists who choose to pass either one at a time of several of the touring vehicles when the circumstances permit, to do so.

Then that log-jam (parking lot) causes the leader to speed up so as not to hold up traffic (he can see the train of vehicles in his rearview mirror every time he or she comes around a bend or curve in the road) and pretty soon we find that the touring vehicles are zipping along through the countryside faster than they would like to. The lovely scenery is flashing by and you have no time to wave back at folks a-sitting on their porches and pointing at you.

If the tour does pull off at a country store or some other convenient place then the folks you have been holding up, may pull off too and give you a piece of their minds. They're not happy being held up. Even on back roads where traffic is light. A few years ago I witnessed an irate driver stop and fussed us out for holding him up. He was pretty angry. devildance

What do you folks in the club do when planning a tour. With todays speeds on the Interstates, I can understand avoiding them. But how do you get around holding up traffic on back roads and irritating other drivers who are not interested in following your vehicles as you tour along looking at crops, chickens, farm animals and the scenery along the chosen scenic route?

I suppose there are tried and true back-road routes that better lend them to touring but who wants to see the same scenery year after year? Who wants to feel wind beaten from having had to "fly" down the road before arriving at the sites along the tour route or completion of the tour?

Owing to what is offensive to others by our behavior and the seemingly never-ending quest of some for the rest of us to never offend, isn't it time that the club discourages tours? Will that prevent another catalyst for road rage. Some people want to get to the 7/11 or to a party and don't want no tour group a-holding them up. They may have stopped somewhere and gotten them a cold six-pack. Who wants to get home with warm beer? Mercy! What to do.

How does the regional clubs handle this, perhaps growing, problem? Last tour I was on (Not VCCA) we took back roads. We were flying down the road. No fun.

I'd wondered about this and would appreciate your input.

I'm thinking about putting some kind of an apology on the back of my 41 to let the driver behind me know that I sure am sorry about a-holding them up. Double mercy!

Charlie computer

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

DFC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Wow! that was quite a posting ,Charlie. You make some very good points. As a member who has helped organize national and regional tours I can say that a lot of effort is expended choosing tour routes and stops so that WE are as safe as possible. Worrying about what the late model 'hotrods' think of us delaying them is wasted emotion. In urban areas we are better off staying reasonably close together to minimize attempts to pass us. Usually we would be close to the speed limits in that case so they shouldn't NEED to pass us. On country roads with 55 mph limits we might be doing 35-40 so spreading out to allow passes is 'driving friendly'. Many of us choose to do that. In 10+ years of VCCA touring I have not been on a tour where a club vintage vehicle had a wreck due to or involving a modern ride.
The roads are increasingly congested since we seem to promote immigration (an idiot policy sustained for political reasons). New roads are rarely built. Existing roads are poorly maintained. SO, more people, more cars, more electronic distractions. It's probably going to be increasingly difficult to tour safely. And yet more guys seem to want to use their vintage rides. Some even want to go fast. Road gears, overdrive trannies.
As far as the 'I' roads go, the 18 wheelers rule. I avoid them with my modern vehicles. Too many close calls requiring super brake systems and a lot of rubber on the road. The tours I've been on have stayed off them by design.
We all pay road taxes (at least those with liquid fuel vehicles! The electrics don't-is that fair?) We have a right to use the blacktop. The vintage rides will fit in don't sweat it ,Charlie.
Dan

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie... you should post an apology on the back of that '41. Maybe even mention the holding them up thing too!! Us Canadians are driving slow because we don't know what the heck is going on in your backward country. Miles per Hour??? What the heck is a mile??? 4200 feet, or 200 football fields (that are also measured the wrong length too!) How are we supposed to guess that?? How long are the hours in your country too??? Up here they are an hour long. I'm guessing they are 55minutes long down there? The only time I know what I'm doing down there is when I drive the '51 with it's speedometer (speedomiler??) in MPH... but then I've swapped out the rear end, so I don't really know if I'm going 10 fluid ounces faster or slower than 55 anyway??? Someday explain a fluid ounce to me! Really, we all just pick the slowest car we see down there and try to stay ahead of it. (often it's a '41 with an apology pasted on it's rump) You know, try to stay out of the foreign jail... kinda like you guys drive in Mexico.

Last edited by brewster; 08/26/13 05:55 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Charlie you have got to realize that you are driving a Chevy and it will have no problem keeping up with the traffic @ 55-60 mph on the interstate. There will be plenty of time and room for those that need to pass to do so. Stay away from the cities and times when the late risers are late for work or just getting out and you will be fine. Unless you have tacks on the gas pedal and drive barefoot just push that dang thing down and get her movin. I have a 32 and have driven (on tours) on the Interstates in New York and Iowa with no problems except to have to slow down and wait for the rest of the followers. There's no need to have a parade on the interstate or main roads as 3-4 cars traveling together can find places to pull over when necessary and with most tourers in the upper age group it's often necessary. If you plan your tours in areas that cater to and depend on tourist you will find most are glad to see you (and your money) and will be interested in your car. If you have to put a sign on your car just make one that says- Tourist-looking for a good place to spend my money. Most will be glad to give you some tips-and if they tell you to go to "Hell" let them know that its in Michigan and the Six Cyl Tour has already been there. There's nothing better than a cold ice cream cone when your in Hell!!

Steve D
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
[img:left][Linked Image from i5.photobucket.com][/img]

Bill
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
rbl2

Now that right there is downright funny! Agrin

At my age it sure could have that double meaning! I'm going to get me a sign like that made. I'm going to add, "So don't mess with me." Am too.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Love it ...

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I want a sign like that too laugh

Bill
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I got behind a Farmall Tractor hauling hay. It also had a sign saying, ( I Might Be Slow, But I'm Ahead Of You.)

Ken's 1940 Special Deluxe Sedan
1970 Cadillac Hearse
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I try to avoid those hay hauler's...clogs the radiator...

Besides, I pay taxes so I own a piece of the road, too...

Here in California, more than 5 cars being slowed up ( under 45 MPH ) can get you a ticket...from the CHP...

As for all that "fussing"...I say, "Hey buddy, eat my dust". laugh

Oh, I just noticed it said "Constipated" ...Now that is funny... laugh

Last edited by kevin47; 08/28/13 12:50 AM.

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
To all,

I was hoping that the truth of the matter about each of us having paid taxes and all, owned part of the road didn't need mentioning by me on the initial post.

Of course we pay our taxes, and of course we own a piece of the road, but that won't enter the mind of the fellow being held up because of no passing zones and such as drivers close behind us not passing when an opportunity presents itself, and everyone back there blaming the lead vehicle. (whee, long sentences. Bear with me.)

Alone as one vehicle out on the interstate, I think I cause less congestion behind me than on a back road. By "back road", I mean most state maintained two lane "non-interstate" roads not a winding, paved, rabbit trail. Most federal highways such as USes 1, 17, 29, 301, 401, 421, 601 etc here in NC are constructed so that there are long stretched that will allow plenty of passing opportunities, as in most other states. Still, some drivers will lie back there and not pass even when reasonable opportunities present themselves. Thus causing a bottle neck. You can imagine what happens when a 35 MPH tour is motoring along.

Point is at a time like the above, most any driver or tour leader may get the uncomfortable feeling that they need to:

a. Speed up and thus maybe making it even harder to pass you if you don't get up to a speed the follower wants to run.
b. Pull off and let the instant log jam go no by. (only to create another one in a mile or two down the road.
c. Make the usually unlawful arm signal for the follower(s) to come on around you.
d. When they do pass you, take the bird like a man and suck it up.

Owing a piece of the road by your taxes adds nothing to help the situation whilst you are motoring along well below the speed limit. After all, those others own a piece of the road, as well. Those that have mentioned this fact, are right on but, with respect, that may be understood as a given.

Thanks,
Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by kevin47

I pay taxes also but they don't spend it on the roads! The streets around here look like Verdun after a heavy shelling.

I take the highway to work M-F in my '61 Falcon (yes I know its a ford) at the minimum posted speed limit of 55mph. It likes it there, I like it there and the wild folks in those SUVs pass me at 80.

I'm sure i've become a regular part of the speed racers morning commute. Sort of like passing a statue on a bicyle.

I keep an eye on whats going on back there and while they do close at a decent clip I don't feel rushed or in danger. But that could all just be my adventurous viking nature or the fact that I don't give a rip.

RIP Trololo Man 1935-2012
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Lahti35
Originally Posted by kevin47

I pay taxes also but they don't spend it on the roads! The streets around here look like Verdun after a heavy shelling.
Beruit...After a heavy shelling... laugh Gotta watch for them pot holes...!

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
DFC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I believe it's about REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS. If your driving an Interstate you expect 65-80 on a 'clear' road. People just making 50-60 will cause a lot of high speed lane changes and more potential for wrecks. Two lane blacktop might have a 55 sign but that's a big MAYBE considering on-off sideroad traffic, overloaded trucks, farm tractors, animals on the road, etc. Some states (Texas for ex) have nice wide shoulders where you can 'drive friendly', pulling over to let backed up traffic pass. Otherwise drivers need to act like adults and suck it up if a caravan of vintage rides slows them down. And our tours overwhelmingly experience that.
CHP ticketing 'slow' drivers? Well, yeh it is California, Woody Gutherie would understand. Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.