Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I am getting set to try adjusting the timing on my '30 engine tomorrow. Following some of the other postings, I have the grease cup about 5/8" from side of motor, which places the #1 plug wire just a few degrees past 6 o'clock. I could move the dist counterclockwise a couple of degrees to get #1 right at 6 o'clock. (based on JTD's description that with #1 at 6pm, 18 degerres BTDC puts grease cup about a finger width from engine)

I had the distributor out to repin the drive gear, and inadvertently lost the marking tape for the rotor tip on the dist body. So my problem now is trying to figure just what tooth on the shaft gear to engage the cam drive. I have put it back in the same vicinity of where it was (based on oil pump fit), but fear it could be off a tooth. Is there any specific geometry which one can use to locate the distributor shaft/rotor button in the right tooth on cam?

If trial and error is only means, is there damage which can be done by having it off a tooth (or 2)?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
With the number one cylinder on compression and the timing mark lined up on 12 degrees, insert the distributor so that the rotor is pointing to the number one cylinder on the distributor cap. That should get you fairly close. Once the car is running fine tune the timing with a timing light so that you are on 18 degrees.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I will only add one little addition to what the dog wrote. With everything set as he recommended adjust the distributor body so that the points are just beginning to open. That is the point that the spark is generated.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks, to determine #1 is in compression stroke and not on exhaust stroke, I assume I need valve cover off to see intake valve is activating? Sorry to be a pest, I sometimes think they should call this site Mechanics for Dummies!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
With the #1 plug removed and your thumb plugging the hole, you should be able to feel the pressure build up on compression stroke.

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks for all the advice guys. Followed Dawg/Chipper advice, popped valve cover off and watched #1 intake open and close to figure I was on right cycle. Rotor/Distributor dropped in place just as Dawg said it would, though I had to turn oil pump shaft slightly to interlock. As per chipper, I advance timing a few degrees additional but have not yet used timing light. Car flashed up and ran smoothly today, nothing unusual except some small amount of smoke coming through vents in valve cover after 2 mile run. I've posted some pics to the left showing current project.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.