Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1950CFD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello just wanted to ask if anybody has tried a product called REVIVE from Chevy of the 40s???
The hood on my 1950 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe has heavy oxidation
and I was told that it can not be buffed, because there is not much paint left to buff... OR is there another product that maybe a member would like to recommend??
The rest of the paint on the car is in good condition so I am not in a hurry to paint the car

Thanks
Al #49427

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I've used a liquid called Nushine..O'reilly or Napa...worked very well..The trailer I used it on 10 years ago still shows some of the shine. Not bad for a ten buck investment. Bill

Old cars have always owned me.
1950CFD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for answering, I will give it a try
Al #49427

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Still a lot of "elbow" grease involved...In the old days they used anything from kerosine to tranny fluid...I prefer acetone...then wax...Depends much on what type paint is on there now...Is it the original...?

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If your Chevy still sports its lacquer paint, then I'd say you want a polish and a straight carnuba wax or poly sealant. I went through this last summer with my '47, which had oxidized lacquer and was (and still is) very thin. To get the shine back, I decided to roll the dice and wet sand it with a bucket of Dawn soap and water, a lot of running water, and 3M 2000 grit paper. I used 1500 in some spots but switched to 2000 since the paint was so thin.

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

After that, I used 3M perfect-it rubbing compound (very gently) on a buffer to get the haze off, followed by Turtle Wax "Black Box" glaze, then HD Poxy sealant. This is to seal and protect the paint after I buffed it. I hit it with two coats of carnauba wax for added depth and protection. I then left it alone the rest of the season and used spray detailer instead of car soap & water when I could. This helped keep the product on the paint and made the finish look better throughout the summer.

I'd recommend seeing how much paint you have on the car, and if its heavily oxidized, see if you can do something similar. If not, then a polish likeMeguair's Ultimate Polish and a good wax will get you some protection and perhaps a little pop back until you can have it painted. At the very least, you want to preserve what's there...and keep it from getting any worse.

Cheers, and post up some pictures if you can so we can see what you're working with.

Last edited by Daryl Scott; 08/06/13 03:03 PM.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

1950CFD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am not sure what kind of paint is on the car now but I can tell you that it was painted in 1970 (2nd paint job) with original paint so I guess that's lacquer??
I have never heard of using anything like kerosene or tranny fluid, but I have heard of acetone
I think, I am going to check with another paint shop,
it is only the hood so it should not be to expensive.
Thanks
Al #49427

1950CFD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Daryl
I think your pictures look great!! I am going to gather up all the advice that I am receiving and take my time and look for somebody with some [/b]old school talent[b]
I know its only the hood but I am not going to try it myself
(not that brave!)I will post some picture when its done.
Best Regards
Al #94927

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks Al, its not that difficult if you change your mind. The biggest problem people make (like I did once in high school), is use a cheap rubbing compound or an aggressive cleaner wax and press on the buffer. If you take your time and treat gently you can't make a mistake...or make it worse.

Good luck with the project, and if you find a local shop and it turns out great, share the finished product. Thanks!

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hey Al,

This isn't about Revive but I see your in southern calif. I've got a 1950 Deluxe I'd like to make some improvements on. I'm looking for an original grill for the car right now. Also, do you have any restorers you could refer me to? I'm in the Costa Mesa area.

Vdog

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hey Vdog, I'd like to be the first to say Welcome Aboard...! But, at the same time I need to caution you about where to post...We've got some "party poopers" 'round these here parts that will tell you where to "stick it"...If you know what I mean...lol

Try: Parts Wanted...Any and all questions are welcome...

Although watch out for that Charlie computer guy...He can get you into trouble... laugh ...Just kidding...Kevin

Again: Welcome, Welcome...We'd like to hear more about your '50...

Last edited by kevin47; 02/25/14 10:41 PM.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the warning. I've heard it all and read most of it, not a problem. I posted in Wanted btw. The car was Gramps' ride, purrs like a kitty. Needs a bunch of stuff especially paint but it's all there. Typical story sat in a garage for ever. Only taken out to the store and church etc etc.

Vdog

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
That's great...Still have Gramp's ride...It's like having a family heirloom...! Keep an eye peeled for stuff you might need on eBay...I picked up most of me stuff there...Kevin

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I use a liquid McQuire that is used to clean up base coat prior to clear coating The number slips my mind for now but it works well, is gentle and with a wax polisher with little pressure applied it takes off most of the oxidation on the baby blue paint used on the 52 when repainted in 1978.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.