Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
123 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi
This is greasemonkey 123 again. I don't know what I was thinking on the previous post. All my valve push rods were not all turning on my 235 engin.
I loosen them so they would rotate but some still tap. If I tighten them more they might not rotate.I was taking them down till all the clearance was out then a half a turn. Biut in doing that they didn't rotate. I think but could be wrong they should rotate. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Ps sorry for the previous post I meant 235 instead of 216

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by 123
Hi
This is greasemonkey 123 again. I don't know what I was thinking on the previous post. All my valve push rods were not all turning on my 235 engin.
I loosen them so they would rotate but some still tap. If I tighten them more they might not rotate.I was taking them down till all the clearance was out then a half a turn. But in doing that they didn't rotate. I think but could be wrong they should rotate. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Ps sorry for the previous post I meant 235 instead of 216

I think they still had two different 235s in '51; manual and auto trans. Manual trans engines had solid lifters and auto had hydraulic. Makes a big difference in how you adjust them.

Richard
Waverly, IA
123 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello
On that 235 engine 1951 with power guide trans what i am trying to find out . Do the valve push rods rotate with the engin running. some of mine did not so I backed off on them but now have a tap.There is hyd lifters in this engine.I hade them set with o clearnce plus one half turn.
any info would be appreciated thanks

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sometimes the push rods turn and sometime they don't. Do the correct valve adjustment and you will be fine.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
With the 235 hyd. valve lifter set them with the pistons at TDC @ zero clearance and then 1-1/2 turns.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The 1951 Power Glide 235 engine has hydraulic lifters.
To adjust the lifters it is nesessary to loosen the adjusting screw (with the engine running) til the lifter begins to tick. The slowly tighten till the clicking stops. The SLOWLY tighten another 1 1/2 turns. You must go slow to allow the oil to be pressed out of the lifter. If lifter is sticky repeat several times till the idle smooths out. Also should be done when the engine is hot and the oil thinned out.
The push rods may or may not torn - makes no difference. The push rods turn because the lifter is tirning. This is due to the fact the lifter is mounted off set to the cam lobe. The lifter can be turning but not the push rod.

Gene Schneider
123 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to all the guys for the info. Now to complete and go cruising
Thanks Again

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.