Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#271829 02/26/13 09:52 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Two other guys and I have been asked to put on an auto restoration class for a group of Life Long Learners (Older folks). Does anyone have an outline I could use as a start or a vidio that could be shown? Thanks.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You might consider looking at some Auto Restoration books. You could use Chapter titles to get an overall view of how you might present the material. Then each chapter or section would give you more specific ideas on what to cover and in what order. Hope this helps!

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I don't know if I still have the outline and course material any more. Three of us did a class for mature adults about 20 years ago. I remember that we started out with documentation and reference materials. Identification of exactly what you are going to work on is the first step. Making sure that you have legal ownership is second. With old cars and trucks sometimes the paperwork you receive with the vehicle is not 100% accurate. As an example I have a '18 Chevy 490 that is titled as a '16. The other numbers match but apparently when originally titled (likely many years after it was first sold) they wanted an '16 (first year for 490) instead of an '18. Then we went onto reference books, car clubs, museums, libraries that can provide accurate information on the vehicle.

After you understand what you are working on then the decision is how much work is to be done. Frame off, frame on, cosmetic, just preservation, upgrading, etc.? That should result in a "game plan".

After that you can then get into the major areas like: frame and suspension; drive train (engine, transmission, rear end); radiators & cooling; engine electrical (generator/alternator, starter, distributor); etc.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
You might contact McPherson College in Wichita, Kan. They offer a well known college level program. A Google search of Auto Restoration, McPherson College should give you a direct link.

MC | Auto Restoration | McPherson College

Heart of Route 66 Region (Okla) VCCA
Chevys: 1929 LQ 1.5T; 1930 LR 1.5T; 1932 BA 5 pass coupe; 1941 Chevy 1.5T US Army Fire Truck, my vintage '82 Chevy Motor Home

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.