Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#273633 03/21/13 11:25 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi all. I have recently been given what I believe to be a Maple Leaf 1945 coupe ute with a body by Holden Australia. I am trying to find any info possible. Have seen a few photos from this year of production, but few have same "extra" cab shape. Suggestion on where to find any history or info on this vehicle will properbly influence what I do with it. Ute has insignia of Electricity trust of South Australia on door. Will try and figure out how to post photos later. Thanks all, Ken

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Ken, Holden certainly built quite a few of these for the Military during the war years and then other Government departments like postal, water, electricity etc.

Here's one that I've planned a project for in the past.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

They are not particularly rare but are certainly something that the hot rodders snap up if they're in half decent condition.

They interest me because the commonality of parts across a few years.

I thought that all the Maple Leafs were a standard cab rather than the extra cab... but don't know enough to be sure.

Andrew

While the rest of the crew may be in the same predicament, it's almost always the pilot's job to arrive at the crash site first.
Skidd #273685 03/22/13 08:11 AM
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
To my knowledge most Aus built utes upto the late 40's at least had the parcel shelf including a 37 that I have seen.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Skidd #273690 03/22/13 09:34 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Skidd Thanks for info. "Vin" plate on car says General Motors of Canada LTD Serial number is 5-1311-91651. Guessing that makes it a Maple Leaf of 1945. Photos you have posted is same body as mine. About same condition too. Hows your resto comming along? I am just about to start dismantling mine to check real condition. I know motor is seized, but that can be overcome with time.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
THIS IS ONE OF THE COOLEST BODY STYLES I HAVE SEEN IN A UTE.
YEARS AGO, I HAD A CHANCE FOR A 1940 WILLY`S UTE FOR 2,000.00
BUT IT SLIPPED AWAY. BUT THIS STYLE IS ALOT NICER!
GOOD LUCK ON THE RESTORATION!

DUKES CAR CLUB, EST:1962

VCCA#036554
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by AussieKen
Hey Skidd Thanks for info. "Vin" plate on car says General Motors of Canada LTD Serial number is 5-1311-91651. Guessing that makes it a Maple Leaf of 1945. Photos you have posted is same body as mine. About same condition too. Hows your resto comming along? I am just about to start dismantling mine to check real condition. I know motor is seized, but that can be overcome with time.

Hi Ken, I'm not sure that you can say just because your car was a Canadian Chev that it is a 'Maple Leaf'. As far as I know most of the vehicles of that era came from other Commonwealth countries because the import taxes were lower. Less taxes to import a Canadian vehicle (Commonwealth country) than to import an American vehicle. Also, Maple Leaf's were badged as such.

I didn't go ahead with the project on the ute as it was going to cost a bit too much at the time. But you never know what is in the future.

Andrew

While the rest of the crew may be in the same predicament, it's almost always the pilot's job to arrive at the crash site first.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.