Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272255 03/03/13 06:36 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday Fellas,

Quick question if I may please!

Noisy clutch

When I depress the clutch pedal only sometimes do I get a very loud squealing, rattling, metal on metal noise for a few seconds which can be rather embarrassing when I come to a stop in the street, I do not notice it while driving along at speed and it never happens when I first start the engine in my shed and let it warm up, it is always when the engine is hot and more so when I pull up at my front gate after a drive, put it in neutral and let it idle while I get out and open the gate and then it will squeal off and on at random times then when I sit in it and push the pedal right in it goes away..

We put a new clutch in it about 6 months ago and I have only driven it about 1500 miles since.

Any info to point me in the right direction would be great.

Photos of the clutch install are here in the link below.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=6829757065439609568#editor/target=post;postID=1847395272914386154

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

What vehicle? My guess is the throw-out-bearing. Needs lube.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
1928 tourer.

Cheers Grant.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Grant , did you replace the carbon bush while you were at it o the throw out arm, RAY

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check clutch adjustment and return spring. Sounds like throw out carbon is touching.

Hope this helps Neil

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
hi Grant
if your clutch throw-out bearing is anything like mine, it has a small oiling cap on the top side of it. A few drops of oil lubricate the carbon material and because its retentively porous, it soaks into the carbon and lubricates it.
You have to remove the floor plate cover to access it of course..

Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday Fellas,

Yes carbon bush was replaced with a new one at the time.

Also I removed the floor panel tonight and I cannot see any small oil cap on the top side as mentioned, so that must be on a different model maybe??

Thanks for you replies to BTW

Cheers Grant.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There is no way to oil the carbon on your throwout unless you drill a hole in the bell housing, there are details in the 1930 or 1931 service news on where and how to drill the hole.

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

with a little tweaking of the clutch pedal mounting bracket that bolts to the side of the clutch housing, this idea given to me by a very knowledgeable aussie, the outcome resulted in no noise and now a very smooth user friendly operating clutch.

Many thanks for all replies posted.

Cheers Grant.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Grant,
that is a good outcome, just the stuff that a forum is made off, help, ideas and faith... dance

Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Would you share the "little tweaking" that you did? I get the noise that you have described from my 27 Coach occasionally and am not sharp enough to figure how to stop the noise.

I used to own a 1931 Chevy Fire Truck that needed a couple of drops of oil a couple of times a year into the throwout bearing hole that was accessable via a removeable plate in the top of the bell housing. As others have said, My '27 has no easy access into the bell housing.

Bob D.
1927 Coach "Matilda"
Susanville, CA
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

After a few inquiries I was told to loosen right off the clutch pedal adjuster nut underneath, this I had been playing with a little from time to time and btw I had it at about 3/4 along the thread to date.

Next I was told to cut a small piece of wood 3/4" thick, remove the internal floor, then get down and see where the top of the clutch pedal was in relation to the top underside of the kick board, make sense?? I hope so.

Well the top of my pedal was hitting/resting on the back of the kick board, not good.. Next loosen off the support bracket that bolts to the side of the flywheel housing and push down on this which will then move the pedal away from the kick board 3/4" of an inch and this is where the small block of wood comes in handy, place it under the pedal as a measure, do up the support bracket bolt tight and then re install the flooring, carpets etc..
I then proceeded to tighten up the adjuster nut and then do a few tests in the driveway and around the block until I got the clutch perfect.

I now have one smooth, non noisy clutch.... Cheers

PS - Hope this makes sense to you all.

Cheers Grant.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks a bunch Grant. I am going to try what you wrote. I am thinking that "kick board" is what we call the "floor board"???

I just have to allow the weather to warm up a bit first so my fingers do not freeze to the bolts. LOL

Bob D.
1927 Coach "Matilda"
Susanville, CA

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.