Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've owned this 73' SS since 1982. Most people comment saying "What a shame to ruin a nice car by cutting a hole in the roof". It has had one repaint in the original Medium Red, still has it's original interior( bench seat, column shift), 350/ auto. I didn't reinstall the side stripes, I never was a big fan of them.

[Linked Image from i334.photobucket.com]

Joe & Ellen King
29 Roadster
52 Fleetline 2dr
56 Nomad
69 Camaro RS
73 Nova SS Skytop
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have only seen one other 73' & a total of 4 72' skytop Nova's and one 72' Ventura.

Here's another pic of mine. The only factory SS one I've seen.
[Linked Image from i334.photobucket.com]

Joe & Ellen King
29 Roadster
52 Fleetline 2dr
56 Nomad
69 Camaro RS
73 Nova SS Skytop
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Nice looking Nova! I've only seen one other one (it was a '72 if I recall) and it was a basket case but still complete.

Thanks for sharing. I know my Pops will be on here soon since he has a soft spot for '73 Novas. What a rare bird. chevy

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Never seen one either but would love to latch on to a Spirit of America Nova,that hasn't been molested.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks guys....

I know where an unmolested Spirit Nova is sitting in a junkyard, complete but he won't sell it or any parts from it.

Joe & Ellen King
29 Roadster
52 Fleetline 2dr
56 Nomad
69 Camaro RS
73 Nova SS Skytop
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thats funny I have a 72 SS with skyroof and every where I go I get the same response,Did you cut your roof with a sawzall? I now have a article showing that it was a factory option in that year and show them to get them to shut up.Back in high school in 82 I had a 72 Rally sport with that roof in it,never thought it would be unique and sold it.Later I looked back and missed that car so I found one in Denver and new I had to have it that was about more than 10 years ago and I still have it now and not letting it go this time.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If I recall, Buick made a skylark sun coupe with a similar roof on it.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I havent seen one on a Buick but I have also been told by a couple of people that they had a Buick with that option
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the factory brochure that I keep on the front seat at shows. I don't think some people realize that it just isn't a hole cut in the roof. There are extra braces in the roof and instead of having a regular headliner, it has a molded pressed wood board that the perforated vinyl is glued to.

Also, the 72's that I have seen have more bows and one didn't have the flip up visor.

The nylon slides on mine are starting to wear out. I now hook a strap to the latch to keep it from sliding shut when I apply the brakes. Mine is due for an overhaul soon. It has lost the the fresh look and is more of an older restoration now.

Originally Posted by Novaplum
Thats funny I have a 72 SS with skyroof and every where I go I get the same response,Did you cut your roof with a sawzall? I now have a article showing that it was a factory option in that year and show them to get them to shut up.Back in high school in 82 I had a 72 Rally sport with that roof in it,never thought it would be unique and sold it.Later I looked back and missed that car so I found one in Denver and new I had to have it that was about more than 10 years ago and I still have it now and not letting it go this time.

Joe & Ellen King
29 Roadster
52 Fleetline 2dr
56 Nomad
69 Camaro RS
73 Nova SS Skytop
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I havent seen one on a Buick but I have also been told by a couple of people that they had a Buick with that option

http://www.buick-suncoupe.com/

Here is some info on the 72 Buick Sun Coupe. I had a chocolate brown GS Sun Coupe in the early 90's but sold it after a few years to buy a lifted truck. Nice car.

Last edited by Joe29roadster; 03/16/13 08:34 PM.

Joe & Ellen King
29 Roadster
52 Fleetline 2dr
56 Nomad
69 Camaro RS
73 Nova SS Skytop
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I got lucky I was missing the flip up deflector on my car when I got it and was able to find a guy on e-bay that had a complete replacement top so I was able to pick up at a resonable price and now have a back up for mine.The only thing that gets alittle bit tricky is getting the front lock down latch to catch so when I`m cruising the top doesnt open all of a sudden.
Originally Posted by Joe29roadster
I have the factory brochure that I keep on the front seat at shows. I don't think some people realize that it just isn't a hole cut in the roof. There are extra braces in the roof and instead of having a regular headliner, it has a molded pressed wood board that the perforated vinyl is glued to.

Also, the 72's that I have seen have more bows and one didn't have the flip up visor.

The nylon slides on mine are starting to wear out. I now hook a strap to the latch to keep it from sliding shut when I apply the brakes. Mine is due for an overhaul soon. It has lost the the fresh look and is more of an older restoration now.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thats neat,looks like the same roof.I also like the attached link on what the value of the Buick with that roof option would be.When I tried to get my car insured they had no listing for my car with that roof and I was concerned that there book value wasnt going to include that and in my opion a valuable option to increase my cars value and they told me to show them a similiar car for sale like mine(thats nearly impossible)or hire a appraiser
Originally Posted by Joe29roadster

http://www.buick-suncoupe.com/

Here is some info on the 72 Buick Sun Coupe. I had a chocolate brown GS Sun Coupe in the early 90's but sold it after a few years to buy a lifted truck. Nice car.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I have one that my mother bought new in 1972 ($2995.00). It is Orange Flame with black Rally Sport Stripes and a factory sky roof. The engine is a 350-Automatic. It is all factory with one repaint with original colors.

[Linked Image from downivlife.com]

We always get the same comments at shows regarding the sky roof, so I have a copy of the original window sticker which clearly lists the sky roof feature. As she is the original owner it is hard to argue about the roof but people still try.

I have never seen another sky roof in person, I would like to for comparison. The majority I see online seem to be on the SS.

~Chevy_grrl

Last edited by Chevy_grrl; 09/26/14 10:56 AM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I remember that the dealership i worked at sold several of them.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for sharing these photos. I've seen the brochures, but never seen one of the cars in person.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hey all, thanks for sharing. The sky roof came out in late '72 and was discontinued half way through '73.
1972 Sky Roof
Skyroof Nova White (RPO WV1) 1,050
Skyroof Nova Black (RPO WV2) 3,075
Skyroof Nova Blue (RPO WV4) 164
Skyroof Nova Pewter (RPO WV5) 202
Skyroof Nova Covert (RPO WV7) 1,424
Skyroof Nova Tan (RPO WV9) 353
Skyroof Nova Green (RPO YH8) 554
Skyroof Nova '72 (Total) 6,822

Skyroof Novas (RPO CF1) 3,259 '73 Offered in coupe and hatchback coupe.
I have seen a hatchback coupe for sale but never in person. These are rare birds! wow

One of the best Nova Websites is: http://www.novaresource.org/
Incredible data.

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I was with Chevy, at the time of the Skyroof era, but am wondering if ASC (American Sunroof) did the conversion to these vehicles for Chevrolet.

The Camaro converts in the 80's were a product of ASC, wondering if they did the few Nova's, as well.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hello everyone,

Chat has a new member who posted in the "New to Chat" Forum.
His Chat name is "Timmy".
He has a '73 Nova Skyroof and was looking for some information about it. I tried to help him a little bit, then remembered this thread. I know you fellas will be interested in seeing his Skyroof so I am posting a few pictures of it here for him.
So welcome Timmy and help him out if you can. I'll have him post here from now on.

[Linked Image from i100.photobucket.com]

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
That is one great looking car. I have never seen one in the flesh.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thanx to ken, for helping me get my pictures posted!! My car is a 1973 nova custom hatchback ss .it was ordered at valley motor sales in bethel ,Vermont . (Family owned) I happened to drive through bethel last year and their stil in business and owned by the same family. " pretty cool" this car was ordered with 26 factory options. Total cost of options was $1454.58 total cost of car was $4354.44. The car has been in Vermont its whole life, wow !! It's definitely a true Survivor . I am starting to research to see how rare this car maybe, I know now only 3259 73 novas were built with a skyroof, now need to factor in that it is a custom hatchback ss with a skyroof with a lot of factory options. Any help or leads would be appreciated. Thanx tim

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Timmy, what a rare and awesome Nova. It has all the bells and whistles on it. I don't believe there is a single figure for the total production of your car but you can use the data from http://www.novaresource.org/

It will tell you how many hatchbacks, 4-speeds. If you take the total number of Novas produced you can get a percentage of each of your options and come up with a round figure that will be fairly close. For instance, there were 369,509 Novas produced in 1973. 16,238 had L-48 4 barrel carb 350 V8. 7,774 had tilt steering, 10,002 had guage package. You can use your math to predict the probability of all the options put together and come close. http://www.novaresource.org/rpo2.htm

I come out to about 1500-1800. See what you get.
Nice car!

1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OK, now you got me going. I went back and calculated the following percentages for 1973 production:
Total Novas= 369509
Total SS = 35,542 = 9%
Total 4 speed= 3199 = 2%
Total Hatchback = 8530 = 24%
Total Tilt wheel = 7774 = 2%
Total Sky Roof = 3,259 = .08%

You are looking at about 800 max

1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hey Steve, ken was right!! Thanx for the great leads, novaresource website a lot of great info. Definitely fills in a lot of the blanks, learned a lot about the car. AWESOME!! So what I am beginning to understand is what you were saying, info on my car is somewhat limited. I may never know exactly what I want to know,but you have helped me learn a lot more than I did know!! Steve can you tell me how to get the percentage. I have tried a few ways, but not doing something right. There is another rare option F41(sport suspension) found interesting info on this option. Only 4770 made. Steve does this change the estimated figure that you came up with? Steve thanx again for all the help, this has been exciting for me!! PS: soon we will have to have a Conversation about 1986 rs cavalier conv. Recently had one. Thanx tim

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hello, thanx for the compliment. I to had never seen one before I had bought my car. The 1st thing I had noticed when I walked up to the car was the skyroof. The 1st thing I asked the owner was , the car didn't come like that did it? He got a little defensive about the skyroof. He told me it came from factory like that . I asked if he had any way to prove this, he said he didn't need to prove it ,he just knew. I said to him you don't need to get upset, I have never seen or heard of one. So i told him i loved his car, but I am going to wait. A few weeks later he calls and said he had proof. THE BUILT SHEET from above the gas tank. End of story, I bought the car.,and I really do enjoy driving it! PS: I lived in Dallas,Texas for 1 year 1975, lived in Vermont all my life. My aunt and uncle are retired school teachers from Dallas. I loved Dallas Texas, I have been a Dallas cowboy fan ever since!! Thanx tim

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Tim, take the total number of Novas produced = 369502
then the total production of the different RPO Codes ex: Super Sport = 35542. That is 9% so right off the bat you are down to 35542. No do the same for some of your accessories:
4speed = 3,199 that's 2% so you. I am guessing here but I bet the majority of 4-speeds were on SS models and not 4 door sedans! So you might estimbate 20% of SS models? Maybe?
Sky Roof only on coupes and hatchbacks and that came out to 3500 or .8% of total production. .8% .008 times 35,542 SS models is approximately 284. My estimate was too high before. I bet you are looking at 300-500 possibly?
Just quick figuring. Give it a try. Let me know if you ever put it up for sale!! dance

1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.