Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#270641 02/14/13 11:44 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So if I get this old car on the road and get it on a tour. Do I have to place turn signals on it. It didn't come with them.
Steven's 30

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I don't know about your state, but in Iowa, old cars only have to have what they had new to be legal. They are "grandfathered" in. If they only had one tail light that is all they have to have. That being said I have turnsignals on 2 of my 3 cars and would like to put them on the 33 for safetys sake. I put a right side tail light on it because of that.

Ed
Ed_Osier #270655 02/15/13 01:35 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I thought I didn't need signal lights on my '26 Touring since I reasoned that with no windows it was easy and cool to use hand signals. However I soon discovered that other drivers didn't understand hand signals and just assumed that I was waving at them so they waved back, Even pedestrians on the sidewak waved and my passengers would almost kill themselves laughing when they noticed that. I installed signal lights last year and I haven't regretted it one minute. The rear lights also serve as additional tail and brake lights. I find that the four-way flashers are really helpful as well when driving on the highway. It warns drivers that I am going really slow and that they should not run over me. I'd really hate to see tire tracks on my roof or on my back!!!!! It would really spoil my day!!!!!

Arend #270696 02/15/13 02:15 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
i installed the high mount turn signals in the back window of my 32, and they are BRIGHT. nobody is looking at the ones on the fenders anyway. filling station supplied.

they don't make em like they usedta
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I agree with ba confed. The brighter the better . Im not sure how many times ive been almost rearended.Its Ither that or they just want to get a better look at the car. Nighttime is even worse.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
In future, a more specific post title would help us looking for specific topics only, such as "Signal lights for a 1930". You are also more likely to get better feedback.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Yes we must all assimilate."wada ye at"

Ed_Osier #270740 02/15/13 09:43 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed
I don't know about your state, but in Iowa, old cars only have to have what they had new to be legal. They are "grandfathered" in. If they only had one tail light that is all they have to have. That being said I have turnsignals on 2 of my 3 cars and would like to put them on the 33 for safetys sake. I put a right side tail light on it because of that.

While your at it swap out the low powered bulbs and get some RON FRANCIS BRIGHT BULBS. Head lights and tail lights and maybe cowl lights too. Maybe filling station sells them ?/

Harley davidson motorcycles on their cruiser bagger styles ?? used to run all those chromed red lights that look like small cowl lights and mount the same way. Easy to put them in the back on a luggage rack or brackets off the bumpers to add as both turn signals and extra stop lights.

Those LED bulbs are really bright come to think of it and would really help to LIGHT UP the back of your car. Saftey first.

mike parking

Arend #270746 02/15/13 10:09 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Arend
However I soon discovered that other drivers didn't understand hand signals and just assumed that I was waving at them so they waved back, Even pedestrians on the sidewalk waved and my passengers would almost kill themselves laughing when they noticed that.
I still "wave" to other drivers...Don't know how much good it does...But, I guess there's always a chance someone will understand my motives...Beats doing nothing...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello baconfederate,
Would you describe the "high mount turn signals" assembly that you installed in the back window of your 32? I am interested in such a system as my 31 Coach has only the one left rear taillight. I'd also like to know if you had installed turn signals in front for signaling the oncoming traffic and what you used and where they are installed. Would you include the Filling Station part numbers or other data so as to see pictures and specs of the lights, mounts, and controller assembly. Thank You

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
led 27 in 6 volt and led 28 in 12, ain't cheap but neither is getting rearended with that gas tank sitting right there. they mount either with suction cups which allow removal for judging or with double stick pucks for more permanent. i like them cause i am seen from about 50 yards away. fs has the controller too.

i also put a right side tail/brake light on, and was lucky enough to get some 32 standard headlights. these don't have the parklights up on the cowl like a deluxe, but have an extra bulb off center for the parklight in the headlight. it now has a bright yellow turn light that shows up even with the headlights on. hobby lobby has a glass paint for that

Last edited by baconfederate; 02/16/13 02:22 PM.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Steves-30-Chevy,
It appears that safe is better than sorry with relation to your topic. The Filling Station's description of their "taillight led conversion kit" part# LED-31-6 (more info) states it pretty well. As I too debate with myself as to upgrading my 6-volt single taillight 31 Coach, it's becoming more clear to do it. The Filling Station seems to supply most everything needed to make that happen for my model year without the need to attach lighting where there never was originally. I'm not condemning extra lighting. I just wish to stay with the original configurations to evaluate before adding other nonstandard lighting locations. I do not know if your 30 Chevy is 6 or 12 volt, single or dual taillight arms, and dual cowl lights or not. I'm thinking of the LED's for these, but first I'll need the right side taillight arm and the cowl light kit, then a turn signal kit and the extras associated with these items. If you go to the Filling Station catalog you may check out these items among many others: AF-54R, AF-572, GR-303. I could list more, but finding them is half the fun. If need be, give them a call for advise. Good Luck

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I do want to stay original as much as safety will allow. I did add a passenger side tail light for safety. The car did not come with cowl lights and I would hate to cut hols in the cowl.
Steven

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
does your 30 have the extra light bulb in the headlamp for park light or just the high low beam bulb?

Jmm Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a dayglo orange triangle on the tailgate. You know the kind on a tractor or roadside mower. Slowwww moving vehicle!!!!!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
yes it has the extra light bulb in the headlamp for park light. Why?
Steven

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
you can wire that bulb to the turn signal controller and paint it with orange paint from the hobby store and you get a bright and HUGE turn signal out front. it even shows up well with the headlights on , the orange colors the whole headlight output. i think the one i used is glass paint, pumpkin color.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I got the Filling Station LED kit for my one taillight on the 30. It makes a huge diffefence. Very bright. Worth every penny.

A great start, but I'm also going to add an easy on/off high tailight bar.

I can testify that young drivers do not understand hand signals. Had a kid pass me on the right, when I signaled right, by hand. Bright, sunny day, on a slow street. He saw it, thought I was waving. 5 years later, still finding parts and time to repair my '46 I Ton panel. Bummer....

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Old Iron (cars, trucks, tractors, fire truck)
Too much, never enough........

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.