Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#265756 12/27/12 08:25 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I disassembled the speedometer to clean the numbers and to lubricate the gears. Everything went well except for one small part that is about 5/8" long by 1/4" wide with a hole at one end and is very thin. It was on the right side of the speedometer when looking into the speedometer. This part I don't know where it goes and I am hoping that someone here does know. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
If it isn't broken, fiddle with it anyway so you have something to repair.
1931 Deluxe Sport Roadster
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Can you be more specifc as to the description of the part or can you post a photo of the part in question?

Are you talking about the brass clip that holds the speedometer wheel shafts in place?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The brass clip is all that comes to my mind.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
No it's not the brass clip that holds the speedometer wheel shaft. Here is a picture of the mysterious part that appeared in the bottom of the speedometer that I had not seen before I started the disassembly.

[Linked Image from i1054.photobucket.com]

Last edited by 1931Roadster; 12/28/12 09:56 AM.

Paul
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Oh that thing! Looking at the speedometer from the front, that brass goodie is a spacer shim that goes on the odometer wheel shaft between the odometer wheel on the left and the speedometer housing. The shim must be installed or the odometer wheels will have play from side to side. Usually, there are one or more shims used.

The shim is installed with a skinny pair of tweezers (that's why the shim is long and tapered) and you can install the shim (or shims) by removing the brass clip that holds the odometer wheel shaft in place, then carefully pushing the shaft to the right so that it is flush with the first odometer wheel. Then you can carefully insert the shim with the tweezers and then push the odometer wheel shaft back to the left, through the hole in the housing, and then install the brass clip.

Also, keep in mind that the speedometer should be recalibrated after it is disassembled and reassembled so that it's speed accuracy can be maintained. To do that you will need a special speedometer machine with an electronic magnet.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
The speedometer cable should be lubed and so should the speedometer head itself. The worm gear and the driven gears inside of the speedometer should be lubricated with a special speedometer lube. Also the shaft inside of the speedometer has a small brass cup that can be removed and inside of the housing under the cup is a felt wick. A few drops of oil should be placed on the felt wick also.

laugh wink beer2

Thank you very much for the information. I was able to get the shims back in, not too difficult. Now, from one of your previous posts. What kind of special lube and where do you get it? I see a small brass cup (about 1/4") at the very back of the speedometer head below the speed dial. Question is how do you remove it? It's in a hole and appears to have been pressed in with nothing to grasp to remove it.

Last edited by 1931Roadster; 12/28/12 04:09 PM.

Paul
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The small brass cup is made to be removed. It is pressed into place but it can be removed using the tip of a small standard screwdriver that is of the correct width. Insert the tip of the screwdriver in the cup and move the screwdriver tip back and forth and the brass cap will come out.

Where do you get the special speedometer grease? I don't know. I have a new old stock jar of the special jelly-like speedometer grease that I found at a swap meet years ago. You might try a local speedometer shop to see if they have the grease.

When you are done don't forget to calibrate your speedometer for the correct miles per hour.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.