Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#260604 11/10/12 10:24 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Everybody,

This is Don's son Greg. I know that my dad was a regular poster on this forum, and I see that he mentioned his cancer diagnosis in a post a couple of months ago. I'm sorry to report that my dad passed away on Tuesday. We were hopeful that the new treatment his doctors prescribed would give him more time (and more time to work on his cars), but the cancer was simply too advanced to control.

As much as I would love to finish my dad's 490 project and hold onto the car, I must sell it as we don't have the room for all three of his classic cars and I need the funds to finish his '66 Corvair project (which I am keeping). Simply put, I don't know the first thing about this car's value. I know what he paid for it, and he put a ton of work and $$$ into it, but I don't know what to ask for it. No 490s on Ebay at the moment to compare.

I would very much appreciate any help in nailing down a fair asking price, and perhaps some of you are even familiar with my dad's car in particular. Please reply or message if you're able to assist in any way. I can provide photos and more info (he has binders full of documentation).

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Greg, My sincere condolences to you and all of Don's family , he will be missed here by all who had come to know and chat with him from time to time.
Thank you for keeping us informed.

JACK
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greg, I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. All of our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. - The Ol' Coach

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greg,

I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing. I always enjoyed reading his posts. Even though many of us here on the forum have never met him (including myself) he was very well liked by all. He was instrumental in helping me with my 490 for which I will be forever grateful! I will always remember your dad whenever I see the battery box on my 490. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Gary

I am finding out for myself how painful this road can be as this week my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She has gone through a very painful surgery, but she has a heart of gold.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I am also of course very saddened to hear about Don's passing. I know he was looking for a 1920 dated engine block, and I recently gave him a lead on one, but never head back - I was afraid his health might have taken a turn for the worse.

He could always be counted on for intelligent, thoughtful postings here. He also served as a national Board member for CORSA - the Corvair Society of America - and was well respected in their community.

Very sorry to hear this. RIP.

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I am so sad you have lost your father, Greg. It is specially hurting when you share the same interest as he had. The memories are many.

It will be difficult to sell at a price when you get most of the money back, I think. But it should be possible for the US-members here to help you with some idea of a usable, acceptable price for the four-ninety you are going to sell.

I recommend you to put an ad in the forum here and in G&D as well, when you have decided what to to.

chevy

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi guys,

Thank you all so very much for your kind words. My dad will be missed by many, many people inside the car universe and out.

I am listing the car on ebay (should be up shortly) as well as in the classifieds here to start.

Here is a link to photos of my dad's car: http://photobucket.com/chevy490

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all of your condolences. I ended up selling my dad's 490 (eBay) to a gentleman in Kentucky who also owns 1917, '18, and '19 models. Selling price was $11000 FYI (less than I would have liked, but it isn't running).

He has a guy lined up to come get the car, but I have one more question for you all: What is the recommended tire pressure? My dad installed brand new tires and reconditioned the spokes and bands if that matters at all. Pressure is currently low but I obviously don't want to over-inflate.

Thank you again for your help.

Greg

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Snyder's Model Tee ford sellers which sells the 30 x3 1/2 tires are saying to run the tires at no less than 50-55 psi.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modeltparts/tirestubesmisc

JACK
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
My Firestone tires 3 1/2 x 30" are stamped with 55 psi, but I am always driving at 60 psi, to be sure of enough pressure to keep the tires on the rims.

I hope you still can find room for an enthusiast car now or later. It gives both some grief but mostly a lot of joy and pleasure to the whole family.

All the best from Norway
chevy norway

Solan G, # 32797

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you guys very much! After I took the car off of the jack stands I inflated the tires to around 45 psi. They are Wards Riverside and have no apparent stamp on them, and I didn't realize they were that high pressure. Anyway, they're now at 60 psi all around for the car's journey east.

Solan - Again I would have loved to keep this car around but my priority is the '66 Corvair. My dad didn't really get into this vintage until he reached his late 50's, and I would certainly like to have one myself someday. I never got to drive the 490, but I remember riding around Detroit in my dad's Model T for the Centennial celebration and it was a blast (cars from this era turn more heads than muscle cars do!).

Thank you all again.

Greg

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The tire pressure will normally go down from 60 to 54 psi within less of a month on Solan. I use to check the psi before driving, even shorter distances, specially because the rims are non-demountable on Solan. So any flat tire will have to be mended at the roadside.

The car you will keep is the same thinking as I did. We bought Petrine, a Chev. 1931 pick up in 1986, ready for the road in 1994, and decided we had to sell one of the two last year, because my boys did not want to join the hobby, driving one. Solan was my choice, even if he is more demanding and fragile.

I wish you all happiness with the Corvair, and long joyful rides to many VCCA meetings in the future.

Agrin winner

Solan G, # 32797

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.