Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can any one tell me what would be the correct outside sunvisor for a 1939 Chevy Master 85. I need one very much. If some one has a photo, please let me see it, Darrell dwlambertson@charter.net

I'm a shadetree fixit man- I fixit were ever I am-a little bailing wire & a good pair pliers & I'm on the road again-Caus I'm a shade tree fixit man
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is no correct out side visor for a 1939 Chevrolet.The first visor that Chevrolet offered was in 1947-48.There were after market visors available in 1946 - prior to that an out side visor had never been seen.After WW 11 there were after markets that were made to fit a 1939 and most any other car.

Gene Schneider
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
It is pretty dissapointing that they didn't make a visor for the Chevy's of the 30s. It is also sad that Fulton must have fludded the market. It seems like most cars of this area use Fulton's

I'm a shadetree fixit man- I fixit were ever I am-a little bailing wire & a good pair pliers & I'm on the road again-Caus I'm a shade tree fixit man
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Fulton visors were mostly installed by new car dealers.Many dealers prefered them to even the "Genuine" factory visor.They fit well-even though they were just a universal visor.The Fulton company was right here is West Allis,Wis.They made various auto accessories over the years-the visor was by far the most popular,

There were aftermarket visors made to fit the '39.Must be adustable enough to fit the narrow body of the older car.Most would telescope together for adjustment.

From another '39 owner.........

Gene Schneider
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can any body advise me of a web site to find the various Sunvisors for the 39 Chevys? I mostly see the fulton & I think a Peckat visor. I would like something more original & diffeerent then all of the rest? I even have one in my shop that is a steel rod frame with a leather cover. That one is strange. I have never seen one like that one & don't know who made it or what car it is for?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Them original Peckat visors were the fabric covered steel rod type.This was one of the first visors made in 1946.Later visors were made from aluminum or steel.

Gene Schneider
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That sounds pretty cool. I will need to look closer & see how out of place it would look on a Oldschool 39 lowrider. Sounds like fun. I have been looking for a pecket visor & had one all of the time? LOL.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
In 1947 my father made a visor for his 1942.He copied a Peckat except he made the visor itself from water proof plywood.When it was painted it looked like the real thing.He worked in a small factory and made the side brackets and adjustment rods-looked just like the original.He was too cheap to spend the $20.. for a new one.
On disadvantage of the Peckat is that it wasn't adjustable for width.

Gene Schneider
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
CHEV NUT: What can you teach me about the different models peckat made? I have not seen one close up yet, but the ones I see in photos on Chevys all look the same. I don't even get to see many in photos. I see some that are painted with chrome ends & I have seen a couple on ebay for sale that was all polashed stainless. Those ones have a texture finish on the flat stainless in the middle.

39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If this leather visor is one of Peckat's first ever models of visors, I will keep it, re-leather it & put it on one of my cars... Thanks

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes-their first visors were fabric covered.Wasn't leather-kind of a plastic coated cloth.It was painted to match the car.

Gene Schneider
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
YEP that's what mine is covered with.

39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes it is on my 1939 COE now. I love it & will never get red of it. I love it & want to see an old photo of it on a car or truck from years ago. Any info on it would really please me.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.