Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi all -

Kind of a dopey question, but I've never quite figured it out for all the years I've had my '32: where and how does the oil bath work in the air cleaner? Do I soak oil into the top pad? If so...how does that capture dust when the air goes into the screen below it (?)

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The oil bath air cleaner works by changing the direction of the air flow. The air enters in the usual way and passes straight down. The oil stops the air flow and the dirt particles are caught in the oil Once the air strikes the oil it must pass upward and then back down into the throat of the carburetor. When it passes upward it also goes though a mesh (on some models) and the mesh gets oil splashed up on it to further filter the air. The dirt in the mesh also gets washed down into the filtering oil.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ed, The standard aircleaner on a 1932 model is not an oil bath cleaner. The felt pad under the lid (if you Have one)is not oiled. The copper mesh screen can be rinsed in a shallow baking dish or similar container , just washing the mesh with the air cleaner upside down. Then after drying from the gasoline, you can dip the inverted air cleaner into some oil to wet the mesh only or brush some through. Then let it drain inverted until the oil stops dripping . Then you can install it back on your car.

The dust and dirt particles in the air stick to the oil covered mesh as it passes through.

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 11/11/12 10:13 PM.

JACK
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I believe the oil bath air cleaner and the 32 air cleaner are different. The 32 "correct" air cleaner has a copper mesh that is coated with oil that traps/cleans the incoming air and does not contain an oil reservoir. Instructions for maintaing the 32 air cleaner advise to remove the top cover and pad and to wash out (in gasoline) the copper mesh and dip in oil to recoat. On my 32 I have replaced the original copper mesh with copper scrub pads which I can remove and wash out. When re-oiling I let the pads sit to drain any excess oil and lightly pat them down with a paper towel and reinstall in the cleaner. Removing and reinstalling the wire screen that holds the copper in place is a little tricky. The pad on the top cover does not get oiled, not sure of its actual purpose but I believe it is for sound deadening.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I believe an oil bath was not available til 1933 or 1934. Not says a later onewould not work on a 1932 as long as there is hood clearance.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Oh, okay - these all make sense. Doesn't seem much use to oil up the mesh inside, though - it's so wide open it's hard to see how it'll trap anything significant.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The air cleaner in a 32 is probably not the most efficient, but when I clean mine there is always lots of stuff caught in the mesh. After cleaning the copper is shiny and after a few hundred miles you will notice that it will be black.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I went to a lawn mower repair shop and bought a foam filter cover that fit around my original air cleaner.I cut it to cover just the opening around the filter.It works great and traps more stuff.For shows you just take it off.

kerry j camp
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
It is possible to 're-engineer' (cut to size) a K&H type corrugated filter and place inside the copper mesh. It is not visible from outside. From one standard filter element you can cut several replacements.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks, guys. The foam ring around the outside makes a world of sense. I don't drive through any dirt roads so it's hardly a big issue...but, I can kinda see why my dad (the previous owner from...53 years ago driving ) eventually had engine problems running around the back roads here in upstate NY with all the dust and grit that can easily get by that wire mesh.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.