Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253780 09/03/12 12:39 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
A local small used car lot here in town has a Caprice wagon for sale.Fairly loaded,decent condition,runs smooth etc. He's asking $1700.00 for it.Has a good interior but drivers armrest is broken and one or two small stains.Claims it had woodgrain sides but I see no evidence of it.Trouble is I know nothing about these cars.Can someone please educate me as to what I should look for,parts avaiability etc.Thanks. Ed Bittman #47508 Dade City,Fl

World's Greatest

Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
"The World's Best Chevrolet Club"
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
From mid 1986 and up through 1989 the full sized wagons used an Oldsmobile 307 engine. They were great for high oil consumption due to the block being soft and the cylinders wearing out. They are heck to work on under the hood due to the tons of vacuum lines. Was the last GM engine to use a carburetor and 1989 was the last year the engine was made. They were kind of a dog as far as power is concerned.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Corvaired, Gene has some good points to consider if you are in the market for a late 80s Caprice. It really depends on what your intentions are with the use of the car. It will qualify for VCCA class judging or certification in 2014. The asking price is within NADA and KBB.com guidelines depending on condition. Driver or touring car is another option or whatever you might like. GM offered a Caprice Wagon or the woodgrained Caprice Estate wagon in 1989. Both were 8 passenger. I am not sure what the woodgrain issue is with the car you are looking at but if it was an "Estate" wagon it had woodgrain. Some owners paint the cars but don't bother replacing the woodgraining for various reasons. Good luck chevy

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,thanks for the reply.I decided to pass on the car,just have a bad feeling about the lot selling it,the guy not knowing the history,and some bad areas on the car.Ed in Florida

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I would like to see what GM would sell all that replacement woodgrain for, bet its totally scary !!!!!!!!!!

I have 2003 chev S10 extreme , black with the gold stripe package.....: gold stripes on hood, roof , tail gate , badging and wheel trim. When talking to a body shop about repainting the truck he quoted me prices on the GM gold decals that just about had me calling for an ambulance.

I'd like to hear what that woodgrain is worth if available.....?

A friend recently bought a like new 1989 buick estate wagon 9 pass loaded . It has no power, gets horrendous gas mileage, rides like a cadillac, handles like a river barge. Looks great and something you would take a long trip in , if you can afford the gasoline.

mike
mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.