Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253475 08/30/12 08:56 PM
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
I posted this at the end of another post and I think the question got lost in the rhetoric!

Q: In my readings I have noticed that Americans talk about "GREASE" when gearboxes are the topic? Did Chevrolet actually use very thick oil and refer to it as grease? that is the question. Or do they mean Oil?

any information on this slippery subject would be enlightening!

Peter

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I worked in a gas station in 1959 and as I remember it was called grease but was a heavy oil. It was sold by the pound and had a very strong smell.

DFC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Peter,
My gas station days were the mid-60s and we used "gear lube" or thick oil containing various additives in manual trannys or differentials. The barrels we pumped from were marked 90W. "Grease" had no viscosity number and was a thick gel pumped into grease zerks in suspension parts. We serviced everything from cars of the 30s on up and trucks of all sizes. The only exception was " special?" front wheel bearing grease (water resistant,high pressure additives). Go to any chain oil change stores in the USA today and nothing has changed except they claim the products dispensed are "new and improved". Some of the Chat tech advisors may shake their heads about this but I still use chain store gear lube and grease in my old Chevys back to 1926. The 600W heavy oil Chevy required might be better in gear cases from a reduced leakage and noise aspect. Let the debate continue.
Dan

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
IF IT WILL FLOW AT ROOM TEMPERATURE THEN IT'S OIL, IF IT WON'T IT'S GREASE, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

EASTERN ED KNOWS ABOUT GREASE, I THINK HE MAY HAVE USED IT FOR GROOMING EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT. ASK HIM. Agrin

CHARLIE computer

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Hi there DFC,
thank you for your interesting reply to my questions.
Firstly what is chain oil change store? I have no idea what you mean?

secondly, is 600W a real number for oil ? it must almost be like grease or very thick and none pourable? I remember buying many years ago for my series one land-rover, very thick "oil" from "Penrite" to quieten the noisy gearbox. It took about a day to decant from the can into the the gearbox, it was like treacle.
It stayed in there for 20 years and protected it from everything, termites, crashing gear changes by 12 year olds learning to drive, and serious frost damage.

my chevy gearbox needs that little something "Extra" to quieten and tame the beast.

I will have a look at "Penrites" site and see what is still on offer..........http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/vintage,-veteran-&-classic

Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
secondly, is 600W a real number for oil ?

Yes! Don't let the 600W rating fool you because 600W is the same as the modern 160W.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
In the USA there are plenty of oil change "stores" like Jiffy Lube that change oil. Some grease chassis, vacuum floors, check wipers and other fluid levels. Basically the same as the service stations of the past.

600W is the old designation for SAE 160. It is as fluid as molasses in January (northern part of northern hemisphere) July (southern, southern hemisphere). Next thing to grease but flows. Mixing grease with a lighter weight oil can give a pseudo (or replacement) 600W product. Works better than saw dust too.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
DFC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sorry for not better describing our chainstore oil change outlets, Peter. Junkyard Dog and Chipper have clarified the "heavy oil" situation. I admit to using a mix of 90W gear lube and super thick STP oil additive to quiet the big,old 4 speed in my '46 GMC. It made the whine bearable!
Dan

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Dan,
when I used to drive my 52 landie on club outings, I used to wear my bike helmet and a set of earphones so that I could drive in relative peace....................I was always the subject of amusement when we arrived at the destination, I enjoyed the attention....sort of.. carbana

Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.