Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Phill Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Has anyone worked on the horn ring on the butterfly steering wheel?? My '51 chevy has nothing under the ring to make the horn blow and I need a diagram showing what is suppose to be there. The shop manual only shows the factory horn ring set up. Thank You, Phill

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
So no one has bit into this one? I have a 51 but the horn ring is round if you will. I have pictures somewhere of how they look when they are apart if that would help you. Mine has a round flate disk that is concave or convex depending how you look at it. Then there is a brass plunger that slides into a sleeve and mounts under that disc. When you press the horn ring in flattens that disk which makes contact with that brass plunger affair and the horns should sound. Is yours like that or are you missing those parts?
The chev club sells a replacement kit if you need them, and I could email installation pictures.

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
Phill Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
There is no parts under my horn ring left. I was told that the horn would blow when ever it wanted to, so the prevous owner gutted the parts that was supposed to be there. I ordered a kit that is suppose to be for 1950 to 1954?? I have not received it yet. I also have pictures of a 1952 horn ring assy. I want to thank you for your reply. Phill

123 Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Maybe you can help me. I have the brass spring that goes in the steering wheel
the concave spring the small plastic grommets the plastic part with the 3 screws and the horn ring. I am not sure if the screws are the right ones.When put together if I tighten the screws down there is no movement on the horn ring.
when I try to adjust the screws and get to a point where the horn blows but then when i turn the wheel a couple of times the horn blows on its own grounding out.
Could you forward me apicture of the parts and how they go in and the length of the screws. The screws that are in there are round head about 1 inch long
Any help would be appreciated Grease Monkey 123 Thanks

Phill Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I found on my butterfly horn ring after Many hours of trying this and that. The concave spring kept grounding out on the steering wheel center part so I made short bushings to fit in the 3 big holes in the concave spring so the screws that are for adjustment hold everything together. I replaced the 3 screws with 3 threaded studs so I was able to see all the parts and nuts on top of the studs for adjustment. I hope this helps. Phill

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.