Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#250443 07/29/12 03:40 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
While doing my rewire. I pulled the cover on the Signal Stat 900 7 wire turn signal, it was full of shavings. It had been mounted against the steering wheel and the cover was worn down at leat a 16th of an inch.
Tried to hook up the turn signals and weren’t working. Went to parts store and had them order me another one. They called and said they had found one in their stock. It had 6 wires and connectors on the end and a Fomoco p/n on it. Signal Stat said to go with a 7 wire. They again called and said they got the one in they ordered. It was also a 6 wire with a different connector on it. They then said they couldn’t find a 7 wire and for me to find one on my own. This all took about 2 weeks. I called The Filling Station on Friday and ordered the one in their catalog. The brand is United Pacific. The sent it USPS and it was here on Monday. I installed and it is flashing to fast. Called Filling Station and they think it is a ground issue. Had company for the last few days and haven’t had a chance to check it out. Will get to it this week I hope.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Keith Knox
Dale and Kevin
Which signals do you have? I ran new wires for all 4 corners, then realized I could have cut the harness wires to the rear and spliced them.
I assume yours us the hose clamp style bracket to the steering column. That is the ground point for the switch. So you need bare metal for that, think I will also run a ground wire and attach it some how. Watch when you tighten the clamp as mine straightened out and had to rebend and attach, so couldn't tighten as much as I wanted. See my turn signal post.

If what I recall reading in another thread was correct, you really didn't need to run any extra wires to the rear of the car.
For a couple dollars more, YnZ would have also pre-installed the extra wires and made pigtails for the combination front signals/parking lights.
But whether the factory, dealer or a previous owner would have riveted two more terminal boards out front, I don't know.
For under the dash I'm using a Ron Francis 8 way to handle everything coming into the turn signal switch.

The steering column is the ground for the indicator lights (LF, RT and 4-way) in the switch.

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I didn't think to call about the turn signal wires when I ordered my harness. Mama was a bit shocked about the price anyway.
I was having trouble with the new switch, as it was flashing really fast, so I called the Filling Station and he thought it was a ground problem. I now have run ground wires from the front parking lights and the switch to the battery ground. It still flashed fast. I then change to a different flasher and it slowed down a little. Still seems to fast to me, but at least they work. The indicator lights are really dim, but he said he thought they were 12 volt LED. Will live with it.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.