Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Here's another one that's been replaced... it appears to have some shrink-wrap on the condensor wire.

[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

http://1931chevrolet.com/images/tags/engine%20numbers1.jpg

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got it. Thanks Bill.

Bob

"When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground".
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper,

I finally got back to my car with a charged battery.

It did not start but it did crank rather nicely.

I set the ignition on. I held the coil cable to the block. I moved the points and got a fairly decent arc.

So I guess it must be the points correct?

Bob

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you get a better spark by shorting across the points than open and closing them, they need cleaning or replacement. If the same then they are okay.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
With the Distributor cap off and the key on engage the starter. You should be able to see the arching. On occasion, a weak condensor will fail because the starter is hogging too much current. Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
#1. Why don't you add a cut off manual disconect switch on earth cable on your battery. In this way you isolate the battery and keep it charged while in garage. Next day or next week, you switch on, start with reasonable fresh battery and you are on. This doesn't solve your current leak, but at least helps a little to keep going.
#2. I also experienced a sudden dead engine. I have changed coil, distr. cap, rotor and cables. Didn't change the points nor condenser. I suspect the coil. It was old piece with a kind of moss in the HV terminal, probably making bad contact. I don't know yet if I have solved the problem. They all were old stuff. The engine starts beautifully. I hope it doesn't stop.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper.

I sanded the points a little with emory cloth. Still no luck.

I will mess with the ole gal this weekend.

Bob

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Alfredo,

Thanks, I totally agree. That was my plan, to get a disconnect next.

Bob

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
67vetteal,
Thanks for the guidance. I did install a new condenser but you never know. I will keep trying.

Bob

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
To all,

Thanks for all your help.

This is coming from a guy that took "Automotive Mechanics" for two years at my local VoTech. That was 34 years ago. I worked as a "Mechanic's Assistant" AKA (trouble shooter/parts changer) for a couple of years before going to college. Since then I have sat behind a desk. I thought I remembered how to work on older cars. I have found out I am out of touch. I have some re-learning and practice to do. Please bear with me.

Bob

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Nice call Chipper. All or part of my problem was the points.

Although I sanded the point set two days ago, a friend of mine from work came out to the house today. He, from day one was saying clean the points. I did but still had no luck. He scraped them with my barlow knife and sure enough she started up. I guess I was being gentle and did not get enough of the "film" off. I post this to end this thread and to help others in the future. Thanks for everyone's input.

The ole gal was blowing a little white smoke tonight. But that is a different chapter. It was nice hearing her run.

By the way, I wish I would have named this thread something else.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Well that's good news. We're glad to hear that you found the problem. yipp

As for renaming the thread -- bigl -- I wondered about that early on. But you wouldn't have liked some of the OTHER titles that I was thinking of. Ha ha....

Please don't hesitate to start a new thread with your NEXT PROBLEM!!! We are all looking forward to giving you our Free Advice!!! This was one of the better threads this past week. Hummm... maybe I should create a new series of awards again.... wazzup

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Glad you got it running. Looks like you forgot to test the points by shorting across them with a screwdriver after you sanded them.

Comparing the intensity of the spark by opening and closing the points and shorting across the open points gives a quick indication of the condition of the point contacts. Best way to do it is set the points so they are closed. The manually open and close them. Put a small piece of paper, plastic or other insulator between the contacts and short across the two point arms. It is easy, quick and nearly fool proof. Can be done on the side of the road and use nearly any piece of metal, even a thin dime.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.