Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#242395 05/09/12 07:46 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Guys,
I have worked out how to post pictures and there is some information on the internal modifications I made to my 235 powerglide and a short history of my car. I have increased capacity to 252 cubic inches and estimated horsepower at 135 - 140.
A bit of reading if you are interested.
Happy cruising,
Ian

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m518/greenock/1952ChevroletBelAir22.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m518/greenock/1952ChevroletBelAir33.jpg

I purchased this 1952 Bel Air Hardtop and a 1958 Chevrolet Impala Convertible from California in 1991. I brought the car off two Mexican brothers who weren’t too kind to it.
All our New Zealand new cars were Deluxe four door sedans with brown interiors and local leather on the seats. The 49 -50 dash was carried over to 51 … 52. Our cars were sourced from Canada and had the 216 cubic inch engine with the long side plate from 52 onwards. All cars were three speed manuals. Anything other than these cars were privately imported, and my Bel Air is a Rare car on these Roads.
My car has been painted twice, once black and white, then two tone blue as you see it now. The original colour scheme is Saddle brown (metallic bronze/brown) on the body with Sahara beige on the roof.
When I brought the cars the 1958 blew most of my budget not leaving too much for the 52. This was the best I could find at the time; it had a Camaro 327, hydomatic and ten bolt rear. A lot of trim was missing, the car was lowered so that it was sitting on the bump stops, a power steering unit had been cut into the chassis, with a modern tilt steering column, and non original seats.
But it came with a straight rust free body. I drove the car for a few years after fitting the correct trim, wheels and springs. I then sold the running gear wanting to put it back to original.
It then sat for about fifteen years while I lifted the car off the chassis and carried out chassis and body repairs where they had been hacked to make way for the V8 and power steering. I crawled through a few junk yards in the States to find the correct parts and then lowered the body back onto the chassis.
The correct, Powerglide transmission and high ratio diff were hunted down, checked over and fitted.
Then the correct 235 cubic inch six cylinder engine was overhauled and fitted.
I was looking for reliability and more power in the low rev range to help the non shifting Powerglide. I found a 1954 Powerglide engine for a donor and used all the internals.
The block and bearing cap were machined down to receive the later crankshaft, (54 has a narrower number 3 main bearing). The block was bored and crank stroked slightly to achieve 252 cubic inches. The 54 connecting rods and aluminum pistons were fitted. The harmonic balancer was overhauled and all internals including torque converter outer housing were balanced.
The block was machined to accept the larger hi lift camshaft from the 54. The complete rocker gear off the 54 was used, oiled through the 52 system (the pipe from the top of the rear camshaft to the rocker shaft). The higher oil pressure helps with the extra load from the high lift camshaft.
The 54 oil pump and sump were fitted, the oil distributor valve, from the oil dipper system, on the side of the block, was removed replaced by a flat plate to stop oil flow back to the crank case.
I also drilled an extra oil gallery between the front cam bearing to the front of the hydraulic lifter gallery, to match the one on the rear cam bearing, which assists with oil pressure to the lifters after start up. The original external oil filter is fitted.
The original head and valves were used with cleaned ports, combustion chamber and manifold. The compression was raised and "High Performance Coatings” were applied to exhaust ports, combustion chambers, valves and pistons.
All engine modifications are internal, looking completely standard on the outside, the standard 105 HP is now estimated at 135 - 140HP.
I have fitted a 57 jet to the carburetor instead of the standard 58; economy has improved with no change to drivability. I run her on regular 91 octane petrol with no pre igniting, even with the timing slightly advanced.
The car was once again on the road in with complete new brakes, front suspension, shock absorbers and tyres.
The extra horse power helps the old girl keep up with modern city and highway traffic quietly, smoothly and without any fuss, I rarely need to use first gear. We have some fairly hilly terrain in New Zealand and there is never any need for full throttle, I hear the standard version of the powerglide can struggle abit on long gradients.
This car is used as a daily driver and will be restored to the original colour scheme at a later date. I have lots of parts and accessories waiting for the restoration. Its other stable mate is a 1932 Special Sedan.
Ian Ferguson.

My favorite Chevies were built in the 30's 40's and 50's.
32 Special Sedan, 41 Special Deluxe coupe, 52 Bel Air Hardtop and 58 Impala Convertible.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
That is one fine looking Bel Aire! talk

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Beautiful Car Ian,

Would you mind if I put it on my blog.

Cheers

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Great story and info, great looking car. I especially like the license plates!

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
That's one fine automobile, Ian. You must be proud of it.
That wouldn't happen to be "dusk gray", would it...?

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the nice comments,
You are more than welcome to use the pictures Ray, sorry they aren't better quality.
The paint is a non original two toned blue Kevin, It will be going back to Saddle brown with a Sahara beige top at restoration.
Thanks again,
Ian.

My favorite Chevies were built in the 30's 40's and 50's.
32 Special Sedan, 41 Special Deluxe coupe, 52 Bel Air Hardtop and 58 Impala Convertible.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.