Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
A few days ago I got a 1959 belair with a 283 2 barrel carb.I need to order a shop manual but will not get it till next week.

Starting cold when you put it in gear and step on the gas it releases the choke and stalls out. When the car warms up it runs fine. The automatic choke is set on the richer side. I thought the spring may be the issue but if it is don't know were to go for replacement. Any help on this and were to go for parts would be a great help. Also what does the throttle check valve do. thanks

Doug
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Doug,

Okay, let's start from scratch.... when the engine is running, does the hot air tube which goes to the carburetor choke housing getting hot??

The reason I ask is that over time, the tube (inside the exhaust manifold) rots away. Exhaust gas and carbon can now enter the choke housing and this contaminates the little vacuum piston inside the housing.

Quite often, the technician will "readjust" the choke spring richer to compensate for the loss of pull-off action completed by this little vacuum piston.

The only remedy is to remove the choke housing and soak in a cold carburetor cleaning chemical or use an ultrasonic cleaner. (preference on ultrasonic)
To remove the housing, the choke blade must be removed, and it is easier to do with the carb off the engine.

Also, check the exhaust manifold tube to verify its integrity. It can be replaced - and when I do it - I prefer stainless steeel or monel as the material since it will no longer fail as the OEM part can.

The vacuum dashpot on the throttle linkage side of the carburetor is used to control "throttle closing action" during deceleration. It prevents the engine from stalling.

Last edited by bowtieollie; 04/27/12 08:25 PM.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Oliver,
The choke tube on my car goes only about 3/8" in the exhaust manifold where there is a sleeve it goes into. The gases would go up the tube? Does the vacumn in the choke housing pull the heat into the choke housing? the tube gets hot for about 3" up tube from the manifold. I did not get to take the housing off yet to check the piston. I need to get the car home to work on it better. thanks for the help..

Doug
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
A special stainless steel tube is pressed nto the manifold. It extends through the complete manifold and is open at the bottom. These tube are being reproduced. The tube that runs up to the carburetor slips into the stainless tube. There is a slight vacuum draw in the choke housing that sucks the heat up the tube. Runnning with the tube open into the manifold will draw up carbon, etc. that is in the exhaust the gum up the choke parts.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Chevgene,
*Where can I get this tube?
*Would I need to take the manifold off to put it on.
*If the tube runs through the complete manifold where does it come out.

Guys thanks for all your help and patience with me...

Doug
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
can get it from Eckler's Late Great Chevy, 1-800-285 7461, part # 563159, $8.99
exhaust manifold must be removed. New tube is installed from the top down as the top is larger that the bottom so the upper heat tube can slip into it. Remains of old tube can be tapped out - top and bottom. tube fits into manifold and it open at the bottom so if can draw air up thru the tube. Will be about flush with the bottom of the manifold when installed,
Once the manifold is removed will be easy to figure out. The manifold does not require a gasket between the manifold and head as long as the surfaces are clean. Will need an exhaust packing gasket for the exhause pipe.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
thanks for the info!

Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.