Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
On the recently completed Mid-America pre-29 Tour several of the '28 Chevys had a five digit one letter "number" stamped on the left side of the dash. It was located about midway between the steering column and left end of the dash. One car noted was St. Louis (plant 3) assembled and another Flint (plant 1). Another St. Louis assembled Coupe did not have the number but had the dash painted by a PO so it could have been filled in. The numbers were the same size and spacing indicating that they were not hand stamped but, stamped with a holder or frame to keep the numbers and letter aligned.

Anyone have a clue to why the number?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper,

You beat me to the punch as I was wondering the same thing. I just had the dash media blasted on my '28 and discover the digits very lightly stamped into the steel. They do not match the vehicle number!

When I get home tonight I can follow up on this posting with the characters that are stamped.

Thanks,
Jeff

Member # 8618
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a book on antique car keys and locks and it says "Chevrolet lock numbers sometimes are stamped on the dashboard"

have a nice day
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have also a mystic number on my 28 dash board. The car is assemble in Copenhagen.I have no idea what is mean?
The number are X 11476 N

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I have a 28 cowl left over from my tourer project after I got a better one. It had a number exactly where Chipper saw the one he mentioned. It also had a < left of the number and a > at the right.
I'm 99% sure the Aus. cowls came with the chassis and Holden built the rest of the body as it (and others) all had the 2 holes where the Fisher plant ID plate would have been. However I've never been able to say for sure that this was the case. But to throw a spanner in the works/theory not all cowls had the number on the dash.
My conclusion now from what Chipper said above above is that one factory doing this suggets that some of these cowls came to Australia.
I guess we'll never know for sure.
Chris

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hey Chipper
Very interesting stamped numbers, I have two dash panels and thought I should check them for these stamped numbers, I took a look and found no numbers on either panels in that location.
I do belive both panels are Canadian models but not fully sure.
I am woundering if certian States/ M.F.G. Plants had this stamped number where others did not.? or????
The mystery still remains.

Keeping vintage Chevy alive.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper,

I followed up on my stamped number and it is >28746D

I also checked the theory of possibly the key number but I do not have an original key. The lock cylinder itself has H314 stamped into the exterior housing.

Thanks,
Jeff

Member # 8618
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My Holden bodied 1928 tourer has the numbers stamped on the left of the dash >07771N

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Chaps,
I have just finished restoring my 1928
sedan and noticed these numbers >70479D and
like the rest of you wandered what they mean.
I suspect being down under in New Zealand the parts
of this car would have been out of Canada.
Cheers
John Dix

dixies
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All, My Holden bodied tourer has > 07681 N stamped on the left of the cowl.
I mentioned this a couple of years ago from memory but drew a blank.
It would be interesting to know the reason for the number, my stamping is pretty close to one of the other posts probably out of the same plant about the same time.
cheers peter.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
My 28 Coach has them as well. It was built in Janesville, WI. I never gave it a thought to check them agaist the key number, but will next time I go to where it is stored.

28 Chevy LO Capitol 1 ton, 28 National 2 dr coach, 71 Chevy Custom Camper 3/4 ton. Also 23 Oldsmobile Economy truck and a 24 Olds sport touring.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All
My '28 roadster has >08113N, I was told by a very informed friend that the majority of cars from the state of Queensland in Australia had these numbers,as it happens my roadster came from QLD, I have three other dashes in the shed without the numbers?????

Brian
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
G'day Fellas,

No numbers on mine, been out in the shed with all lights blazing and touch in hand but still no numbers to be seen on the dash at all

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
HI ALL,

NO NUMBERS ON MY COWL THAT I CAN SEE.BUT THEN THERE IS A THICK LAYER OF PAINT HIDING IT.

MAYBE THATS WHY.

CHEERS

RAY

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
howdy all, am restoring a 27 that has the numbers stamped in the dash, car was built in janesville wis.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
That number is found in a few different positions ,A number of years ago when Ken Kaufman was visiting here in Australia he commented that my car must have been stolen, as it did not have the number stamped in the dash ,I then pointed out that it is also found on the under edge of the cowl/dash beside the steering column lock /switch.when he returned home he looked on his then 27 coupe and his car also had the number on the under edge. he had given me some information about it but it seems to be filed where I cannot put my hands on it. if you contact Ken I am sure he will shed some light on it,as Lachlan 31 said most cars here in Queensland/ Australia have the number in the dash where most N.S.W. cars have it on the under edge.

Jim
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Folks - I had noticed that stamped dash number on my 1928 sedan, and the '28 cabriolet I recently purchased also has it (Both to left of steering wheel prominently on dash). Two other '28's that I've been in or near also had dash numbers. I can't solve the mystery, but here's my numbers:

4 dr sedan - Dash # >91844E
Car # 1 AB 21367 (does the 1 indicate a Flint car?)

Cabriolet - Dash # >87329D
Car # 3 AB 20007 (does the 3 indicate a St.Louis car?) I should note last car number could be a 1. There is quite a patina on the plate.

I only have key for second car. It's a stubby little specimen with "Chicago Lock" and ornate design carved into head. It has no lock code on it, and I have no idea if it is even an original key?

Hope someone can figure this out as I've always found the dash numbers curious. Can someone tell me if I'm interpreting the first number as a plant code on plate with car# I'm new to world of vintage chevys

potomactwo
joe

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Hi Rusticle,

You are correct in assuming that the "1" indicates Flint and the car was assembled in March.

The "3" indicates St Louis and the car was assembled in January.

I have three 28s and they all have numbers stamped in the dash. Don't have a clue as to the meaning of the numbers.

Have you tried the key in your steering lock. Two different locks were used and each had it's own type of key. If you disassemble the steering lock there will be a code on the cylinder that indicates the key.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.