Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can anyone tell me if it is possible for me to find out the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price on my 1950 Styleline Deluxe. And to what dealer the car deliverwed to after it was built in March of 1950

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We're going to need a little more info... 2 door or 4 door, options, transmission, etc...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 1950 Styleline Deluxe is a 2 door Sedan,it was radio and heater delete. It has a wind-up clock,a sun visor on the outside. A standard cloth interior a 216cu.in. engine with a 3speed manual shift transmission. I hope this info helps, THANKS for your help

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The retail price of a Deluxe 2 door was $1482.00 + tax and shipping charges.
The radio and heater was not a delete item as all cars were shipped without them and they would be installed by the dealer if the buyer wanted them.
A clock was standard equipment on the Deluxe model.
The sun visor would be a dealer installed accessory or could have been purchased later and instaled by anyone. If it is a genuine Chevrolet visor it will have a heavy chrome band on the front edge as well as a chrome mounding in the center covering the area where the left and right half join together. There will be three screws attaching it to the rain gutter on each side.
There were perhaps a dozen aftermarket visors available in 1950 with the most popular one eing made by Foulton.
There is no way to determine what dealer sold the car. The serial number will indicate the month it was assembled and the factory that assembled the vehicle.

Gene Schneider
CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
THANKS again for all your help. I checked my sun visor and it looks like an orginal Chevy item. The stamping on the engine block is HAM469453 which I think means the engine was built in 1950, a standard 216 passenger car engine, built at the Tonawanda NY plant about March of 1950. The vehicle ID # is 214HK1157426. Was the Tonawanda NY plant just for engines or did they mfg. complete cars at that plant. Is there any books that I can purchase that will help in finding out the history of my baby. I know the car was orginally purchased in Hickory N.C.in 1950, I was told the Chevy dealership in Hickory went out of business years ago and was owned by two brothers. I have been unable to find out any more information about them. I think half of the fun, besides working on and driving, my baby is trying to find out the complete history of the car so I can pass it on to my kids. Once again THANKS.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
FYI-The clock was available as a wind-up type or electric.

Contrary to the rumors, I'm making great progress on the bulb. So far I have found 169 things that won't work.---Thomas Edison.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The wind up clock was stadard equipment. The (no good) eletric clock was a dealer installed accessory.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The Wind-up in my '47 is original and still works ! ...When I remember to wind it...! The Tonawanda , N.Y. plant was engines only , Flint of course had a motor plant , too...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree that discovering a car's history can be a lot of fun and educational. From my experiences, I can tell you it's not easy. Since you know the car was sold in Hickory, I would suggest you contact the NC DMV and have them do a title search. Most states will do that for a fee once you prove you are the owner and have a valid reason. However, since VINs didn't come into being until the 60's many states used different numbers to register the cars. Some used motor numbers while others used a combination of the body number and serial numbers. Your serial is located on the driver's door jamb and your body number should be on your cowl plate. Good luck and happy hunting.

You could also post a public notice in the local Hickory newspaper describing the car and asking for people to come
forward if they know the car.The Hickory Chamber of Commerce and Library would be good places to research the dealer name and owners. You may be able to track down some descendants of the dealership.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by kevin47
The Wind-up in my '47 is original and still works ! ...When I remember to wind it...! The Tonawanda , N.Y. plant was engines only , Flint of course had a motor plant , too...
I have a wind-up also that works. Can anyone tell me how long it will run on a full crank? I don't drive the car enough to find out.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by chevy1937
Originally Posted by kevin47
I have a wind-up also that works. Can anyone tell me how long it will run on a full crank? I don't drive the car enough to find out.
The clock in my 52 has to be wound daily. I wind and reset it while the engine is warming. talk

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I don't try to wind it up all the way...But I thought mine ran down in about 30 hours...Come to think of it maybe I'm not winding it much ...? Oh , what the heck I'm just happy it works at all...!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thye were a thirty hour clock. I wind mine all the way and it works fine considering the age.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I wind the clock in my '51 Chevy all the way too. The clock has been working fine for the past 52 years that I have owned the car.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Your clock is a Westclock made for G.Ms for many years. Westclock employed 1000's over the years and was going on the National Heritage list. The building in LaSalle Illinois was burnt to the ground by 2 dirtbags earlier this year. Seems anything old;to them; wasn't important.

Old cars have always owned me.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Chevrolet used three different brands of clocks. Westclock, Lux and Waterbury. We had a near by jewler that repaired them under warranty (new car warranty)

Gene Schneider
CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the suggestions, I contacted the Hickory Chamber of Commerce, the person I spoke with was a life long resident of Hickory, N.C.. As I told her what I was trying to research she said I know the Chevy dealership, it was Everett Chevy. One of the orginal owners was Marvin Everett and his son currently is running the dealership. I am currently trying to contact them to see if they can help with any information. I also was given the name of a contact at the Hickory Library who would research old newspapers to see if Everett Chevy ran any advertisements that she could send to me. Thanks again for the suggestions.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
You bet. It sounds like you have some strong leads. Who knows--you may even find the original owner!! My trail went cold.

Take care.

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hey one more try.
Anybody out there from the Gordon/Valentine NE or Winner/Hot Springs SD know anything about a 51 Styleline special spt cpe (ser# 5JJC 6504)?? It was made in March 1951 at the Kansas City Plant. I bought it from Roger Vasholtz in Geneseo KS back in 2001.???

Thanks

https://vccachat.org/images/icons/default/confused.gif

Rick

CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just wanted to give you an update on my research to find the orginal owner of my 1950 Chevy. The N.C. D.M.V finally responed to my request for a Title Shearch, the orginal owner of my car was Clifton Hilton of Newton N.C.. He registered the car on Oct.4th 1950. I also was able to to find out that the car was purchased at Nuzum-Cross Chevrolet, Newton N.C.. Nuzum-Cross was purchased by Dale Earnhart Sr.in 1983 and still is Dale Earnhart Chevrolet. The copy of the orginal title showed the engine number along with the serial # that is on the driver side door frame. So it looks like the engine is the same one that was installed when the car was built at Chevy's manufacturing plant in Baltimore Md. I hope the research on your car is going well.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Congratulations ! Glad to hear your hard work is paying off !

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
C G,

Frankly, I'm amazed you were able to get all that info. You must have gotten ahold of a "helpful" DMV person.....which is often thought to be unusual.
auto wow
Bill.

Last edited by 42bill; 03/27/12 05:56 AM.
CGchevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I agree with you, I was very lucky to speak to some of the most helpful people. The N.C. D.M.V. supplied copies of all the titles for my car from 1950 till 1993 when the car came north to N.J. to live with me. Also I spoke with a great person at the Hickory N.C. Library that researched old newspapers and sent me a copy of an add that Nuzum-Cross Chevrolet ran in the local newspaper in 1950. I am going to put all this information on a display board to display at local car shows. What I found interesting is the orginal owners had the car in their family for 33 years before they sold it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.