Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#236481 03/08/12 12:13 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello,

I have everything taken out from under the dash of my '37. I have the cowl vent completely removed but the arms that the cowl vent mounts to seem to be permanently attached to the dash. All I can see is a rivet that holes the two arms on.

Could someone explain how this comes out?

Thanks,
Brandon

Youth is wasted on the young
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Leave this part attached to the car unless there is an absolute reason you need to remove it for repair.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/tnadams/1937%20Chevy%20Pickup/IMG_6385.jpg

I took the cowl vent off of my 37 ½ ton last week … along with the dash and everything else I could remove. See picture … are you referring to the two mounting brackets on either side of the vent? If so it appears that these two brackets are riveted to the vent drain pan. I cannot tell how the pan is secured to the cowl. I don’t plan on removing it unless absolutely necessary. Mine is pretty rusty and I am hoping that it can be repaired in place.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Yes, that is the part I was talking about. I couldn't figure out how to get the pan off, but with these responses I'll just leave it on there. I thought I might take the arms off and sand blast them and repaint them before I reinstall but I'll just let the sandblaster get them as much as possible on the car.

Thanks,
Brandon

Youth is wasted on the young
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
While you may be able to see it from under the dash, from the outside in the drip channel under the vent gasket...and under the paint, rust, and crud you will note that the vent mount/pan is spot welded to the cowl and should be left alone.

That being said, if anyone is parting out a 37 car, I need such an assembly as mine is rusted out. Apparently, New Zealand weather wasn't kind to this area of the car.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.