Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#234310 02/14/12 05:26 PM
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
CNN is saying in July gas could easlily be bewteen $4 and $5 a gal. The $5 mark would be in major cities. You guys better quit pulling that choke lever out on these old Chevrolets.

Seriously. I hope that doesn't happen, that would be really hard on the economy.

The local Chevy dealer just got a Chevrolet Volt in stock, I wonder if they'd take a 74 year old trade-in ? grin

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Is the Volt Green? bigl haha rolllaugh pineapple

Ken's 1940 Special Deluxe Sedan
1970 Cadillac Hearse
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
If gas goes ABOVE $5 , I don't care if it's painted Green or Pink. Volt sales will soar. Right now the Volt is barely hanging on. The Consumers adjust to the conditions of what it takes to make both ends met. You have to do whatever works to get by. Here in Tennessee almost everyone is selling their old Gold that's been laying around in the jewelery box. At $5 a gal, it would be almost impossible to work for minimum wage. The bad thing is when times get hard....CRIME goes UP.

Glad I bought that ole 38 a CHROME reproduction LOCKING gas cap...

Last edited by wawuzit; 02/14/12 05:58 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Steve If things get too bad were you live you could always move across the mountain to Charlie's neighborhood they don't worry about what gas cost there as long as they got their Mule to ride they don't need on "STINKING GAS"......ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
That's a mighty big change of life. Did you ever hear the Hank Williams Jr. song about a country boy can survive? I can fish on the river and can make a rabbit box if I have to. Poor ole Charlie is stuck over there in deep sand covered in Fire ants. He's still trying to figure out if he wants a 216 or a 4.3 V-6....hehehe

dance2

Last edited by wawuzit; 02/14/12 06:19 PM.
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Buy a couple of bricks of .22 LR HPs and a brick of .22 Short standard velocity and a big sack of salt and keep your rifle and revolver cleaned and oiled, your knife sharp, and your powder dry. Several hundred fish hooks and a big roll of 30 pound test line. After a couple of months without coffee and a lot of sugar and pogybait you won't even need a flashlight. I like the idea of the rabbit traps, myself.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yep, and here in Iowa our brilliant legislators want to raise the gas tax 8 cents a gallon to fix the roads. Why fix the roads if no one can afford to drive on them? Oh, but they have the money to kill the grass in the road ditches and plant "wild flowers" in them!

Ed
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
oops, was that a political post? Sorry, it was meant as an anti political post. bigl

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
With Steve and Eastern Ed's comments I think I might as well just get me a Volt also. Or some other car that doesn't burn much gasoline. Agrin

Mule might work, Eastern Ed. But I live in the city and they won't ket me keep no mule here. It would be a situation of diminishing returns. devil

Anyway, NC has the highest gasoline tax in the nation. I think. Didn't look it up.

Keep the faith, fellows. There may be a change a-coming. Who knows?
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLY-GREEN...es&hash=item4162955730#ht_500wt_1413

Steve,
This is what you have been dreaming about. Well, here is one done up in your favorite color. How cool it would look a-traversing the mountain sides and slipping down into the hollows to visit the Dairy Queen. drool

Yes-sir-ree! All the younguns would want a ride in it. You'd only have to have scrup off the dirt from their feet before they got in it. Haul a bunch of um too. That is if you had all the boys leave behind their dueling banjo's and all the girls leave behind their knock-off Guchi and Coach purses. wave

Even Eastern Ed, would agree with me on this. monkey

So, Steve, why don't you mosey on over east and take this 41 conv. project off my hands and fulfill your dream. I'm sick of the thing. Am too! please
Charlie computer

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Actually...I like that car. If it had Cream colored rims ,it would look even better. I'm gonna wait until you get your 41 finished and drive over the hill, then ask to try it out on some of our "Thunder Road" type roads.!!

I got faith in you. It won't be long now. You'll have that 2 station AM radio a blarin and arm out the window and big Cigar. I can see it now. All the Tarheels will be'a sayin " I knew old Charlie when he didn't have nothin".

My 41 convert might look a little different than yours!

http://www.mautofied.com/AdPhotos/10242499_20111130134825.jpg

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Nothing against those heavily modified, street rods, et al, but you know how long it takes me to look at one? Well, what is your definition of a nanosecond?

That thar pixture of that thang frum outta space, wus downright crule. Wuz too! (Spoken in Tennesseean and Southern Ohian.) Agrin
Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Oh my, Dorothy, another discussion about $5 gas and the Volt. I love these. They are so much fun.

Uncle Ed: don't feel bad about mentioning the political element of the price of gas; as has been discussed on these forums many times, the federal, state, and local governments are the major contributors to high gas prices due to their taxes and regulations. (to misquote William S: to build or not to build a pipeline, now that is the question).

To ignore the various governments' impact on the price of gas is the same as banning the discussion of drivetrains when talking about cars.

Wawuzit: I think the research is pretty clear, downturns in the economy don't by themselves create higher crime rates. There are factors that contribute more to higher crime rates such as is there a father in the home.

In fact, here in AZ we have seen our crime rates go down during this recession but the major reason has nothing to do with the economy.

KWChevy: I know you were making a pun, but I don't know how you define "green" when describing the Volt but most people simply look at the emissions of the car when they determine "green" and in that the coal-powered Volt is better than gas powered cars when the Volt is using electric because the emissions are created by the local coal-fired plant that makes the electricity, not the car and therefore are often not considered.

However, according to Motor Trend Mag if you drive a Volt with the heater or air and radio on you'll probably get only about 20 - 25 miles on a full charge before the gas kicks in and you either have to wait another 8 hours to drive another 25 miles or use gasoline (25 miles won't even take me to Wal Mart and back-- and then there is no room for the packages, but that is another issue).

Once the gasoline kicks in on a Volt and other hybrid cars, the MPG is much less than many compact cars so you'd be better off with a regular gas-powered compact car if you want to save the environment or money on gas.

But more importantly, even if you never use the gas feature, if you take into consideration ALL environmental impacts of so-called hybrid cars, the electric/gas ones do more damage to the environment than do gasoline-powered compact cars --- especially the mining, production, and shipping of the batteries. For further information on this see the recent study by the University of Tennessee - Knoxville that has been in the media as of late.

Wawuzit: Finally, each Volt is costing the taxpayer about $275,000 to produce and the list price is still in the $40,000 range. The federal government is now proposing to give buyers a $10,000 rebate and the net cost will still be $10-15,000 more than the Prius. Hardly consumer-friendly and that is why to date the Volt is pretty much purchased by people with a lot of money to spare (demographic profile of Volt buyers is the much the same as for BMW buyers according to recent media reports) and not someone who needs to save money on gasoline.

Bottom-line is this: if the consumer wants one of these things (even though the break-even on the higher price of a hybrid vs regular compact car with gas at $5 a gallon can be 7 - 10 years depending on how many miles you drive each trip), the Prius is the one --- especially that new one with more storage room in back and that is what the average consumer is buying, not the Vole(not a typo). And, of course, the Prius doesn't blow up when in an accident.

Let the discussion continue. For me, the sun is out and it is going to be around 70 today, so I need to get into my Supercrew F150 long-bed with the big V8 that gets only 18 mpg (13 when towing)and cost me less than a Volt, and drive to the golf course and then drive a Volt-like vehicle for a quick 18.

Fore!!!!

David

Sunbird advice: When the temperature outside is lower than your age, it is time to head south.

Hubris is as hubris does!
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I was half way kidding about a Volt. I was interested in a Volt when I first heard about the Volt. At $24k and over 100 miles on electric power before going to the mini gas engine, I thought that might be my next car . I have several cars,but one that would do that would be nice to JET around town ,never going to gasoline ,would be cool. Recharging in 6 hours and I'd be set to go.

Well..that didn't happen. Now the price is $44k, it only goes 20-25 miles on electric power in cold weather(Heater). It takes 6-8 hours to recharge on 120 volts. The battery could cost up to $10k to replace.

If I had to buy a car ,just thinking about overall mileage per dollar, it would the VW. They just opened a brand new factory here in Tennessee.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31769.shtml

wawuzit #234665 02/18/12 12:10 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Wawuzit:

First, I know we are off-topic for 37-42 forum and we should take this thread elsewhere, but I want to respond to your last post.

The VW looks like a good choice for an around-the-town car. You might also look at the Hyundai Elantra which is rated at 40 mpg hwy, and 29 city and is said to get up to 50.

I have owned two Hyundai Santa Fes and have gotten over 90,000 miles from both with no major problems (they have a 100,000 mile warranty). The Hyundai warranty is better than almost any other compact car.

However, be careful. I have read that the high millage versions of some of these compact cars can often cost $2,000 to $3,000 more than ones that get 5-10 mpg less. If my math is correct it will take you 75,000 miles to break even at $5 per gallon.

When I got my F150 they offered an Eco-Boost V6 engine that is supposed to get 23 mpg but cost $3,500 more. When I ran the numbers vs big V8 at 18 mpg, it just did not make sense because the break-even point was so far out.

David

Sunbird advice: When the temperature outside is lower than your age, it is time to head south.

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
If it's a close call on a couple of the same types of cars, I guess I'll go with the new Tennessee plant in Chattanooga building the VW. I'm a Tennessee boy at heart.

I've got a new Cadillac that gets 24.5 mpg. My Silverado truck has the small V8 and gets 18mpg at the very best. Believe it or not the Corvette LS3 gets 29mpg all day long.

The 38 coupe gets 8-9 mpg (235)

Last edited by wawuzit; 02/18/12 02:13 PM.
wawuzit #234688 02/18/12 02:41 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
...8-9 mpg...? Maybe you'd better get those Fentons...grin

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
wawuzit #234695 02/18/12 04:34 PM
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by wawuzit
If it's a close call on a couple of the same types of cars, I guess I'll go with the new Tennessee plant in Chattanooga building the VW. I'm a Tennessee boy at heart.

I've got a new Cadillac that gets 24.5 mpg. My Silverado truck has the small V8 and gets 18mpg at the very best. Believe it or not the Corvette LS3 gets 29mpg all day long.

The 38 coupe gets 8-9 mpg (235)

My Corvette gets 32 mpg (premium only) crazy.....if I drive it responsibly. I can"t wait to see how many mpg's the 41 gets, don't really care though as I will be having a blast pineapple

Gary
1941 Chevy Coupe
Oklahoma Some Where
VCCA# 47748
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OK greenish groupies, the official list is out of the most green cars as measured by MPG or MPKWH only. If they have both the org looked at the best score. Sorry, but the Volt does not make the top 10 list. This study is by someone called "www.greencars.org

Remember, it only measures "green" based on emissions and not on environmental impact of batteries or having to constantly use a Bobcat to dig it up after your neighbor's dog buries it one more time.

Mitsubishi I-Meiv 3.8 KWH city/2.9 KWH hwy
Honda Civic Natural Gas
Nissan Leaf
Toyota Prius
Honda Insight
Smart Fortwo Cabriolet
Scion IQ
Honda Civic Hybrid
Lexus CT200H
Toyota Camry Hybrid LE
Honda CR-Z
Toyota Yaris at 30mpg city/36hwy

These little beauties will come in very handy when we hit $6 gas.

They are all great cars. I know, I carry one in my truck's longbed and use it as a dinghy.

David

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Did you say WHEN it hits Six Bucks. Florida =$6.00 Alaska = $6.34 NOW

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/...per-gallon-florida-you-asked-for-it.html

If we're giving up our form of government to join a "new world government" then it would be only fair to let the gas prices average out to a universal price, how about ....say $9.99 a gal.? Where's Ross Perot when we need him?

F-250 w/40 gal tank = $400.00 Sounds fair to me...Smiling

BTW..I hope you know I'm teasing...grin

Last edited by wawuzit; 02/23/12 11:21 AM.
wawuzit #235163 02/23/12 11:50 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Wawuzit: I think the $6 gas in Florida is at Disney World and that says it all if you have ever been there and bought a coke.

In Alaska you just load up your old car's trunk with gold from the stream in your back yard, and drive down to fill it up. Prices are relative up there.

Just think, when you started this thread you said gas was at $5, yesterday I said it would hit $6 based on an interview I saw on Fox Business News with the former CEO of Shell; and now you are reporting it has. I can't wait for tomorrow's price! And yet it is still under $3 in Wyoming this morning.

I am going to move my RV, truck, and old cars to Montana or Wyoming this Spring so I can afford the gas to drive them. In AZ I have a massive solar panel on the top of each of my vehicles. The solar panel doesn't power the vehicles but at least I can sit in them and listen to Bluegrass Junction or Willie's Roadhouse on SirusXM while I read a free mystery book on my Kindle.

If gasoline hits $9 think what your Exxon-Mobil stock will be worth. The dividends alone will pay for year's gas for your ole' Chev. (financial comment about buying fuel for old cars, not a political comment).

David

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I'm not complaining YET. Here in Tennessee it's $3.45 for Regular. The guys who will feel the pinch are FIXED income and minium wage workers. I see dealerships FULL of 18mpg cars and trucks,I think that will hurt alot of people.Just a rumor will trend the economy. The public scares easily. In 24 hours the markets can jump drastically.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Folks,

As moderator I've gotten a few requests over the last couple days about topics in the 1937 - 1942 forum being off topic.

So I'm going to lock this and ask that these subjects be started in the "General Discussion" forum in the future.

Thanks for you help in this matter.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.