Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#233597 02/07/12 07:31 PM
jfalk Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
hello,replacing the vinyle roof on my 67 caprice coupe.I removed the mouldings, stripped the roof (no rust thank God) Now I am not sure what compound is best to use to get the old glue or contact cement off. Also even more troubling is how do I remove the caprice emblems from the sail panels without damaging them?I tried to access them from inside but I am not sure that is possible. Anybody familiar with this? Sure could use some advice. thanks j falk

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I removed the old glue on my '69 Malibu with a razor blade scraper. It came off with little difficulty. When it went to the body shop after that, my body man sanded off any additional remnants with a DA and primed it. The upholstery man used a commercial glue in a spray gun to attach the new vinyl. He cleaned up his mess with gasoline.
Sid

jfalk Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks for the reply. I started scraping the old glue off the same way (about 2/3 finished) so I guess I am on the rite track.As for the emplems, I pried one off as gently as I could, but I did break two of the three tabs on backside of emblem. Hope to use some JB Weld in repairing and re-attaching emblem. I will try to grind down some shimming tools and hopefully have more success in the removal of the next one.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Gasoline will leave a residue that will not allow the adhesive to properly bond to the metal.Use mineral spirits then use a solution of diluted vinegar to neuralize the surface

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.