Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#233029 02/02/12 08:35 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I'm looking at an original 1930 pickup. All the parts are there. Metal is straight, painted faded with expected wear. No rust. Tires need to be replaced but new tubes hold air. Seats were restored to look like original several years ago and still look great. Engine looks all original and like it was taken care of but has not ran since seller's father shut it off several years ago. Oil & coolant were drained when parked. For some reason, the carb. is off.

Any thoughts about this truck. I have never seen one but it looks cool. MAIN QUESTION: What would a reasonable price be considering it is not running?

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It is very difficult to value a vehicle without a more complete description. How is the wood? Is is close cab or open cab? Does the engine turn over or is it stuck? Does the radiator leak? What type of box?

As you describe it I would not pay more than $ 3-5K. If roadster pickup might double it.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Chipper, thanks for your post! Anyone else?

At this point I have only looked at pictures. From the information I have been given, I THINK the wood is OK, the engine turns over. Don't know about the radiator. It is a closed cab, not a roadster. I will ask the owner to put oil and water back in it before I go look at it. I plan on taking my Optima 6V with me to see if the starter works, etc.

It is almost 3 hours away so any ideas and advice I can get here will help me decide if it is worth the trip. At this point, the owner wants more than you, and another member, suggest. The two of you are very close to the same value (on the low end).

1934 Three Window Coupe
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I can't give you a value, but check the brakes and wiring under the dash, and tailpipe from the engine to the tail.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
There are 2 values in my view.
Option 1: If the truck is in "near drivable" condition and that is what you intend it for, i.e. no more than perhaps $1,000 to have it ready for occasional cruising (no restoring required), then perhaps it is worth rare "Sunday driver" money, say $6,000-$9,000 depending on rarity and condition.
Option 2: If you plan a full restoration, then an in depth condition survey is needed to assess appropriate price. As most restorers know, often just about everything in these old cars needs restoring or refixing or replacement in order to achieve a decent restoration. As such, paying high money for a starter project only to cast off a lot of the starting stuff can make the overall project very pricey. For example if 30% of the wood is poor, a good restorer may decide to replace 100%. If engine compression is low, a full motor overhaul at $4,000 may be needed. While original wheel seals and bearings, kingpins, and brake linings may pass, a restoration would likely require replacement. And stripping painting and new upholstery would be perhaps $10,000 as you may know. So it is tricky to decide how much to pay for a starter project, as you want the best starting package at the lowest possible price. $2500-$3000 for a decent starter is ideal, $8,000 too much in my view unless it is a rare vehicle.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Chipper is spot on- If the seller wants much more then the 5k, don't bother driving 3 hours.
Plenty of nice cars come up, with a little patience.
As everyone said, once you start spending to restore, it never ends.
One of the wisest things I ever heard in the old car hobby when I first started, was that it is far cheaper to buy a done car.
It is true, the only problem is many of us don't have large budgets to get into the hobby.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for all the posts. I have already told the owner his price is way too high in my opinion and all of yours. I also told him he could get more for the truck if he would get it running again. If it were rebuilt properly, as he says, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I would leave the body and paint just as it is. It looks good enough to drive original just like it is. It needs some new tires for sure as the ones on it are dry-rotted but new tubes hold air. Seats were redone several years ago and still look good.

I'm not planning on making a special trip to see it but it is only about 15 miles from where my son and his family live so we will look at it the next time we visit the grandkids, if it has not sold.

1934 Three Window Coupe

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Peter_Gariepy, JEC51, p.k., corvaired), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.