Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
As a greenhorn I've been trying to avoid stupid questions and searched for answers in the forum but I am stuck.

I have my '28 Touring which was in a pasture for some 30-40 years. The back wheels are frozen so after I moved her to my workplace I am trying to get the wheels off and fixed so I could roll her.

Thanks to prior suggestions for removing rusty bolts, I've taken off the lug nuts and the hub caps to both back wheels and one front wheel with the aid of a torch and candle wax. Worked like a dream thanks guys.

Back wheel problem: I took off the cotter pin but I can't get the spindle nut to turn. I am using an original hubcap wrench that seems to catch well. I tried the torch and wax, and also penetrating oil. It is not budging. Could the wheel being frozen be the problem? I am turning pretty hard but I don't want to damage anything.

I managed to take off one of the front wheels when I saw grease after I took off the hubcap. It kept the elements out all those years! the spindle nut easily came off and the wheel pulled off but the drum cover came off with it! So how do I get the hub with the bearings and the part of the break drum off the front wheels? Some suggestions on techniques please. I am always of breaking something.

Thanks guys,

Troy

"All who are wandering are not lost"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The original hubcap wrench is not stout enough to take off the axle nut. Use an impact wrench and socket or socket and break away bar. If that does not do the trick, heating the nut to a dull red may help also. Generally it is necessary to heat rust enough to dehydrate it. It takes at least 400 deg. F to do that but 800 is better. Once the water is driven off then lubricating oil can penetrate and make the task easier and less likely to cause additional damage.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
One of my rear wheels was really stuck on and the hub threads were smashed. Sooooooo, I made wheel puller that used my large gear puller and braced it to the rear of the hub.

See the pics I posted at https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/galleries/227893#Post227893

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the help guys. I got the spindle nut off. Although I feel a little sheepish since Chip basically said "use a bigger wrench" and it worked. I hope to challenge you more in the future Chip.

Dean I can't access the pictures you posted. I sent a email out to get my account properly modified, so I can view it. I am sure I will be shameless in my copying.

Thanks again, Troy

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Troy,

Wooden or disk wheels?

QUOTE: "the wheel pulled off but the drum cover came off with it!"

Not quite sure what you mean here.

Frank.

Last edited by franco; 12/19/11 01:58 AM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi there Dean,

Well done fella on that wheel puller, what we would call a good bit of bush engineering.

And you still have the option to beat it into submission, only joking, these old cars never know when to give in.

sigining off now

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Perhaps I am using the wrong terms.

I have disc wheels. When I took off one of the front wheels on the car. The part immediately behind the wheel came off with it and with the hub still in place in the center of the wheel. I want to take it completely apart so it can be sand blasted, etc.

Thanks, Troy

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Troy,

I have found that the front hubs usually come off easily with the wheel and brake drum after the nut on the end of the stub axle is removed, leaving the wheel still attached to to the hub and brake drum. Don't at this stage remove the hub nuts which look like lug nuts - if you have done so, replace the wheel disk and nuts on the hub. If the wheel resists pulling off, a few good taps with a rubber hammer around the wheel felloe, or better still the tire, if one is fitted, will usually break the wheel, brake drum and hub loose unless the front brakes are binding.

If this does not work you will need a wheel hub puller. The common type which works on both steel disk and wood spoked wheels screws onto the threads for the hub cap. If you do not know somebody who has one, they are easily made if you have access to a lathe.

If you don't have access to a lathe, since you have disk wheels, it is fairly easy to make another type of simple puller from a piece of flat steel bar, some 7/16" UNF ready rod, and a couple of long joining nuts for the ready rod which will do the job. This type won't work on wooden wheels though.

If you cannot access a puller locally and need to make one, and wish to PM me with your e-mail address, I can send you photos and dimensions of whichever type you decide on. It's quicker to borrow one if you can though!

The brake drum and hub can easily be removed from the wheel if desired after the wheel is off the car.

Frank.

Last edited by franco; 12/23/11 03:49 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.