Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ED1938 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Here we go again...The cold air is starting to blow again here in the Ohio Valley...Almost time to put the coupe away again for a winters nap...I think one more good drive just to see the deep colors of fall moving in the country.
The garage I have was built in 1909. A few years ago I restored it to the condition it was in when it was built....I love my garage and many people have commented to me how they love it also.
Once Again I will stuff the wad of steel wool up her exhaust pipe, hang a red shop rag over it to remind me that it's in there and tuck her in for a another winter's sleep. I usually take out the battery an put it on a float charger, fill the tank with gas and dump a half a can of seafoam in the tank (great stuff) I have a window in the back of the garage that faces the west and we get beautiful sunsets this time of the year..(My house is on the top of a hill and has a dynamic view to the west) I love to see that big grin on the grill of the coupe when that sun is shining in that window. O'Well spring is just around the corner.

BTW....All the folks out there who has a LAWN MOWER don't forget to bring it in don't leave it outside to suffer the winter weather..... Remember there are folks in underprivileged countries that cant afford a lawnmower...or a lawn..for that matter....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Weather-wise, we've had a horrendous year in Northeastern PA. I'm sure you know about the terrible damage done to homes and businesses by Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee. Even before that, it was a very wet year. A couple of months were complete washouts. We've blown away the record for the rainfall total for the year. We're at nearly 57 inches. To put that in perspective, our normal annual snowfall total is 46 inches.

Despite all of that, I'm fortunate in that I don't live in one of the areas affected by the flooding and we've still had many periods of nice weather. I've been able to drive my cars a lot this year and, based on today's weather forecast, I intend to take my '40 out for a jaunt this weekend too. It's a sad time when the time comes to put it away and I'm amazed that I can still be driving it in December in NEPA. I think Mother Nature owes it to us after everything else.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It,s hard to believe it's winter in New Hampshire when the temps are in the 50's and 60's.Almost makes me forget the 14"of snow the wicked witch of the north left just before halloween. I finally put my car up yesterday after a short ride. The weather this year in N.H. was the craziest I have ever seen. In a one week period my daughter and son in law had on their property an earthquake,hurricane Irene and then a tornado! Luckily the only damage was to the trees and landscape.

Steve D
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
It really has been crazy. Any one of those events would have been highly unusual, but all three? It's good that they came through relatively unscathed.

The good part about October snow is that it disappears pretty quickly (at least around here). I have always defined the end of my season as the day the road crews lay down the first coat of Car-B-Gone, and that hasn't happened yet. I know I'm on borrowed time and there won't be many more days like this in December but I'm going to enjoy this weather for as long as it lasts!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Yesterday I used the snow blower to clear the drive way, it got up to about 24, tonight we will see 1 degree here and Butte MT our neighboring community (home of Paul Sawyer) will see a nice minus 22 degrees. talk

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Also putting my cars away for winter. No tank full of gas though. I leave them near empty so I can fill with fresh gas in the spring. I also use stablizer. I put extra air in the tires so they don't flat spot.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Lived in PA. before moving to FL., I would endeavor to take my cars out for a drive on Jan. 1st.. Reason was to show the weather gods they didn't scare me.

Ya got to drive'em
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
We had a super Fall so far. However, November was the driest on record. No precipitation at all hardly. Hanging around 10 to 35 degrees above but now hoping for some snow for the winter fun. Put the '31 away for the winter today. Did hit a few golf balls out into the pasture. Will put the clubs away Dec. 15th and get them out again on the first January thaw. togo

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
We have about 5" of snow here and it is 12.5 degrees as I type. The cars are in the shed with dust covers on and battery maintainers hooked up. I did get to use them longer than normal this year.

Ed
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
We're getting our first snow today. Just a dusting, maybe 1".

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
We might get a little snow tomorrow but if it turns out to be light and the roads stay free of salt, as of today the weather folks are predicting another nice weekend. I missed a great photo opportunity last weekend. I was parked in the driveway at my sister's house. It was dusk and the Christmas lights were on. There are hedges around the front porch and they are decorated with the big 7 watt bulbs, which illuminated the car. It would have looked like a vintage picture. If the weather holds out a little longer, I may get another chance.

And if Mother Nature would be so kind, it would be a thrill to go for a ride on Christmas Day or New Years Day. But realistically, that's just a pipe dream. More likely is that I'll be under the car doing some tinkering and general maintenance to help pass the winter months.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
manwre Yep, December is the time to put the Battery Butler on, cover it up until March thaws start. But it's a good time to go over the car and repair all the leaks and small projects that been put off during the warm driving season. It seems like my oil leaks get more attention than anything else. snoman rudolph gifts xmastree

Ken's 1940 Special Deluxe Sedan
1970 Cadillac Hearse
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by glyn
Yesterday I used the snow blower to clear the drive way, it got up to about 24, tonight we will see 1 degree here and Butte MT our neighboring community (home of Paul Sawyer) will see a nice minus 22 degrees. talk
I was wrong about the temperature here, it was actually -5, so much for the morning weather report. talk

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Finally snow in Oslo yesterday evening.Here are the pictures from outside our house:

http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/...now%20in%20Oslo%20-%20Merry%20Christmas/

gsanta gsanta gsanta snoman snoman rudolph gifts xmastree norway

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
How in the world do y-all stand all that cold? You ever heard of a place called Florida? talk

Even here in North Carolina, the best times to drive around is in the fall and winter and spring. Summer is good too, if you wait until late in the afternoon or toward sundown. You can drive the car all year round. auto

Yes, no need to store it up for the winter. No need to add staybile or drain the gas tank. No need to pump up the tires (course if you have radials, some say, there will be no need to pump them up because they never lose any and never need any added. devil

Yes! Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina! (NORTH Carolina, that is.) luv2

Charlie computer

BTW: We do get a little snow once in awhile but that's a freak occasion. The temps only get down to teens at night during January. About a quart of antifreeze is all you need. beermugs

BTW2: Sorry about rubbing this in. I know it hurts something awful. He, he!

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 12/07/11 05:44 PM.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
BTW2: Sorry about rubbing this in. I know it hurts something awful. He, he!

"...ain't it just like a friend of mine to hit me from behind..." wink

Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor

Dan

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Charlie, I hear you, but here's a little "truth in advertising". In Asheville (Great Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina) it is throwing down snow at the moment. I have about 2 inches on the ground and more coming. Cars are snuggled in for the winter. Think I'll have a nice bourbon and branch and watch it come down.

And yes, nothin' could be finer than to be in Carolina..... I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ED1938 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Chip..Your going to have to go to KENTUCKY to get that Bourbon ain't you????....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
drink Come on over!! I think we got about 15-20 distilleries now to chose from. Not counting the many wineries, beermugs or the infamous moonshine folks making that fine sipping whiskey. drink yipp willywow drool haha greenman

Last edited by kwchevy1940; 12/08/11 09:29 AM.

Ken's 1940 Special Deluxe Sedan
1970 Cadillac Hearse
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I'm on the way!

Mmmmmmmm. drink

"It's wise to choose a SIX"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.