Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#223947 11/07/11 05:26 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thinking of picking up an old banger, late 20's. Not sure to go Chev or Ford. Have been told there are more Ford guys to help out a newbee in Sydney, but want to make the right choice.

Any suggestions or warnings.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
veryrusty52 you probably guessed that the answer here would be to buy a Chevrolet, there is a very good club "The Veteran and Vintage Chevrolet Association of Australia" which has a strong following of Chevrolet enthusiasts in Sydney, there is a site where you can access all of their details and I know that you would be making the right choice if you were to buy a Chevrolet.

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday VeryRusty

It's a no brainer that one, an old chev it must be mate, any type but just get it back out there on the road and enjoy it but be warned what ever you do please don't go embrassing any of the local aussies on here with your old rusty car questions, photos and general uneducated bullshit about your lovely planned resto that might lay ahead of you..... Thats my job and I do it well, so I have heard..

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
VeryRusty
Being a Chev 4 owner for than 40 years I can recommend you get one asap as life is too short, and they're a lot cheaper than a F%$#d. Give me ring on 4625 7547 I may be able you with your proposed acquistion, I'll even take you for ride in my 28 convertible sport cabriolet.
Chris

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Gentlemen,

Much appreciate the replies, and although Grant I may not share you ideas I feel a lot of passion. In my day back in the 70's we would have called you a bit of a larrikin, maybe a loveable one, but a larrikin all the same.

Chris, will give you a call down the track when the time is right. I was involved with classic car clubs in my younger days and fell out with all the politics, all these young kids who just wanted to mess up these beautiful cars, chop em up, make em go fast. Walked out of a meeting one night and never went back.

Swore I would never play with cars again, but 25 years down the track, the need is still there. So in my case its finding the right car, keeping it as original as I can, and joining a band of fellas that will tolerate or respect a 62 year old guy that just wants to drive an old car. Nothing fancy, just that.

signing off now

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well being from the US I think you have found the right group of people and club or clubs in both Australia and the United States. They are a great group of people in Australia. ENJOY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Cheers Andy,

Appreciate your reply from way over there. May I ask your opinion on something. Without meaning to be disrespectful to my fellow Aussies, would you think they know as much about the old bangers as you guys in the States who had so many on the road. I ask this as I never see many Chevrolets from the 1920's on the road here in Sydney. A friend of mine from my local service club says he has seen a few here and there always on a trailer. So I was wondering if over here they just use them for show and shine. Not my cup of tea as I would just want to drive them.

You know I heard the other day that they produced something like 1 million 1927 or 1928 Chevs in the United States. Good Lord, I cant even comprehend that many.

Thanks again for the chat, signing off now.

Last edited by veryrusty52; 11/08/11 07:03 AM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have only been involved with this group of people since 2008 but have found that the exchange of information is equal between both countries. We probably have more car in this country but I was surprised to find there are so many cars from all over the world and they have all found this site and club. This year we had our 50th year anniversary in Flint MI. This is also Chevrolet 100th anniversary this year. I had the pleasure of meeting several people from Australia and other countries in the world a that meet. I'm not sure about the numbers of car built in the years of 1927 and 1928 I'm sure someone has a good idea of that number and might post it here. I hope this answer your question and if I can help let me know.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Most likely people will see 20s cars on trailers in urban areas. The same for major highways. The traffic volume, low acceleration rates and slower top speed makes them uncomfortable for people to drive in those environments. But out in the countryside you will find many of them on the road. Same for residential streets where the speeds and driveability are more compatible with other traffic. They were designed to operate on primitive rural roads and early highways with vehicles of similar characteristics. Some of us drive our '27 & '28 Chevys many hundreds of miles per year. They can be a bit of a challenge but well worth the effort. Most people appreciate the history represented by an operating old car. Nearly any idiot can drive a modern vehicle or street rod.

I get the impression that a higher percentage of the VVCCA members in Oz drive their old Chevys than VCCA members in the States. The ones I have met are an enthusiastic and dedicated "family".

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good Day to you Chipper,

you sound like a real down to earth fella. Call me old fashioned, but no way I would put an old banger on a trailer. If it cant get there by its own steam, it not gunna get there I say. And your right about the idots in moden cars and rods, and boy we have our share over here.

Thanks again, signing off now.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
In Australia there were approx. 12,000 Chevs built by Holden Body Works, as well as some fully imported. At GM day in Sydney there were approx. 45 Chev 4's and around 300 cars all up.
I'm heavily involved in two Chev clubs with my 1915, 1928 and 1934.

One is the VVCAA next year having it's 45th Anniversary at Taree on the the coast, mid NSW. And also CHEVS a new club catering for pre WW11 Chevs only.

I personally don't know anyone who trailers a Chev on runs around Sydney. Yesterday I drove my 28 to a Chev mates funeral, from Campbelltown to Minchinbery with 3 other Chevs. For you guys in the US, it's basically half way across western Sydney, probably near 100 mile round trip. On the way home two of the major roads were closed due to a massive stormwhich blew trees down across the roads, it was a horrendous drive through horiizontal rain and I was soaked through the the skin by the time I got home.

We do a lot of lond trips as well, I did 4000 miles down to Tasmania, all round that state and back again in my 34. I was so sick when it came off the boat at Melbourne I drove it straight home, 14 hours. It's now done well over 80,000 miles and never been on a trailer. I even drove it home on trade plates in peak hour traffic when I bought it from a north of Sydney suburb.

However driving a Chev 4 on our freeways is a nightmare these days and about 50% of us now trailer our 4 cyl.s on the freeways. Some of the younger blokes still drive them, eg a bloke from Bundaberg Queensland drove to Tumut on the NSW Vic border, about 5 days solid driving each way. Something I could never achieve these days due to a crook right leg, a legacy of being a paraplegic about 30 years ago.
Chris

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hey Veryrusty... Welcome to the best group of Chevy lovers in the world!

From The Chevrolet Chronicle, by the auto editors of Consumer Guides, comes these stats for production of '27/ '28 Chevrolets. I'm not sure if these stats include Non US produced cars. They also don't cover trucks and Bare Chassis.
For 1927...

Roadster 2 pass. 41 313
Touring 5 pass. 53 187
Coupe 2 pass. 124 101
Sport Cabriolet 41 137 (Fixed roof)
Coach 5 pass. 239 566
Sedan 5 pass. 99 400
Imp Lan 5 pass 37 426
Lan Sedan5 pass 42 410

Total 678 540

For 1928...

Roadster 2 pass 39 809
Touring 5 pass 26 937
Coupe 2 pass 150 356
Cabriolet 38 268
Coach 5 pass 346 976
Sedan 5 pass 127 819
Imp Lan 5 pass 54 998

Total 785 163

Last edited by brewster; 11/09/11 12:21 AM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Well blow me down, 28's in Vic are different to NSW.

Maybe the girlie ones went from Adelaide to NSW, and the ones with a bit of spirit were earmarked for Vic.

My 28 has never been on a trailer in 36 years unless it was the one or 2 times it broke down.

I am very happy to drive it on a major freeway, can do so in the left lane at 45 to 50mph, and I am not a moving road block.

I did 232 k's on Saturday, mostly on the Princess Highway, you know that one Chris, it runs around Australia. I am not a young bloke, well 58 may be young to you, and I have only been driving the same 28 for 36 years.

You say you have not had yours on a trailer, then you say 50% of you now trailer on the freeways. I am confused.

Wow, I know you guys call us in Victoria Mexicans, cause we are south of the border, but I never realized how close Mars is. Just over the Murray River I think.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by 1928isgreat; 11/09/11 12:30 AM.

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Ray
At a young 58 i'd say you need glasses, I got my very 1st set, reading only. today at 64.
If you put your glasses on you'd see I was refering to my 34 re never been on a trailer.
And as there have been 15 people killed driving on the freeway near me I've decided, especially with my crook right leg, to tow mine for long freeway driving, as most of the sensible Chev 4 owners now do. There were quite a few trailers come to the Chev 4 T.
To let you know I'm not a wimp, I've driven my Chev 4's for over 400 miles in one day, and as I mentioned in my post, drove my 34 from Melbourne to Sydney in one hop, of course I was a bit younger back then, probably about 58.
Chris

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000

Hi Chris,

I reckon you put your age up, you dont look a day over 63. It must be that cheeky grin behind the beard.

Truth be known your probably fitter than I am.

Now I do have glasses, which I will send up to you on loan for a while, as you said the following

However driving a Chev 4 on our freeways is a nightmare these days and about 50% of us now trailer our 4 cyl.s on the freeways.

I respect your judgement of safety, which is an individual thing, and I believe the roads are a lot more hectic in Sydney.
I am also reminded that the first time I met you, you had a rolling pin around your neck.

You obviously enjoy the old Chevs very much, its in your blood. As father time turns the clock against us all, would you ever consider going to a later model that you would feel more comfortable and safe in.

As they say "Its not the thrill of the catch, but the thrill of the chase"

Make sure you send my glasses back when your finished.Too hard to work on these old cars without them.

Cheers

Ray

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Evening to you Gentlemen,

I am seeing a lot of passion here, I just hope there is no politics behind the scenes, have had enough of that sort of rubbish.Even I like a bit of banter from time to time but as a youngun me dad always told me if you got something on your mind spit it out.Now lets talk about cars. If I was looking for a roughie 28 to fully restore, not scared of a bit of work, what would you fellows reckon I would have to spend in NSW to get one. If I wanted a runner that I could patch up a bit and drive, what would you reckon, and the same again for a fully restored car.Thinking about the four door soft top what ever you call them.Dont wanna get ripped off, but happy to pay good money for a good car.

Thanks fellas, signing off now.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Two replies in one
Ray, I definately will not be buying a late model Chev. 1934 is as late as I want. If I want to go faster I'll drive my wife's 5.7 litre Caprice or my VH Commodore race car or my daughters 6 litre Calais, her husbands HDT Brock 500hp 5.6 litre stroker, or my son's 62 Belair 500 hp Chev. And I forgot, my own modified Statesman.

Very rusty
I wouldn't recommend starting a new restoration, it would cost you double what it's worth when finished, and not sure how old you are, but for me time is far to short.
You can get a 28 tourer from $10k and $15-16k would be top of the price range. There was a very nice 28 coupe on eBay US a week ago, it could be landed in Sydney for around $12k and would be worth a lot more out here as I'm not aware of any in Aus.
Chris

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Chris,

I like you selection of the older Chevs. My favourite years are 28 and 32 to 34. Some how I cant imagine you thumping down the road in a big V8, but then you can never tell.

What are we to do as we both get a bit older?

Would you trailer the car more or be more selective as to where you went?

Cheers

Ray

PS. Have you got any idea who bought that unrestored rare model 27 on Ebay a few weeks ago for over $12,000

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Howdy Chris,

Thanks for the information. I am not new to a full restos, have done a few in my time, and I am in my early 60's. My feelings are for an Aussie car, Aussie right hand drive etc. What ever I do I want to drive down the road knowing this car is running because of me. Everything done on the old banger done by me. She would run good only because of my blood sweat and tears. Dont want to muck around with an import, if its a Chev, give me a Holden body, if its a Ford, make it a Geelong one. Money is not the main issue, its the pride of having done everything. Still seeing whats around the country if not in NSW. Look at that young bloke down in Gippsland with his Monty, I read his blog every few days, and actually feel a bit jealous. Thats the sort of car I want to build. Would you know of any characters like that in Sydney. My time is my own I have the cash, I have good health, and more important I have the motivation. All I have to do now is find a car.

Thats enough for now, signing out.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Veryrusty52,

You will have your work cut out, still a couple here and there, but they are getting scarce. Good luck in your search. By the way you would probably like Grant, not a bad guy for a Victorian.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by 1928isgreat; 11/10/11 02:13 AM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
veryrusty,

Pity you are not 2700 km closer to Cairns! They are still out there. I have a 28 which will never be restored by me because I will have run out of time by the time I finish the 26 and get the 27 back on the road at the present rate of progress. It's been in a dry, weather proof shed for the 25 or so years I have owned it, and the previous owner told me he had owned it for several years, also storing it in a dry weatherproof shed. All he did to it was to remove the body, and all I have done is rebuild the wheels. It appears to be all there and would be a good candidate for a full restoration - however it certainly would not be a proposition to send it to Sydney.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Frank.

Last edited by franco; 11/10/11 10:11 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Does that mean I'm not very sensible person,because I have no means of towing my vehicle to attend any long distance rallies??.

bana2

CJP'S 29
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good day to you Frank,

I suppose a direct question is a good question. Putting transport to one side, what would you be asking for your 28, and could you post a few photos.

Cheers for now

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hey CPJ'S 29

To the contrary my friend. You may well be the most sensible one of the lot of us.

You know that where ever your Chev goes it under its own steam, and not to mention that you enjoy a vehicle that is alergic to trailers.

More power to the man who knows his abilities and limitations.

parking yipp auto carbana carrot

Cheers

Ray

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I know opf a fully restored 28 tourer for sale in Brisbane and a 28 which I heard about at a club meeting which needs to be restored in Bundaberg. If you are interested send me a p.m. and I can put you in touch.

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.