Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#221631 10/14/11 02:27 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I had posted a while ago that when performing a Compression test on my 31 I found severe rust on both rear cylinder spark plugs. I haven't run this car since purchasing it Nov. 2010. Previous owner started it to pull onto trailer for me. RPM was racing and he explained the Carb. was at issue. I didn't hear any knocks so I was satisfied any other issue I'd just face and conquer. I just pulled the Head and to my surprise found a good looking set of cylinders and the Valves even look OK. I'm going to soak the Pistons and Cylinder Walls with Marvel Mystery Oil just incase the Rings are stuck tight. I intend to pour fluid into the Ports to check the Valve Seats. I need suggestions as to what fluid to use? Also, any other thoughts are welcomed. Thanks, Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Checked the Head with water. Guides leaking and 9 out of twelve valves too. Luckily I have access to an experienced automotive machinist who will evaluate the Head and advise me. I'm happy as there is very little ridge on the cylinder walls and they are smooth with no gouges etc.. Comments are welcome! Al W.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
good morning-as your'e this far along I'm sure you are aware of frequency of cracked heads on these things so magnafluxing is a must and boiling to clean passages is good idea-if water pump baffle is in good shape I've been warned to leave it alone-best of luck-ps. I've made jig for resurfacing rockers if need be and would be happy to help-would be great sign if they are in good shape

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi Lexey, Thanks for the information. The Head is currently at an excellent machinists shop. We discussed the Head when I dropped it off. It will be taken apart, cleaned, Magnafluxed, and examined for cracks and how to refurbish will be determined. Do these Heads have removable Guides? I know we use Umbrella Seals on modern engines but are they advisable on these older type. The Water Pump Baffle is new to me. When I go out to the garage I'll check on it. The Rocker Arms look perfect thank goodness. I'm soaking the Pistons with MMO while the Block is open, thinking I may be freeing up tight, (from Carbon), Rings.
Thanks for your interest and stay well! Al

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
my head had numerous valve jobs and guides were fine-seals were not recomended and I feel rockers being in good shape is key to a low mileage head-you lucky devil

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I'll be updating this posting as time goes bye. Al

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.