Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I saw a photo of a high cab pickup that had black fenders
and roof with a colored body and bed. My grandfather's
'37 (low cab, of course) was all red, including roof, except for black fenders/running boards.
I have in the past seen several '34-'36 high cabs (was high bidder on a '33 that didn't meet reserve), think that was the only '33 I have seen, but it and all others have been single color or some body color and just black fenders. Is a black painted roof legit for these pickups (as you'd buy one out of the showroom in their era?) (except commercial painting)

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Most trucks of that era had black cab tops. Because they were commercial vehicles special paint was an option either from the factory or dealer.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I can not speak for the '36 High Cab, but the '34 and '35 definately have black roofs, sun visor (part of the roof), and windshield frame. Chip is right when he mentions that commercial jobs could have been painted to match a customers color scheme. The '36 high cab probably had a black roof like the earlier DB and EB as it is the same technology from a design standpoint, the roof is the same. The later '36 low cab was an all steel cab and the roof does not appear to be a separate piece. Likely this low cab roof matched the cab body colors but the '36 guy's have to confirm this.
My reference is a Jim Payne painting guide and a very old Floyd Clymer book on Chevy Trucks written by Doug Bell.

Chris
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 36 High cab and all information that I have found indicates that the cab,hood,and grill was one color and the only other was the black fenders and running boards. But I suspose that you could order what you wanted?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.