Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gege Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dear all,

I just arrived on your forum and was impressed by all the posts !

I'm from Switzerland and have a Chevrolet truck but unfortunately very few information about it. It's beeing fully restored, and it would be nice to know more about it.

Here are the information I have :
MCA :CHEVROLET
MLA : M-24.168
MTOR : 3.378.663
BDOR : 2.A.A.-12.356

This information is on a metal plate from "pompas funebres SA" in Madrid/Spain who owned the car in the past.

Is it possible to know the "birthdate" of this truck, pictures if someone here have the same, etc... I will appreciate your help !

For now I have only this picture :
[Linked Image from moinat.net]

Thanks in advance !

Gerard

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
MCA :CHEVROLET
MLA : M-24.168
MTOR : 3.378.663
BDOR : 2.A.A.-12.356

I think that you will find that it is a 1/2-ton 1927 Model Chevrolet National Series AA, the chassis being supplied through General Motors Export Company in Madrid. The chassis number would be 2 for Tarrytown, New York, then AA, then 12356 as the sequential number. The engine number 3378663 is appropriate for a 1927 AA. I can imagine that Pompas Funebres SA were a Spanish fire-fighting equipment company.

If the engins is still there thenh the casting date code wil tell you when the engine block was cast, then add two weeks for Tarrytown to instal it in the chassis, then add a few more weeks to be shipped from New York to Espana.

Last edited by Oracle; 09/08/11 01:49 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Very cool truck and welcome to the site!

I notice two things in your picture:

1. The wheels have 6 rim keepers each. The 1 ton trucks had the heavy duty wheels (with the 6 keepers), whereas the 1/2 ton truck had lighter duty wheels (with only 4 rim keepers). So, your truck might be a 1 ton truck. The wheelbase will help identify.

2. I can see through the plastic that the engine has a 2 exhaust-port head. This means that at least the head is from 1928. Here in the US, many earlier engines were replaced with the '28 engines.

Great project!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Gege Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks A LOT for these two first very useful information !!

We also think that the engine has been changed. I will checked this afternoon, but I think that the number on the engine is 5.315.663. Does it correspond to what you said (1928) ?

I will scan and put together more picture and put them on this message.

"pompas funebres" is more a funeral company as a fire fighting.

Chevrolet Truck 1927 1-ton LM beeing identified !
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The 1 ton truck wheel base is 124",uses 20" rims & tyres(with the 6 rim lugs)and has 13 leaves in the rear springs,8 leaves in the front springs.If it's a 1927 Capitol LM series truck,the gearbox will be a 3 speed,and rear wheel brakes only.
If it is an early 1928 Capitol LO series 1 ton truck,the wheel base,springs etc. are the same as the '27 LM truck.The standard gearbox in an LO truck was a 3 speed,with the option of a 4 speed gearbox,and the engine was practicaly the same as a 1928,except for the use of cast iron pistons(originally).

chevy

CJP'S 29
Gege Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I confirm that the truck has only rear breaks and 3 gear-box.

Another detail : the doors are opening from the front to the back (reversed from standard doors). I saw a lot of pictures of Chevrolet truck from 1925-1929 but no one with these doors. Is it a useful information to identify it, or has it been changed ?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The rear wheel brakes & 3 speed gearbox may point to your truck being a 1927 Capitol LM 1 ton,but this combination was also used on the early 1928 Capitol LO series 1 ton trucks as well.
The doors being hinged at the rear,and opening at the front(we call them suicide doors in Australia),may have been a preference of what the original owners wanted their body builders to supply.Still makes your truck a very nice looking unit.

chevy

CJP'S 29
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Can you check that number please on the stamped pad on the engine? The highest 4-cylinder engine number was 5,069,697.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Your vehicle seems to have been built as or at least used as a hearse (funeral car). The doors opening from the front (suicide doors) is all part of vehicles that are used in ceremony as these doors allow a more dignified entry and exit. Vehicles like Royal Vehicles usually had that system. A lot of other vehicles like my grandfather's Rover had it too. You just had to make sure that the door was properly shut. It would look great painted black.

Gege Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank to you all for your precious information. Here are some new pictures incl. one with the engine code:

Maybe this will help !

If someone here has the same truck, I would be very interested in picture of the engine part. We have a problem with the height of the radiator to have the "leaves-doors" over the engine adjusted with the cabine.

PS : Sorry for the mistakes, english is not my mother language !

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I can tell you this: the spark plug wires should not go over the valve rocker cover, they should go thru the center of the valve cover , through the rectangular hole from right side to the left side. However with the longer sparkplug wires I suppose it works ok, like it is.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
the engine block is a 27 but the head is a 28 some have said the blocks are the same but I have both a 28 and 27 and there is some differances. My 28 is a truck engine and the 27 is a car engine.The spark plug wires go over the top with the 27 head under the rocker cover with the 28 head. Great lookin truck.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I looks to be a '27 engine block with '28 head. First there is no indication of a hole in the front of the casting where the crankcase vent tube would be on a '28 block. No ledge on the front, rear and bottom of the side of the block for the side covers used on '28. My information is that the engine numbers for '27 began with 2875045 on trucks so the 3378663 would be in the '27 engine number range.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
It appears from all those photos that your truck is 1928 Model LO
Can you post a picture of your headlight? as this might confirm it.
Chris

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Your engine is definitely a '27,and there appears to be the very faint mark of the letter "T"? preceding the engine number,indicating that it is a genuine truck block.Itis also a late 1927 engine,as it has the Delco-Remy 635-B semi-automatic distributor fitted to it,though the advance/retard linkage is missing.Perhaps one of our U.S. mates could put up some pictures of the LHD linkages for you.
Also,the front view shows that a front axle & stub axles from a 1928 Chev have been fitted,as the hole for the front brake actuating arm pin is visible on both sides of the axle,as are the front brake backing plate mounting bolt holes.

chevy

CJP'S 29
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Gerard, on the left side of the 27 blocks there is a date code one letter and three numbers the letter is the month the next two are the day and the last would be a 7 for 27 year. Your engine number is lower than the number on the origonal engine in my car and my car was bought in june of 1927 the 27 engine I have to go back in it was made in july 27. The Origonal had a cracked block and has since disappered. If you need pics of the dist. advance linkage let me know I can tack pics of the 28 engine in the car the 27 is disassembled for rebuilding, the advance linkage is the same on both.
Good luck with your project, Doug

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The truck was sold as a Cowl and Chassis originally as it has the flip flop dash with the gauge holes that go through to the engine compartment. Another company supplied or built the truck body. Factory cabs had a firwall simillar to what the standard 27 cars had. Also on the block , it is a 27 and the head is a 28. If you note the flat area going down on the ends of the head. That is for the side covers on 28 engines to seal against and since 27 didn't use the side covers they didn't have those flat places. Neat truck for sure!

28 Chevy LO Capitol 1 ton, 28 National 2 dr coach, 71 Chevy Custom Camper 3/4 ton. Also 23 Oldsmobile Economy truck and a 24 Olds sport touring.
Gege Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I'm really impressed by all the information you can furnish, thanks a lot !

So if I try to do a summary :

a) The truck is a 1927 LM
b) The engine block is original ('27) but the head has been changed with a '28.
c) The spark plug wires : As the head is '28, they should go under the cover
d) I will try to send a picture of the head light, but I'm not sure that they are original, your opinion will be appreciated !
e) The front axles is from a '28 truck because of the holes for breaks. This is very interesting, because in Switzerland, we have to have frontbreaks to have standard number plates. Do you think we could add / find breaks fitting on this axle easily ?
f) advance/retard linkage : we have two controllers behind the steering wheels. I know that one was for advance/retard, I don't remember what the other was for. Do you have more info and pictures ?

g) with all these '28 elements, we can have doubts that the truck in really '27. But 1) I have an original plate from "Funeral company" with the right chassis and engine codes, 2) the truck seems to had accidents (marks of repairs on the chassis->new axle?) and a LOT of miles (according to many wear(usury?) and points where should only be a little)-> new head.

Dougs_27 and others, I would really appreciate if you can post a few pictures of your trucks with details of the engine, so we can go on or change what has been done wrong.

h) Another question about fuel income : before restauration, we had a little hand pump near the pedals (fixed on the dash board), the vacuum in the engine part. i could ask the "mechanicman" if there was a pump. I ordered a "new" vacuum on ebay. What are the elements on an original truck between the tank and the carburator ?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Gege; 09/12/11 06:50 AM.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Gerard, send me a pm with your e-mail and I will send you some pics of the linkagefor the dist. advance. The valve cover you have needs the wires going over the top the 28 went under the valve cover my 27 valve cover is different than yours but mine is out of a sedan the 28 I have is a Truck engine in a 27 sedan.
Doug

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Gerard, very nice truck and I am glad to see that you are working to restore/fix it up. I understand what you are facing and identify with all of your questions. I bought a 1926 1/2 ton pickup according to my title that (thanks to the "detectives" on this site) properly identified it as a 1928 1 ton, Capital, series, LO! I now call it my '26 plus 2. If your truck CAN be identified, the folks on this site will do it... and all from some pictures! Geez!

All of you still amaze me with your skills, knowledge and factual information for us newbie info hungry neophytes!

best,
Jerry

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hey Jerry,

Are you cussing again

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hell no Ray!

This is by far the best old car site going. We (I'm a member) have the most patient, most knowledgeable, and most helpful group of peole I've ever seen. Slap yourselves on the back cause you deserve it...and thank y'all for the help you've given to me.
Jerry

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Morning Jerry,

Well its morning in Melbourne any way. Glad to see Sadie, sorry, you have joined the movement. I am sure that any questions Sadie, sorry, you have will be covered in detail.

Any developments on the painting front.

Cheers

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

[bleeped] Ray you bet me to it, I was about to ask Jerry the same thing, ya got that tray hanging from the rafters yet and the chassis all rubbed back??, don't go dragg'in ya feet on us mate.

Have a great day jerry and remember its all about the small steps......

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
G'day Ray, Grant, and our new fella Gerald (and all the rest). Ray and Grant already know this but most of you do not. I've decided to have the heavy-hands ride (Ray would say Sadie's mobile), painted. It is exactly as it was when I bought it about one year ago. I am also STILL trying to buy the white oak from someone in a neighboring town so that I can replace the bed. Anyway, I kind of got sticker shock when I had someone give me an estimate to do some minor body work and paint the old gal. Long story short, I haven't engaged anyone yet to do the job and if everyone else is that expensive then I may just be driving the old gal as is for a long time yet! It was probably a good deal but I am not a rich man and cannot justify spending that much money to make her all shiny and pretty (yet). IF I were retired I know what I would do...I'd take a class and do the work myself like Grant is doing.

BTW, Sadie is my bull dog. Sadie has taken on a new personality and has become larger than life since I've known Ray. HE has given her that larger than life distinction (and she loves it). Rock on Ray, one day you will be almost as famous as Sadie my friend!

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.