Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Got up this morning and like usual, I checked out the threads before going to work and read Dawgs reply. I thought, "What did Charlile say this time." Then I went back and read Charlie's post which I just passed up the last time I was on. I have to agree with the Dawg because we could be turning new members off or losing old ones with posts like that. All members should be allowed to make comments pro & con and a little joshing along the way but which is not insulting or degrading. I myself like the new G&D because I'm am a picture person myself and don't do alot of reading. I'll leave the magizine up to the editor and art director and and if I think there's some thing that might improve it I'll mention it as I hope other people do to. I also liked the former G&D.
Cheers everyone. rockband

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
JD, P.K., Jerry, the G&D editorial staff, and to all whom this may concern:

Although my earlier comments were meant a just kidding, I can, on hindsight, see that they were much too familiar in part and too overreaching altogether.

Accordingly, I regret those parts that could be interpreted for anything more than an attempt at humor and the overall negative tone of the whole post.

As to Mr. Phillips, the baby, and Ed of the editorial section. My apologies.

As to the 1961 Chevrolet the articles were actually excellent. As is the new G&D. You're on the right track.

You all know how I am an fanatic in my advocacy for the 1941 so there is nothing new there. My enthusiasm for that year is somewhat stroked because I know that others can't stand my going on about all the time. When I do, I'm just messing with you.

I expect that P.K. will jump on my necessity for having to apologize for senseless uttering, yet again. Let it be so. I'm shamed and ready for it. Yep. Moping already?. Sure am. Foot in mouth? Trying to get it out now. No luck yet.

As Greencorn told me, maybe we all need to lighten up some. Don't know but it seems that I get scrutinized more than anyone else. Well, so be it.

Anyway, P.K., JD, and Jerry, thanks for keeping me straight and calling me down when I need it. I do appreciate it. Do too! And, I sure don't want to be the reason anyone would want to go Ford. hood
Best,
Charlie computer

BTW: Mr. Phillips does NOT look like he's reaching for a banjo, as may have been interpreted by my comment. He and Mr. Zagorac are both handsome. Ms. Livingston is beautiful. The baby is adorable. Are too!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Charlie - 1941 was a good year to be born, but not for good looking Chevys.
Everyone knows the 1933 was the best looking Chevy ever made. dance

As for the big font in the G&D, these nearly 70 year old eyes welcome it.

Roger

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I totally agree. The 1933 was a great looking car. Much better than the 1941.
Charlie computer

BTW: Anybody got an aspirin?

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Am I missing something, can't Charlie have his say?

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I would have to say that in my opinion the '34 is a little more stylish but '33 is a close second; the most beautiful chevies ever built, bar none.

ron
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
GC,
Well, the 34 is a mighty fine looking car too. I think the reason I like the 33 a smidgin better is because of the lovered doors on the hood sides. dance

Brewster recently put up a video that showed a 34 coupe (I believe) it was beautiful. beermugs
Charlie computer

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 08/08/11 05:15 PM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
My August G&D arrived yesterday (nearly the earliest here) but I havent had a chance to take it out of the plastic yet. It seems a little thinner but that maybe due to thinner paper (save the trees).
Tony

Last edited by tonyw; 08/11/11 08:17 AM. Reason: corrected month

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Thanks for your candid comments about the new G&D format. I'm sure that the Editor and the G&D committee are evaluating all of those. Realize, however that there is approximately a two-month delay between when you post and when the next available issue can be modified.

For example: The September issue has already been put to bed. So any suggestions or changes that occur, "might" be considered for the October issue.

Now - to show their appreciation, they have allowed me to give you AN ADVANCE PEEK of the next issue!!!!

<cue music> rockband

[Linked Image from vcca.org]

Note: The puzzle format is my teaser - not the actual final appearance. -bb

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
You old snake! Just lay in the grass and rattle at us a bit to get our attention. Works!

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Looks like another good one. bana2

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I really like the new look, although I didn't realize it was the G & D till I went searching for it. First thought it was an advertising catalog, lol.

BUT, there is at least one change so far that I don't like. So far I didn't see anyone mention it, but our Advertising Word Allowance just got cut in half!!

We used to get 100 Words Free and now it is only 50.

...I never did like going backwards.

Bill

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Why did this happen? It's not so much to make any money; rather, it is an effort to reduce the amount of space used up by the classifieds each month to a more manageable total size. Remember, a big part of being able to bring you this all new, colorful and revitalized G&D each month is the decision to firmly hold the G&D page count to 48 pages. Previously, the magazine routinely swelled to 56 pages (sometimes even 64), which dramatically increased the cost to produce and mail it. By holding the line at 48 pages, we have been able to keep the costs down to cover the cost of all the new and redesigned contents and color, a contributing editor, and a professional designer, so that the club can afford to bring all this to us without any cost increases. Most of us manage to compose a more brief ad when there is a word limit, and exclude some of the maybe "extra" words that we otherwise include if there is a higher word count allowed.

Don W - Prez

Chevy Guru
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have an idea; Why not just have ONE single picture of an old Chevy and pay ONE managing editor of this mag all the money "we" are spending on "designers" and multitude staff? Readers want MORE CONTENT, not less. If cost is a factor raise the dues a buck, no one would have a problem with that. WHO needs or wants a "professional designer" or a paid "contributing editor".......? Just how much paid advertising is lost now that the ads are being replaced by this all new, "colorful" format showcasing pictures rather than subject matter?

ron
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I share 62BillT's sentiments:

We used to get 100 Words Free and now it is only 50.

...I never did like going backwards.

The classifieds are my favorite part of the G&D! With the new online copy of the G&D available I would be in favor of having an option of receiveing the G&D as either a Word Document or an Adobe PDF file by email, at a reduced price, or at the same price and have more revenue for other VCCA projects.

BTW, I haven't received the August 2011 edition yet....

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The VCCA gods have smiled upon me this month (I rarely see it in less than a month late). My August G&D has arrived and half read before MrMack gets to see the cover.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
So does this mean that once the 48 page limit is reached, the classifieds will be the first thing cut and there is no guarantee that your ad will be printed.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
No, that would never happen. Text elsewhere is tightened, margins tightened, other things reduced, etc. Classifieds are never cut, nor is paid commercial advertising.

Since my earlier comments were rather radically misinterpreted, I am reluctant to say much. Of course, our overall paid commercial advertising is already UP signifcantly; our advertisers are delighted wtih the fresh new look, better design, etc - all brought to us at NO increase in cost, just increase in talent and efficiency.

Chevy Guru
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi all,

Don did a great job of explaining the general thoughts. This change was very significant and the G&D Committee and the BOD spent lots of time discussing the pros and cons of each of the decisions made. There were a lot of very hard choices made in order to achieve the goal of producing a higher quality modern looking monthly publication without the need to increase membership dues. Classified space was one of those areas that "chipped in" for the greater good so to speak.

It is my hope that you all will give it till the end of this year to allow the new team to work out the bugs and see how the next few issues look before you come to any hard conclusions.

In the meantime, I believe many members of the G&D Committee as well as the BOD is interested in your thoughts. I am just saying try to keep an open mind, as this was a big step for the club and some of the choices were complicated due to all of the complexities related to the publishing world -- which I have come to realize is a very complex place! ;-)

These thoughts are my own and not meant to reflect a formal representation of the G&D Committee or the BOD.

I am looking forward to the next few issues.

Jim Karras, #43031
Orange, CA
‘54 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-Door Sedan
'59 Chevrolet Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
'64 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport
‘10 Chevrolet Impala LS
‘15 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
E-mail: JimKarras@aol.com
Web: https://www.59apache.com/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
"call for more details" takes up four words... so you've got 46 words to impress me. If i'm not impressed by 46 words into your book, then either I'm not interested, or you're a 'dealer', and should be paying a premium. I think it's a small sacrifice (for the 10-20 people that ran the adds over that number a month) to make for the better of 8000+ members. Certainly the new look and photography is worth the cost if the advertisors that pay are happier. Remember, we are non-profit, so if more money is being made with the mag at the same cost as before, we get to see it back some other place, like events, plaques, website costs, etc...etc...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Just curious; How much are our new "contributing editor" and "professional designer" paid? I'd like to see the breakdown on the costs for publishing the magazine.

ron
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Good luck on that one ! Makes you think when you keep getting ( LESS ) for your money.... wow

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I read somewhere (G&D) in a national meeting minutes that the contract in the past was just renewed to the previous editors every year, and never shopped. This time it was shopped, and 3 offers were tendered, with resumes. The contact went out to our new editors for LESS money, and advertising income is going up! It sounds win/win to me, and I'm surprised there's this many bad opinions about it after only one issue! The beautiful thing about tendering contracts is that it builds competition for our business. If you feel there's something that should be fixed or changed, let Dan and his team of editors know, and maybe next contract that can be looked at. As for the other editors, they've had a great run, and set down a great base for our magazine. Like all great democracies they will have their chance to earn our business back, if they choose to build on the improvements this editor makes. The other thing to realize is that it is YOUR MAGAZINE!!! If you want more content, SEND IT IN!! Our editors are looking for content, it comes from us. The worst kind of people are the ones that take the time to complain about it on the internet, instead of taking the time to fix it by sending something in!

Last edited by brewster; 08/21/11 06:03 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Think of it this way Brewster. If I send in several articles to increase the content, of what benefit is this to me? I surely have already read the articles, that I have written. What I want and seem to need is some, NEWS! devil

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 25,000
Does any one understand the above reply?

Gene Schneider
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.