Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#214127 07/23/11 12:43 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 25,000
The new version of the G&D arrived today. It is very different and very professional looking. All in living color ..... hope evryone aproves of the new look.

Gene Schneider
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I got back from Flint 3 hrs ago... and just got my July G&D! Postal strike is over, so hopefully the new one arrives soon!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Gene

I raised a big ruckus about last change some time ago, but have to admit that this change is as you put it "Professional and in living colour" is done very nicely. The next few issues will tell the entire story of the full or partial acceptance.

Jim.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with Chev Nut. And will add the new format is really amazing. It looks more like a publication I'd expect to find at the local newstand. I liked the articles, the layout and sidebars that provided additional info, for example the 1961 Trivia, the centerfold (sorry guys that have not yet seen it; no girly pics) and great photo resolution.
Great job!!!!!

Last edited by 37Blue; 07/26/11 05:54 PM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I just received my "new" G&D in the mail today as well and I also agree with Gene. The color is great and I love the centerfold.....even though it isn't a girlie centerfold it is still great! The magazine is very impressive.

By the way, the Junkyard Dogs will be coming back in the September issue in a new series..."The Best of The Junkyard Dogs". In the first episode, see how the Junkyard Dogs got started with their very first adventure 24 years ago!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I am very impressed with the new format.The pictures are great.A job well done to all involved !

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
JYD
I thought you were about to announce another tour. I was starting to plan my next trip north. Instead I will have to settle for the next best thing.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I agree, and will add that it is the best G&D in a decade. Congrats to all involved with the total restoration!

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Mine arrived today.Wow! The new format is great plus featuring my favorite Impala year.

Don Birdsong
Mechanicsville,Va
VCCA # 45560
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I don't like it; too flashy, I thought it was an unsolicited catalog and almost threw it away. What was wrong with the old G&D?

ron
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
i like it very much
plus the fact it had a 61 chevy on the cover. my first car. wish i still had it.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
greencorn asks what was wrong with the old G&D.

Nothing was what might be called "wrong" with the 'old' G&D. But it was in need of some updates, better look, more attractive and so on. Let's face it, all things change over time. Sometimes in little steps. Sometimes in big steps. This was a big step.

Most folks think it's GREAT!!! Me too!!!
auto yipp

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with 42Bill {btw that is not his age bigl}

The former G&D was a good publication. The people involved were/are dedicated, interesting and provided many years of enjoyment and information. They are also appreciated and respected by many members,including me. And I liked the fact that they were/are VCCA members.

But at times, like in today's marketplace, it's reasonable to make calculated and necessary changes. Often the simple goal of improvement brings new or added value. I believe the new G&D does this.

I look forward to more---more pages, more stories, more features, members bio's, industry news, Chevy news, articles by current or former Chevy/GM people, museum coverage, auction coverage, "how-to" articles, national & local advertisement's, regional news and visuals, etc. Maybe a member of the month and articles on judged car's. The list is endless. So maybe the visuals changes are just a start, hopefully.

My review on the new G&D is from a marketing position. As much as I like the new visuals and formats, I would like to have seen "VCCA" played-up on the cover, {size, color, font, position} and play down G&D {size, color, font, position}.
I say this because VCCA is the clubs Brand, not G&D.

Also as nice as the new G&D image is, it does not seem to balance well with the clubs old logo. That's my 2 cents.

Enjoy the ride,
Michale41

Last edited by mike41; 08/02/11 01:22 PM.
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]
Maybe we will get a copy one of these days.....so that we can comment on it's curb appeal.
I hope it is as neat as our banner at the top of the forum!
I hope that they realize that it is a communications device in a captive audiance that will please it's market...Those of us that are VCCA dues paying members. And it won't make it's appeal on the racks of Hastings and Barnes & Nobles...Remember Chevrolet owners are often looking for basic inexpensive quality products.... parking beer2 patriot carbana beermugs popcorn [Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Question, I know I'm overlooking it, but can anyone tell me the page/section/article in the NEW G&D regarding "how to join the club". Like costs, registration, etc ? crazy

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael41

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The problem I see is that the font used seems to be less "readable" in many cases. It is particularly noticeable in the Classified section with the LARGE BOLD headings and smaller thin type in the body. It takes a bit more time to read the ads.

I agree with Mike, the cover "sells the G&D" and not the VCCA. A big mistake in my view.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Oops!! I stand corrected. imsorry

I went to VCCA.ORG, membership page and found a NEW VCCA logo.
At least I think it's new {?}. But it's the first time I saw it.

That makes about 6 versions of VCCA's logo migrating around the web site, G&D, Region shows, events, flyer's, stationary, biz cards, marketplace, etc. But maybe the one I saw on the membership page is THE new one {???}

Enjoy the ride,
Michael41

Last edited by mike41; 08/02/11 03:03 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I haven't received my new copy yet, so I'll reserve judgement until my mailman's done reading it! Just to make a point or two about the cover though...

1. I agree that the club logo is not prominent enough.
2. I think the cover has always been a spot of honour and pride for our membership to have it's cars featured on. I'm certainly not criticizing the photography, as I have albums full of views like that... but that could be anyone's Impala, as it shows only part of the fender. Perhaps the editor could post some pictures of the style of photography he's looking for use on the cover... something that fits the new look, but still shows angles of a car that shows a members whole car.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I like the redesign overall. Wasn't that overwhelmed by the cover, but I do agree with the comments regarding the VCCA vs. G&D logo. That's a very valid criticism and should be considered.I did notice the Victoria in the background. I'll bet that's a first on the G&D cover. I think the most benefit is realized in the content improvement. Frankly, the old G&D needed some editing. And some of the ongoing features in the old G&D keep me asking, "What does this have to do with anything?" It's been a long time since I read every article in G&D and this month I did. I do appreciate the work the former editors did. They served VCCA well. I'm excited about the new and hope to continue to see them tweaking and improving it.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I don't believe the small picture of a piece of a Victorai is any worse than a complete cover of a custom built Chevrolet or a Hot Rod and we have had both in the past.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ok! Just got mine and finished leafing through it the first time. A beautiful job... and really not as many BIG changes as I thought there was going to be! You can really see that it is just another evolution of what the Fink's have done for years... and that's a good thing! A couple positives I wanted to point out...

1: I like the font in the classifieds... seeing the part/service listed in bold really makes it easy to find what you're looking for without having to read everything!

2: The "OK used car" sign at the top of the used cars section is something we should have been using years ago! Brilliant! I hope I'm not the first to suggest that we also need a "We use Genuine Chevrolet Parts" sign for the parts section, and a "Super Chevrolet Service" over the Services Offered Section...

3: Listing the new members by order of Country/State is way better than listing by membership number... makes it easy to find the new members in your area.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Got mine last Thursday. It sure has changed. I almost tossed both it AND my lunch. I decided to put it aside and give myself time to adjust to the new larger print, and other things that bothered me on first brush through.

a. There is no Chevrolet propeller chevy on the cover. There should always be. parking

b. The print is too big. All of it. I guess someone discovered the font key and wouldn't let up until it had automatically run way up. I suspect it might have been that adorably cute baby. luv2

c. The Vickie should have been cropped out on the back cover. Somebody wasn't paying attention. Is there a "Frod" fox in the henhouse? idea

d. After reading through the articles, I've seen enough and read enough about 1961 to last me a lifetime. (Well, maybe.) spam

e. What was the picture of the Coker Tire collection doing in there? wavey

f. I think the magazine should have featured the 1941 Chevrolet instead of the 1961. Why jump to the middle year? Everybody appreciates the beauty and engineering of a 41. It is the epitome of excellence and should have rightly been featured first. Only 1 in a zillion like a 61. What committee chose that year? I suspect something underhanded was a-going on. I'm calling for an investigation so the guilty party can be exposed. Yep! Am too. beermugs

All kidding aside, I guess I was used to the previous production. This new design will undoubtedly grow on me. I hope so. ok

Suggestions:

Change the logo. It looks awful. greenman

Don't make the cover pictures so bold and close looking. Did the baby pick them out? On second thought, maybe the baby would have made a better selection. Go figure.

Make sure you don't feature the 1951 hood when it comes time for it. Drop one year, as the millennium folks wrongly do, and feature the 1950 luv2 instead. Much better. Is too!

Do not picture Pete Phillips unless he gets a decent haircut (see Ed Zagorac. Nice.) If he doesn't comply, just show more pics of the baby. Yeah!

Take up a collection and order a cap from Mike Welch so that Pete can look like one of the guys (with his new haircut) instead of a Eastern Tennessean on his first trip to Nashville. Where's the banjo? rockband

You're welcome,
Charlie computer

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 08/07/11 08:29 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie... the font is big so that you old dudes can read it! Put it down and come back to it when your eyes start acting their age! cool You gotta admit... it did make it easier to read the classifieds, right? Oh... and I think we should skip the '41's and go right to a '50-'51 combo special issue!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
It's a good thing that Charlie isn't the new editor of the G&D. Each month the magazine would most likely consist of editorials about 1941 Chevrolets based on his strict point of view instead of interesting articles on all years of Chevrolets for all VCCA members to enjoy. After a few months of that type of continuous redundancy, and with some criticisms of the facial features of various VCCA members thrown in, I wonder how long it would take for many Chevy dudes to drop the VCCA and join the Ford club instead?

Having constructive criticism about the new G&D is one thing (and it is probably welcomed by the new G&D staff as well), but to get personal for the sake of sarcastic wit is another matter and most likely his remarks will not be appreciated by the G&D staff, the G&D committee or the past G&D editors who did such a marvelous job on the G&D for 27 years.

As a side note, the fellows that own 1961 Chevrolets probably enjoyed this issue of the G&D, and if there is a treatment on the 1951 model year in a future issue, the VCCA members that own '51 Chevrolets will no doubt love to see that issue also.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Dog ! Now your going to send charlie off on one of his ( stick foot in mouth ) pouting sessions. Sham on you Dog....
togo

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.