Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#214484 07/27/11 09:03 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Does anyone know how to test a condenser unsing a multimeter?
The old method once used a coil/condenser tester that actually charged the condenser. Those instruments are hard to find.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I know that you didn't ask this but, condensers can test OK on a tester , but can break down In use. It Is wise to just replace them.
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Go to the highest ohm scale on an analog multimeter touch the positive lead to the wire on the condenser, and negative on the condenser case. (this will put a small voltage into the condenser) remove the test leads and reverse them (negative on wire, positive on case and if the condenser isn't shorted or open you will get a deflection kick on the needle of the multimeter, due to the stored electricity in the condensor. The kick may be small depending on the amount of voltage the multimeter uses in the high ohms position, like 0 - 100K ohms. My Simpson 260 has a 100K position and my Tripplett has a 250K position. Caution, never test an electric blasting cap with a multimeter! this small voltage could detonate an electric blasting cap

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.