Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210383 06/17/11 08:33 AM
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
[Linked Image from inlinethumb37.webshots.com]

Will these fit my 38 coupe orginal 16 rims? $700

Are the sharksteeth covers a GM accessory?

[Linked Image from inlinethumb46.webshots.com]

Last edited by wawuzit; 06/17/11 08:36 AM.
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Sorry...these fit a 41 chevy. blush

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by wawuzit
[Linked Image from inlinethumb37.webshots.com]

Will these fit my 38 coupe orginal 16 rims? $700

Are the sharksteeth covers a GM accessory?

[Linked Image from inlinethumb46.webshots.com]

Do those fit betwen the hub caps and beauty rings?

I think that with all that chrome on them, they should fit perfectly on your '38..... ;-)

Richard
Waverly, IA
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Actually the shark teeth are genuine 1940 accessories but, many '41 owners install them on their cars.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Is that because there '41's will look like a '40!! Huh, Charlie?? bigl rolllaugh yay luv2

Ken's 1940 Special Deluxe Sedan
1970 Cadillac Hearse
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
40 shark teeth came in red, and blue. had them both in nos original boxes. they're time consuming to repaint. take paper tape, and carefully, tape off the teeth. the red is like that on original hub caps as is the blue, (rarely seen). then bake them in a regular oven at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes or so, and voila' u got new looking painted shark teeth.
if a letter i heard of in existence, ever came to lite, it would shake judging to its core. i have been told by a very reputable source, that chevrolet knowing the war was coming even as early as late 1940, had notified dealers to sell off inventory. if it fit, put it on. sell it all, or it might have to go for scrap, as a lot of it did. if a judge gets technical, he can dock you for an incorrect accessory, as in the accessory information, from the little accessory booklet to the big accessory data book, shark teeth are not listed for a 1941 chevrolet. wheel discs and those only are the correct item to put on a 1941. to be technical with the current information openly on hand. i think they look great on a 40 chevy, but seem out of place on a 41. and yes, they fit under the hub cap, on the wheel, and usually have a beauty ring added to the outer edge of the wheel. a really pretty combination. as to the price. well, all i can say, the price is what someone who cannot live without them will be willing to pay for them. personally, i have been out of the market place for years, and some of these prices for stuff i see and hear about by e mail from other friends in this great club, usually make me reach for a extra blood pressure pill. if some of you guys knew how much i left behind, when i was ferriting out stuff in the early 70's, i believe some of you would have a necktie party in my honor. from early 30's accessories, to 50's accessories and engines in crates and on and on. and i did the looking on the old highways, and back lanes of thie great country before most of the interstates had hardly been started. hind sight is a wonderful thing, if you are not a dang mule trying to kick yourself, in the you know what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolololololol
wish i could be at flint. hope you all get there safe and have just a great time. if some of you newbies, are as lucky as i was at my first event in 1971, at indy, to meet the people i met back then, and are still friends with today, then wow are you all in for a great time. be safe.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Years ago Bob Wingate (I think it was) posted a picture of the shark teeth on a wheel and the 41 disc on the same or just like wheel. The shark teeth one was by far the best looking to me. dance And, still is. The pictures were in the G&D.

I have made a comment, many times repeated, that I wish they had carried over the shark teeth rims to 1941 instead of going with the discs with the mere ridges in them.

Richie, I have to differ with you on this item. Merely one of a very few that we don't see eye to eye on. I'll concede that both (disc and teeth) look good, though. Grin. beermugs

I don't even have a set of 41 discs. Bill Bosch (sp) used to make them. Anyone knows if they are still available or not. Thanks.
Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
charlie,
mentioning that convicted felons name in this thread around me, is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. he finally got caught for the crook he always was i guess got arrested, and got convicted in the 80's. what a fraud he was.
in any event, it was me that had side by side pics in an old g&d with the shark teeth on one wheel, and the correct wheel disc on the other wheel.
i never said that i didn't like the shark teeth my old pal, just that from a correctness standpoint, they belong technically on a 1940, not a 41, till someone ever publishes the letter i heard of, where dealers were directed to put it all on whatever if it fits on. till then, shark teeth on a 40, wheel disc on a 41 and by the way 42 also.
by the way you guys out there, charlie, is one of the funniest most loyal people i ever knew, and not only that, but this 4th of july, think of him, and his heroic service of a lifetime to this great country, and love him for that service in his life.
to be as funny as he is, and believe me he is, spontaneously that way, he never means any harm to anyone, and he is definetly not a stupid man. he is as sharp as any tack, and is appreciated. for the record, he started out in the army like anyone else, from infantry to flying helicopters, to being a co pilot on a c-47 flying the golden knight army jump team around. retired as a chief warrant officer to boot. i have known this man for 40 years, and their isn't a mean bone in his body. you all oughta make sure he makes it to flint, and when and if he does greet him accordingly. he is a true hero in my book.
richie

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Bigrichie or others!

There are several cars out west that have Sharks Teeth. And they do look nice.

I like another rim/trip item, but not sure what they are called... It's a "white" ring that attaches to the car's rim, Sort of taking the place of WWW. I was told they were made available during/after WWII. I was also told they might be called "spats" {?}. Contrary to the Sharks teeth I don't think I have seen any of these on a Chevy..

I think I have seen some for sale on ebay from time to time. Does any on know the name of these "rings"?

Enjoy the ride,
Michael41

Last edited by mike41; 06/19/11 08:17 PM.
mike41 #210633 06/19/11 08:33 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Usually called PORTA WALLS. They were a complete joke. If you mounted them, and that was no easy task, they would look great until you moved the car. At speed the air would get behind them and they would then look like bloomers.

I see them at swap meets occasionally, but nobody will buy them and they are usually already turning yellow.

Follow the advice of bigrichie on the sharks teeth. My understanding was 1940 only.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ray, I think he means a white painted stainless ring, not portawall white walls. I think they were a 46 accessory until white walls were readily available again.

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Last edited by brewster; 06/19/11 09:48 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I think you are correct. I am also familiar with those metal white walls. Have not seen any of those for a long time.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Yes, "Ray, I think he means a white painted stainless ring, not portawall white walls." That's what I'm talking about.

Not sure what you mean Ray, or your advice about Sharks Teeth {?}

Enjoy,
Michael41

mike41 #210692 06/20/11 10:43 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
mike,
the white wheel disc you referred to seem to have first appeared on 1942 chrysler's as a chrome savings for the war effort. they also seem prevalent on chrysler car after the war, along with no printing on the hub caps till the 48 models.
they are pictured in 70 years of chrysler history accordingly, by george dammann, a well put together book, almost as good as his 60 years of chevrolet history. in 1959 i found them at a local parts store in the bronx, and put them on a 47 de soto i had at the time. who said i was perfect!!!!!! lololololol
richie

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
ray,
as i remember them, porta walls were made of rubber and fit between the tire and the rim, giving the car a white wall tire look, but you are right they bunched up, or tore and flapped and flopped. they probably were a poor mans white wall tire, like retread tires too. and they no doubt screwed the balance of the wheel up miserably.
have fun at flint. be safe.
richie

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Brewster, great pics, and yes those are the items I was referring to....I had an old photo that showed them, but it's hiding some place.

bigrichie, thanks to you also.Great info.

Enjoy the ride,
Michael41

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.