Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208863 06/03/11 02:28 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 1938 Chevy 2Dr sedan's frame is very rusty and in need of so major repair. I found a "like new" croc haha 1939 coupé frame for sale and would like to know if it will work with my 38. Out of curiosity what are the differences if any?

Thanks

Rust never sleeps
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_41/41cp169.html

Look at the 38 frame vs other frames. illustrations show photos vs number

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, but Yikes stressed stressed I really don't know how to translate all those codes so I think I still need help idea

Rust never sleeps
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 39 now and have owned several 38's in the past. Don't have a 38 nearby for comparison, but from what I recall the 39 frame is very close to the 38 and should be a relatively easy fit. If your car and the donor are both straight axle models, the front cross members are the same, but they are much different between years for the Master Deluxe models. The 38 and 39 frame curves over the rear axle are the same so inner fender panels fit well. If the 39 is a business coupe (no rear jump seats) the gas tank is on top of the floor where the rear seat is in your sedan. You will need to re-use your 38 cross member in front of the tank to mount the tank. You might want to keep the coupe cross member for trading as it is only used on the coupe and sedan delivery. The other major frame difference is the style of the the rear mounts for the rear leaf springs with the 39 going through the frame, but I think the mounting holes can be patched fairly easily for use on the 38. There are other small differences such as mounting for the parking brake linkage and perhaps the steering box mounting, but I think all major frame dimensions and body mount locations are the same. Good luck.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That sounds like something I can do. They are both Masters with straight front axles so it looks like they will interchange with the modifications for the gas tank.

Thank you Headlighter ok

Doug

Rust never sleeps
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just bought the 39 frame and I am trying to find the cheapest shipper. I hope it works out. Thanks again for the help

Rust never sleeps

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.