Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I'll be applying paint to my 31 4 Dr in a reverse fashion. The
Body Moulding Stripe will be Medium Cream, which will be applied first. Then using 3M Fine line tape the lay out of the stripe will be done before applying the Black. I need to know how wide the cream stripe should be?

Combination #72 (Standard Coupe)
Hood - Serge Blue
Hood moulding - Black
Hood stripe - Cream Medium
Wire wheels - Cream Medium
Body upper - Black
Body lower - Serge Blue
Body mouldings - Black
Body moulding stripe - Cream Medium
Front pillar cover - Serge Blue
Instrument panel - Black
Instrument panel depression- Serge Blue
Sunshade panel - Black
Window offsets - Serge Blue

It was the standard color for 3 Window Coupes but also used on other bodies like Coach and Sedans. I had a '31 Coach with code 72 paint. It looked black in dim light but a deep blue in the sunlight.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Body Moulding Stripe will be Medium Cream, which will be applied first. Then using 3M Fine line tape the lay out of the stripe will be done before applying the Black.

Man...that's doing it the hard way.

At any rate, regarding the width of the stripe....get out your Filling Station catalog and look through it. In the catalog you will find available for purchase pin striping drawings. These drawings are for various models, including 1931. The drawing will not only give the layout location of the various pinstripes but the width as well. You will find the pin striping drawing extremely useful.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Dog, For me it's easier as I've never been able to master a Dagger brush. I have the layout, all I need is the width. I'm getting tired of throwing money at my car. The way things are going with Gas prices it's going to be a garage queen anyway! (lol) Al W.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
As per the Chevrolet Motor Co. "Paint Instruction Drawing" that I have the stripe should be 3/64 wide.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'm getting tired of throwing money at my car.

Man, I know exactly how that is! However, in the old car hobby that's pretty much how it works. With a quality restoration you usually have way more money in the car than you can sell it for. For this reason, many dudes purchase turn-key cars because you can usually purchase a finished vehicle (depending upon what it is of course) for less than you can restore the same vehicle.

And, even when the car is finished you are never done throwing money at it.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
As per a Chevrolet Motor Co. "Paint Instruction Drawing" the stripe should be 3/64 wide.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Al, the width is supposed to be 3/64", and there are 2 stripes, spaced 1/4" apart edge to edge, making the over width 22/64"! or about 1/3". I will likely be painting my Coach this year and the striping has caused be to reflect just how I might do it. Have checked out the striping tools available, and may go that route.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Ahh Grasshopper, the future is clearer as my wisdom grows! (Just Joking!). I was under the impression that there was only one stripe maybe 3/8 inch or so. As the Dog says, to do a double 3/64 using the reverse method would really be hard. So, I'm going to do the Black first, cover and fine line edge it, then spray the Serge. After a few hours I'll pull the fine line tape and clear coat the whole car. This car started out as a cute old car to take the Grandkids out for Ice Cream in. Slowly I turn, Closer and Closer to becoming a full blown restoration!

And, as someone on this board once warned me, "Be careful, old cars will find out where you live!". It's true, I've acquired another 31 4 Dr Deluxe with very sad eyes that are begging me to rescue her! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Al W.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Gunsmoke, I have a buddy with a Rolling Striping Tool that he claims to be very easy and successful with. I'll be checking it out.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 04/24/11 03:58 PM.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
An easy and economical way to do pin striping is to buy a special tape from: http://www.finessepinstriping.com. You apply the tape of the correct width and remove the top layer leaving a stencil for the pinstripe. Then you paint over it with a pinstriping brush and pinstriping or lettering paint. You pull off the bottom layer of the tape and you are done. It's easy and a lot cheaper than hiring an expert pin striper.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Al, you may need to know this as well. The '31 has 2 moldings, the upper one and lower one. As I understand the paint instructions, the upper molding is painted black as per top of car. The lower molding is also painted black. The space between the moldings is painted body color (Blue Serge in your case). Then stripes are applied, including a delicate curve up around rear side window of top pair of stripes to molding above doors etc. The V intersection at rear window is tricky as one stripe comes down side of window and turns to rear of car. I think this stripe came to a sharp point on lead edge.
Quite a bit of masking to just get the two-tone let alone worrying about the striping. As for it, I will check out the two stage striping tape mentioned by Arend as it sounds like a great product. The challenge with any striping is to not only get it straight, but to avoid raised/raggy edges, often a problem with taping jobs. Do the veterans on this site have better suggestions? Has anyone used professional stripers and are they costly if you can find a good one?

Last edited by Gunsmoke; 04/25/11 09:44 AM.
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Gunsmoke, Thank You for your detailed comments. Remarks are always welcome as we attempt to get our work "Period/As Manufactured" correct. I too will be checking out the striping tape and will post here on the results. I'll be using Base Coat/Clear Coat and would really like to do the stripe prior to adding the Clear. Here on Long Island a professional will be around $350 for a double stripe with the window detailing. Also, I've been a car guy for 52 years and still enjoy saying, "I did it myself" just like in the "OLD" days! lol
Also, a big THANK YOU to all who jump in to help as I bump along this old road. Al W.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Again, to avoid any confusion with the pin striping, you really need to purchase a pin striping drawing to that you can see the layout and location of the stripes, the dimensions and etc. Without the drawing you are just guessing.

Regarding a pinstriper, to me that is the only way to go. A good striper is a little expensive but the stripes look way better when applied by hand and the stripes have that "natural" look instead of having a squared off rough looking edge such tape will provide.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Dog you are absolutely correct! But, my "Ice Cream Cruiser" is intended to bring smiles and nothing more. I just ordered the striping Tape from the company here in NY. Nice guy and extremely helpful. (Pepe). I am nothing more than a shade tree guy and as reported earlier I'm trying to stop throwing money at this project. And chroming is very expensive. lol. Thanks as always for sharing your years/knowledge with all of us. That is what the hobby of old cars is to me. Al W.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Gunsmoke, Thanks again for your detailed input. I called and ordered Tape from Arens suggested vendor.Finessepinstriping.com. They also carry thier own brand fine line tape that is extremely less money than 3M. (My guess is there are less Lawyers involved). As for your question about raised edges from taping out lines the key is in color coverage that allows minimal material applied plus careful sanding after pulling tape prior to either buffing or clear coat. I'll be reporting on my success or failure with this technique. Al W.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you pull the tape before the paint is completely set the edge is leveled. It takes some confidence that you will not mess anything up. If you use One Shot paint it dries slowly so works the best for stripes.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks Chipper! Al W.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
ain't that the truth

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
jyd is correct-I bought paint drawing from FS and it shows width and location of all paint and striping-other than that you are as he says-guessing

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.