Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Greg_H Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Looking for any info on using the electric windshield wiper motor with the foot pump windshield washer. There is a cable on the vacuum motor to turn on the wipers when the foot pump is pressed. Trying to find any info on using the same washer with the electric wiper. I found an old factory bulletin that eludes to it still using the cable between the foot pump and the motor but there is no provision on the electric wiper motor to mount the second cable and slider. Does anyone have pictures of a truck equipped this way or have any documentation on how it might work? I was wondering if there was a different switch plate, an auxillary pressure switch, or some other arrangement. Thanks for any help you can give.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have the 1957 installation instructions. Do you have the 1954 instructios? Will send a copy if you think it will help.

Gene Schneider
Greg_H Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have 54 washer installation instructions but it only shows the vacuum motor. I would be happy to see any info that you have that might give a clue. Thank You!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Greg, here's a link that might be helpful. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/accessories/1951am/51aim93.htm

Hope that helps.

Ken

Greg_H Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks. AsI understand it,on trucks, 54 was the first year that they put a cable between the foot pump windshield washer and the wiper motor. There is much info on a vacuum wiper motor hookup but very little at all for the electric wiper motor. I never realized that this combination would turn out to be so uncommon. I would have thought that these two options would have gone hand in hand on most trucks that had one option or the other.

Greg_H Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
First off, thanks for the info that has been sent to me and that I have been directed to. It does get me much closer. I thought that I had hit the gold mine when I found a Chevrolet Service Bulletin dated dec of 54 that talks of using the foor pump washer with electric wiper motors. It details problems with correct actuation and an adjustment sequence but it does not give the definitive answer yet. In my mind, these two options or accessories should go hand in hand and I cannot believe that information on using them together is so tough to find. This is just a call out to anyone that may have more info or know someone with archived information that can help fill in the gaps. Thanks again in advance for any help you can give putting this mystery to rest. G.H.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.