Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
hello , im new to this , does anyone know where I look to find the vin number on a 1939 chevy truck?

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hi There and welcome to Chevy Chatter II. It is great that you could join us.

The 1939 truck did not have a "VIN" number. A "VIN" number is a 17 digit code number that was used on vehicles years later. Your 1939 truck has a "serial number" instead. No doubt someone here can give you the exact location of the serial number plate.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
what is a &q ??

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The serial number should be on the right side of the cowl under the hood.
In 1939 most states used the engine number for registration. This number is stamped into the ledge on the right side of the block behind the distributor.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thank youy so much for your help!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hey guys! Brand new to the form and sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I too have a '39 truck that I'm currently building. The original serial plate has been removed from the passenger side (I can still see the old paint from where they removed it), but I still have the original engine.

The number is very legible still, but when I went to look up the format for what the engine serial number should be, it seems to be different than what's found HERE. Everything adds up except the 3rd digit which is VERY clearly a capital 'I'. However, if that 'I' is actually a '1' instead, then the engine number matches the format perfectly (T engine produced in Flint, Michigan based off of THIS DOCUMENT). Is it at all possible to that they used an 'I' stamp on these engines instead of a '1'??

I can post pictures if it would be helpful next time I run over to the garage. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Cheverolet used a capitol I in place of the numeral !....common.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.