Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200891 03/15/11 08:13 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I'm looking for some help on how to install a rock guard on my 31
not sure how it connects.
does any one have any pics?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The stone Guard has a clip on each side which clips in the opening for the headlight wire. Rubber bumpers on the top and sides hold the guard away and snug to the radiator shell.
[Linked Image from i1190.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i1190.photobucket.com]
Hope the pictures help

karl
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There is a three point connection. The top is held by a special bracket that screws into the hole in the radiator shell normally used to hold the emblem. A screw fits into a depression in the surround for the snap in emblem (bow-tie inside an oval with blue and silver stripes). That holds the top. The bottom is held by two studs that fit into the two holes holding the bottom shallow "U" shaped piece attached to the bottom of the shell. The studs have pieces that fit into the inside of the shell to spread the force and provide a flat surface for the lockwashers and nuts. The studs fit into two holes (one on each side of the screen) that are held by two small acorn nuts.

In addition to the three attaching screws and studs two rubber bumpers fit into rectangular slots near the upper corners that keep the screen from rubbing on the shell or osculating in the wind.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I'm confused, did I just read a draft of a tech article for the G&D?
Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There is two different methods to attach the radiator screen at the top onto the radiator shell. This link is the expanding fitting which was used when retrofitting a radiator screen to a 1931 which didn't originally have one.
The factory fitted top fitting is screwed with two screws and a plate on both sides.
Click on the blue underlined link to go to the service news page for the installation.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/bulletins/31csn015.htm

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 03/16/11 03:51 AM.

JACK
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
karl31, The installation you describe is new to me. Do you have some documentation for that installation? What you describe is the way it is done on a Model A. We learn something new every day.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My Stone guard is after market which I bought about 20-25 years ago. I installed it according to the instructions that came with it and it's been on the car ever since. It stays in place, doesn't rattle or move around.
Maybe the guy who was making the units was a F**d guy. He made stone guards for a variety of models. I think his name is Harlen Skaggs, don't where he's located or if he's still in business.

karl
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The rock guard that karl31 pictured and described is an aftermarket originally made for '29-'30 Chevys. It can be installed on a '31 also. It looks and mounts differently from the genuine Chevrolet accessory.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thanks for all the help
Does anyone know where I can get the hardware.
I don't have the rubber mounts or the part that connects to headlight.
also may need new chevy bow tie when I remove mine to install this guard.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Do you have the original screen or replacement?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ken31, If you have a genuine 1931 stone screen , it does not attach to the headlights in any way. As Chipper says , there is only 3 attachment points used.
1. the centre of the radiator shell.
2. The joint at the bottom of the radiator shell has two 1/4" studs fitted after removing the original bolts which have a flat and curved outer face.

(3). There is two rubber blocks fitted into the outer upper corner to space the stone screen off the radiator shell.

JACK
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have posted some photos in the members photos of the factory upper attachment , for 1931 models which had a stone screen as standard equipment from the factory.

These parts are different from the parts shown in the 1931 chevrolet service news, which were used to fit a stone screen to any 1931 chevrolet which did not originally have one.

JACK
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I just took my 31 apart and it was exactly as chipper described.

There is a three point connection. The top is held by a special bracket that screws into the hole in the radiator shell normally used to hold the emblem. A screw fits into a depression in the surround for the snap in emblem (bow-tie inside an oval with blue and silver stripes). That holds the top. The bottom is held by two studs that fit into the two holes holding the bottom shallow "U" shaped piece attached to the bottom of the shell. The studs have pieces that fit into the inside of the shell to spread the force and provide a flat surface for the lockwashers and nuts. The studs fit into two holes (one on each side of the screen) that are held by two small acorn nuts.

My question is, Where to get the studs? One of mine was in bad shape and it broke on removal. I did not see one listed in the catalogs.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Try Don Rossi in Colorado.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You could also make the lower 2 studs from a piece of long threaded rod. A spacer could be silver brazed in the centre to space the stone screen off the radiator shell.

JACK
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Sal Orlando sent me some great pictures of the lower attachment pieces a while ago and I see on your personal file he is going to send you some), and using those it was easy to create the right setup. As far as I know, repos are not available. The most complicated piece is the U/cup-shaped reinforcement for behind the shell/lower shell which should already be on original rad shell. The rest is straight forward.
I used a 1/4" stainless bolt about 1.5" long and after inserting through the 1"dia washer(Sal's pic did not show this), U-shaped filler, shell and lower shell, I put on a stainless washer and nut (slightly filed to shape as in Sal's pic) to fit inside edge of stone-guard. Then I added a second nut to lock it in place leaving enough stud protruding to accept the stone-guard and an acorn nut. I see from Sal's pic that the decorative nuts are more elongated than a standard acorn, but for a driver, standard acorn should be OK.

Finally, the rubber stops keep it about 1/8" off the rad shell and can be made from firm rubber (I used a piece of mudguard)and squeezed in place in the rectangular openings the stone-guard as noted above. It takes a bit of trial and error to get everything evenly spaced off shell as stone-guard is subject to warping easily. The 3 mounting points and the 2 rubber spacers should do it.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Ken,
I sent you a PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.