Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
One benefit of this Forum is knowing like minded guys. Let's create a bit more activity on this site by updating where we are with our old Chevy project. I'll start. Things are slow for me as my wife had Open Heart surgery last week and I'm pressed into service as her care giver. I'm happy to report she is doing excellent and I'll be working on my two 31's shortly. Al W.

It's Wise to choose a six!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she continues to improve. I cleaned out the garage today, and found my 6 volt battery butler so I can recharge tonight and start my '29 tomorrow. Then I'm going to finish soldering the front light connectors. Then I get to do a little work on the Vette.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
about 90% thru the restoration of our 62 fi vet. seats and kick panels and grill installed today. mikie

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Finished wiring a 100 amp sub panel in the garage so I can weld full time. Hope to have the 55 TF pickup road worthy by June.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Have both doors off the '31 Coach and am in midst of putting new bottoms on them using patch panels bought from Bowtie reproductions. Tricky little job, but it beats shoveling snow, which we seem to be getting more of every day lately.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Spent 5 hours doing income tax for low income and elderly as Tax-Aide volunteer. Cleaned up some parts, got two carburetors ready to send back to owners. Picked up trash in yard, installed drain plugs in Boss's pool pump so she can get it ready to put back in service. Finished the registration forms and emailed for 8th VCCA Southern Fall Tour. Now just hanging out on ChatII and sipping on some red wine. Other than that not too much.

Tomorrow plan to get back on pressure testing a few old Chevy heads and maybe making some more wood pieces for the '28 Coach.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Finished stitching up my '31 coach interior.
Now I don,t know what to do.
Sorry to here about your wife. My sister went through that 2 yrs ago and she came close to losing her but is great now. Hope your wife gets better soon.

BUY AMERICAN KEEP AMERICANS WORKING
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Lots of things on the go....
Rims are going to be sent out to be stripped and then primed/painted so new tires can be installed. Got a new rad hose from the filling station. Also recieved new rubber for the windshield. Gonna have a new one made (safety glass). I am going to put new packing in for the water pump and am getting ready to fix the right front fender.

I'm also working on my '83 goldwing. New seals for the front forks have been installed. I'm going to rebuild the calipers for the brakes and while doing that I'm having the seat and backrests recovered. I have to pull the carberators so I can fix a leaking accelerator pump.

Leaving friday for 10 days of winter camping in northern Ontario. After that.... I'm going to need a vacation.

Hope all goes well with your wife and her recovery.
Cliff

not bad, yourself ? Thanks for asking.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Had the pan off the original motor for my '49 so yesterday I checked the mains, they looked OK as did the shaft, took the shims out and retightened. Today I took all the rod caps off and also took out all the shims, from 2 to 4 in each. Tightened each one while the others were loose and I can still push them sideways but much better. Cleaned the oil pump screen which was 99% plugged and cleaned oil pan. As this is just a spare I'll put the pan back on after I do the same to another '31 motor I have and run them for about 2 hrs to see how they do. They both sounded OK before I took the pans off but now with my new hearing aids it might be a different story.

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Glad that your wife is doing so well. That is great news!!

First thing this morning I turned on the computer and went to Chevy Chatter II. After that, I played around on eBay. Then I test started my 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 after a carb. rebuild yesterday. Next, I cleaned up some leaves and checked on my sump pump to make sure it was working correctly after the heavy rains last night.

Thought about restoring a 1930 carb. for a customer and decided to wait until Friday when I have a lot more time to work on it. Went down to Rainey's Market in Sam's Valley and picked up some deck screws, nails and an 1 1/4" foot valve for a pitcher pump. Then, I continued working on a "period" sink counter I'm building for a 141 year old house that we have out on the highway. Getting ready to put the old wood top on around the antique sink and then install a pitcher pump. We are in the process of furnishing the old house with antique furniture and related objects for public tours.

Then, I put a new old stock Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild coach kit that I just received in one of my glass display cases in my museum. After that, I checked out Chevy Chatter II once again. Went out to the shop and tested five 6A8 vintage radio vaccum tubes on my Hickok tube tester for stock. This evening I went to our old house out on the highway to take some measurements for window curtains, and from there I went to the gym and worked out for an hour and a half as part of my regular Tuesday routine. Came home and had a beer and checked out Chevy Chatter II once again.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will continue work on the sink counter for our old house and then help a concrete contractor friend of mine jackhammer a sidewalk along side of my shop in preparation for pouring a large concrete slab in its place. After that, back to the gym again to work out and then I will finish off the day with another beer on tap! drink

Hope to get back on some other car stuff sometime next week. Seems like there is just too much other "things" that constantly need to be done and there just isn't enough time in the day to get them all done.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
rjp Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
31, picked up the rechromed bumpers and 2 sets of lisence plate holders for the front light bar. I will have a extra set for sale. Things are looking good, just about done on the out side. Roger

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
What a great response! Thanks for all the Well Wishes for Judy! A little side note. Between my 6 Cancers and her Heart Valve we have learned to always find the best possible treatment for serious illness. Be your own advocate and use the internet for knowledge. The closer to major cities you can find treatment the better the medicine. Thanks for listening . Al W.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have a cruise in tonight..so I just rolled my 30 out to give it a quick wipe down and sweep out of the floor boards. It seemed a bit cranky about starting so about time for a tune up.. Have been spending a lot of my extra getting ready for our area clubs annual car show on the 26th...Will be glad when that is over.

Wishing your wife 67vet a rapid recovery...

GRITS RULE!!!!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Working on my 31 fuel tank in preparation for some driving this spring. I cut out a section to clean it up inside and will mig it back together. Received a new cork float from Filling Station. Installed two peep style mirrors I received for Christmas. Received shock rebuilding kits from Filling Station. Will be doing that soon.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
You might want to consider using a brass float instead of the cork one. It takes a little modification to the arm or replacement. It only took me a few minutes to make the switch and I don't have to worry about gas and gas additives saturating the float. Got my brass floats from the Filling Station.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
still removing snow from ground and roof and most importantly working on brace replacements-oh boy-so glad to hear you and Judy are doing ok-still can't email you for whatever glitch but thrilled about yours and Judys health

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Started installing the new glass in the '42 Club coupe today. Got the sliding quarter windows in and the glass in one vent window.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
lexey, As you are happy for us, we are happy for you! I see your making progress with your Bracket search. All of us are here for the same thing with these old cars. I would hope you get everything you need for dicounted prices since the USPS screwed up your car. Al W.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Al-yes thanks to your tutorial I am making some progress and members are being very kind but need insurance claim to go through to provide funds necessary to continue-I hope you received my email re brother in law and his sons valve replacement and their success-my best to you and Judy

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
lexey, try emailing me at: awicklu@optonline.net

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.