Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I have seen the 36 1/2 ton trucks with the tail light mounted over the license plate and others under the license plate. It also appears that all the repop brackets are designed with the license plate on top. Does anyone know which Is the correct way?
Thanks,
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
license plate bracket goes on top of taillight on pickups

Walt D
1934 Mstr 4 dr/sidemnts
1937 1/2 ton P/U
1953 Bel Air HT
1946 Aeronca 7-AC Champ
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Richard,
For your '36 pickup, it is likely that the lamp was above the license plate. The bracket currently being offered by the repop guys is correct for '37-'39 but NOT for the '34-'36 pickups. I dropped off an original '35 bracket to Jim Carter a few weeks ago and he is working on reproducing it.
If you look at factory photos of these trucks, it appears that more than one bracket was used, I don't know why. It is evident in the photos that the lamp is in a different spot, relative to the stake pocket.
I could forward the photos to you, as sent to me by WinoWally, if you would like to see them.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Mike:
Thank you for your response. Wally was nice enough to forward those photos to me. That Is what made me post the question, since I had seen them both ways.
Richard

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I became curious about these brackets when my friend Roger, in Wisconsin, asked me about a bracket for his '35 pickup. I went to the weeds to see if my rusty old parts truck had a bracket. It had part of a bracket, enough to indicate that the repops were incorrect.
The Chevrolet Master Parts book shows '34-'36 and '37-'39 to be two different brackets. The vendors have been selling the same part to cover all the years.
Wally bought some small parts from me and I asked him to send me photos of his bracket as part of my "research". It turned out he had the wrong bracket and I sent him a scan from my '36 Gold book with the bracket visible. Wally replied that he also had a Gold Book but had never paid attention to the bracket. He then sent me the photos (really Cool, I might add) which further proved that the bracket used in '36 was not the same as what is available from the vendors.
I do not think the vendors are knowingly selling an incorrect part, they can't know EVERYTHING about every vehicle.
I left my partial bracket with Jim Carter a few weeks ago and he was very interested in bringing a correct part to the marketplace. I may be talking to him today and I plan to ask how the project is going.
BTW, Richard, I am making some progress on the engine pan mounting hardware.

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 01/31/11 11:43 AM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Mike;
I am glad you became curious about the bracket. It always seemed odd that they would put a license plate above a tail light. I did buy my original bracket from Jim Cater, but would be glad to see the correct one for sale.

Happy to hear we are closer on the engine pans. I am waiting to pull my non-adjustable steering box, that has ALL new parts, until I get the pans and can install at the same time.

Richard

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.